Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Series "Renegade"

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 11:10 AM
Renegade ARR
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Info about Renegade bike

I'll answer as many questions as I can for sure! Happy to be on the forum, and see that old school bikes like this will never die!
I spent 2 days at the festival where Lorenzo was Grand Marshal for a poker run as well. I've talked to him for years through phone texts, but this was the first time in person for him to see the bike.
Besides the paint, I completely pieced together and built the bike myself, starting with the engine and frame together already. It's taken years to try to match some of the parts to the show bike. Some of the parts were custom made for the show bike as well.

Does he still own the "A" or Hero bike? How many were there made for the show? Do you know whose concept the bike originally was?
The original bike was Lorenzo's own bike which was a 1991 (it actually had stock softail bars on it at first, before the apes were added for the show). It was sold to a collector in California. The B bikes were primarily used, since the main bike was Lorenzo's, but that was still used for close ups and detailed shots. I didn't ask how many B bikes there were specifically, but there was a few. There were also C bikes, which were Metric bikes that were used for crashes or extreme stunt scenes in quick shots. The bike was mentioned in storyline only as an 89 to those who could never figure out the year.

I love the "take" on the Twin Cam! Brings it right into the 21st Century. I noticed the black fork lowers. Any reason for that choice?
A lot of reasons I choose the twin cam. A modern 'Renegade Reborn' was a cool idea, to still kind of 'make it mine'. I also wanted a bigger engine, which is a 95 bore kit now, because it still was meant to be my actual riding motorcycle. The biggest reason obviously, was the condition of the frame and engine with the price included, to allow the maximum customization funds. I couldn't travel a ridiculous distance to get an Evo in perfect shape at the time, and found no other Softail customs in a buyable distance, anywhere near the shape mine is in. I thought about changing out the black forks, but since it's supposed to be a Renegade 'tribute' bike, I personally think the chrome Renegade word down the sides does that more justice standing out.
If people honestly pick at me or my bike for only having a bigger engine, when it's still a softail custom, I welcome them to make a replica and have it rode and endorsed by Lorenzo as well.

Who did your paint work? Was it a candy color? Some screenshots in the TV series looks like a Candy Orange was used. What did your painter use?
My paint was down by Pinks Auto Custom Paint in Canton, OH. I don't know paint lingo, but it's all done by hand with him making dozens and dozens of drafts to match the show photos I gave him. Also, the later season bikes did have slightly more orange in the flames, because it was a different bike.

More info on the later seasons bike being different than the beginning of the show
Watch closely, the last few season bikes have a stock air cleaner, slightly darker flames, a tool box added to the side, a front hub cap cover added, different saddlebags, no more rear luggage rack, a different seat, and the front turn signals are mounted sideways and not the custom upright mounts like the original bike and like mine. Unfortunately, he couldn't remember (or wasn't allowed to tell me) why the bike changed so drastically. The producer changing perhaps? Who knows.
My bike is based off of Lorenzo's actual bike and the beginning of the show, not the last bike that most people know from google image searches because it was on USA, as well as the B bikes being used for display and convention, which doesn't have the specific parts of the original bike and mine.

And where did you source the custom Chrome Air Cleaner cover at?
I fabricated it myself, using a round bowl cleaner cover as a base

What handle bars are on your bike?
Older LA choppers 12" apes, no longer on their website. But there are plenty of brands close. No definite answer on the brand of original bars, but my only concern was matching the angle, width, and pullback of the original.

Have you ever seen an Original "Renegade" bike" in person?
Not yet. But seeing how Lorenzo himself rode mine, signed it and endorsed it. I don't think it matters if I ever do now lol.

I have to add, my bike was featured in Easyriders Magazine in March 2018. My interview includes the personal reasons I built the bike. I love seeing interest and fans of Renegade all over, but it always bothers me when people think, "I'll get a flame paint job" and that makes it a Renegade bike lol. I've even seen "Renegade bikes" in smaller attraction museums and cafes claiming to be replicas, but I've seen everything from a completely wrong paint job, to wrong seats or sissy bars, and another was even a Springer lol!
I've spent a long time hunting things down, like the Mexican blanket which still is only 85% accurate, as well as by hand modifications I won't reveal, to match parts best I could of those that were specifically made for the show.
In the end, besides the personal family connections to the bike and the show, the best feelings for me are seeing the happiness from the show fans at the bike nights and shows I take it to around the state of Ohio!

Last edited by Renegade ARR; 08-26-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:56 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

Received 990 Likes on 510 Posts

In the last year(s) of the series, the seat, saddlebags, chrome engine accessories/inserts were changed for unknown reasons. The accessories were called "The Illuminator Series" of engine cover accessories. They were billet aluminum pieces. These accessory covers were smooth chrome style with a horizontal indent bar/impression. There was also a larger front wheel hub cover, and the bike had "Iso Peg" front chrome footpegs, and a chrome toolbox on either side of the bike, and in front of the saddlebags. There is a promo picture that clearly shows these differences. Lorenzo Lamas is standing by the bike leaning on a fence nearby. The parts looked more machined. I believe they were made by Harley Davidson. The saddlebags were also changed to a Harley Davidson bags, and the seat was also a Harley Davidson gunfighter style seat with a Harley Davidson script logo. The saddlebags were a lot smaller and had a chrome accent accross the top. There was a Harley Davidson Logo at he front of each bag. These parts are discontinued and nearly impossible to find.

I wonder if the Harley Davidson factory got involved here in the later years of the series production. It was likely they noticed that the series was selling a lot of their bikes for them, and perhaps they got involved as a product placement sponsor. All of the "changed to" parts were made by Harley Davidson. This is just a theory though, and I have never read anything about these later cosmetic changes.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:46 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,044 Likes on 5,577 Posts

Originally Posted by SirHarley
In the last year(s) of the series, the seat, saddlebags, chrome engine accessories/inserts were changed for unknown reasons. The accessories were called "The Illuminator Series" of engine cover accessories. They were billet aluminum pieces. These accessory covers were smooth chrome style with a horizontal indent bar/impression. There was also a larger front wheel hub cover, and the bike had "Iso Peg" front chrome footpegs, and a chrome toolbox on either side of the bike, and in front of the saddlebags. There is a promo picture that clearly shows these differences. Lorenzo Lamas is standing by the bike leaning on a fence nearby. The parts looked more machined. I believe they were made by Harley Davidson. The saddlebags were also changed to a Harley Davidson bags, and the seat was also a Harley Davidson gunfighter style seat with a Harley Davidson script logo. The saddlebags were a lot smaller and had a chrome accent accross the top. There was a Harley Davidson Logo at he front of each bag. These parts are discontinued and nearly impossible to find.

I wonder if the Harley Davidson factory got involved here in the later years of the series production. It was likely they noticed that the series was selling a lot of their bikes for them, and perhaps they got involved as a product placement sponsor. All of the "changed to" parts were made by Harley Davidson. This is just a theory though, and I have never read anything about these later cosmetic changes.

Pretty sure I have one of these air filter covers NIB if you are looking...PM me

Old 08-28-2019, 11:51 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

Thanks Tom, I appreciate it. I have emailed you a message. I already have a set of the Allen style CCI covers For Evo motors. They are not easy to find either.

Last edited by SirHarley; 08-28-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:40 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

LOL! I just looked at the stats for this thread, and it has been going for over 12 years. Over 90.000 page views. That has to be close to a record! I don't think it should ever die.

Ride Hard, Ride On....

Update***there is a general discussion thread on bad experiences at Harley Dealerships in "General Harley Davidson Discussions" that has over a million page views. Go figure. 90K seemed like a lot to me at first.....We should make this a sticky.

Last edited by SirHarley; 08-29-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old 08-31-2019, 10:14 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

ARR...What kind of exhaust is that on your MC? Baloney slash cuts are getting hard to find these days. They were the rage in the 90's. But they worked great, and weren't real expensive thanks to Cycle Shack. (RIP) I ended up calling Paughco Inc. and they made me a set. Took about 6 weeks.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:07 PM
Renegade ARR
Novice

Originally Posted by SirHarley
ARR...What kind of exhaust is that on your MC? Baloney slash cuts are getting hard to find these days. They were the rage in the 90's. But they worked great, and weren't real expensive thanks to Cycle Shack. (RIP) I ended up calling Paughco Inc. and they made me a set. Took about 6 weeks.
The exhaust actually is from cycle shack. Obviously I wanted to keep complete exhaust pipes like the show bike and not slip-ons.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:08 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

Default But...

Originally Posted by Renegade ARR
The exhaust actually is from cycle shack. Obviously I wanted to keep complete exhaust pipes like the show bike and not slip-ons.
The Paughco Super Slash pipes are one piece. From the head to the muffler tip (2-2). How do you know the Originals were Cycle Shack? I heard Cycle Shack was shuttered a while ago. I had Cycle shack slip-ons on my first Evo. They performed best in all the Dyno Shootouts with stock head pipes. And they were considered the best stage one mufflers. Beat Screaming Eagle, and the sound was awesome. In fact I still have them somewhere!

Old 09-01-2019, 10:28 AM
Renegade ARR
Novice

No one really knows for sure what the original pipes were. But seeing how cycle shack made pipes that match the show bikes look and one piece figment and was based out of California, it made sense. I asked Lorenzo, he was not even sure of 25 years ago. All he said was they (the company) sounded familiar, still not sure. Also, if you were to listen to the video of him riding mine, it sounds identical to a clip you could pull from the show. (Won’t let me upload it from my phone on here unfortunately)

Old 09-01-2019, 10:57 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

It makes sense that it was Cycle Shack that made those pipes. They were based in So-Cal at the time, and were hugely popular with the aftermarket Harley riders. They had a great Price/Value business model, and they worked great! Their chroming, however left something to be desired though. From the look of the stunt bike pics above, I feel more assured about the Cycle Shack origins. It looks like the heat shields were replaced at some point in time. Since Lorenzo cant remember where the pipes were sourced, does he remember who designed and built the Original bikes? I'd love to get him into this conversation. We learned from the beginning of this thread that the Original Painter (Tom Morris) has passed away. Lets not let history get away like that again. It's possible that LL had something to do with it, but I bet he was more focused on acting at that time, and let someone else do the work.

I went with Paughco Inc. Super Slash exhaust because their Chroming rivals Harley Davidson OEM. The design is the same as Cycle Shack. I think I will be installing them soon, and will post a pic.

Please PM me with a link to that video. Even if it is not a live link, I can cut and paste it into my browser...And where did you find New Cycle Shack pipes for a Twin Cam?

Last edited by SirHarley; 09-01-2019 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Addendum

Quick Reply: Harley Series "Renegade"