Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Series "Renegade"

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 12:12 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,961 Likes on 5,559 Posts

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
Wasn't that show 20 yrs ago?

Yes it is just slightly older than this thread...which is from 2007.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:21 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

Received 990 Likes on 510 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
Nope. It's was a Dyna Wide Glide in the show. There is a new model that has flames on the tank, SIMILAR to the Renegade bike, but it's not the same.
Are you trolling me? In fact it is a 1990's era Harley Davidson softail. I'm surprised so many MC enthusiasts cant see a 90 softail when they see one. The bike wasn't modified much other than paint and a few chrome goodies. A Dyna has rear shocks exposed. That puts the Dyna theory to rest.

it was a mediocre show, but like a previous poster said, "sometimes I like to watch shows that don't make me think..."

That said....That was One Cool bike! And there were a lot of Hot chicks on that show too....!

Attached Thumbnails  Harley Series "Renegade"-serie_renegado.jpg  
Old 02-19-2018, 08:49 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by SirHarley
Are you trolling me? In fact it is a 1990's era Harley Davidson softail. I'm surprised so many MC enthusiasts cant see a 90 softail when they see one. The bike wasn't modified much other than paint and a few chrome goodies. A Dyna has rear shocks exposed. That puts the Dyna theory to rest.

it was a mediocre show, but like a previous poster said, "sometimes I like to watch shows that don't make me think..."

That said....That was One Cool bike! And there were a lot of Hot chicks on that show too....!
From the pictures, you are correct. I just know I read somewhere that he actually used a Dyna Wide Glide, but can't remember or find where I saw that. Sorry! My mistake.
BTW, that bike on Renegade was my "dream bike" as well.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:13 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

Cool

It is a Harley Davidson Softail. And it was a mediocre show. That has been established by this Forum.

The Dyna Wide Glide (Now Discontinued by HD) has a lower seat profile, and shorter primary set up. The bike in Renegade is definitely a Softail custom. Did you look at the pic I posted? No rear shocks. That's the biggest clue.

Look closely at these pics, and see for yourself. No rear shocks, and a softail rear swing arm. (BTW the shocks are not being hidden by the saddle bags) Also the Dyna has a lower flatter seat profile. The Softail follows the curve of the rear fender. If you ever had a Softail, you would know this. Where you may be mistaken is the front end. The Renegade front end is a Wide Glide Style front end. Common to all Softail Customs. (84-09) The same front end was used on the Dyna Wide glides but the Softail always sported a 21" front wheel. Also keep a close eye on the tail light assembly. Softails have the light under the fender, where the Dyna's have the light mounted on the rear of the fender.

Besides; there is an episode in the series where the character Reno Raines mentions that the bike is an 89' Harley Softail Custom.

That should settle it.

Thanks for your membership in CMA. They do a lot of good in the work of our Lord.

Attached Thumbnails  Harley Series "Renegade"-renegade41el4.7923.jpg    Harley Series "Renegade"-renegade_lorenzo_.jpg    Harley Series "Renegade"-serie_renegado.jpg  

Last edited by SirHarley; 02-19-2018 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Misqouted
The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:29 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

From the pictures, you are correct. I know I read somewhere that he actually used a Dyna Wide Glide, but can't remember or find where I saw that. Sorry! My mistake.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:34 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

It is a Harley Davidson Softail. And it was a mediocre show. That has been established by this Forum.

The Dyna Wide Glide (Now Discontinued by HD) has a lower seat profile, and shorter primary set up. The bike in Renegade is definitely a Softail custom. Did you look at the pic I posted? No rear shocks. That's the biggest clue.

Look closely at these pics, and see for yourself. No rear shocks, and a softail rear swing arm. (BTW the shocks are not being hidden by the saddle bags) Also the Dyna has a lower flatter seat profile. The Softail follows the curve of the rear fender. If you ever had a Softail, you would know this. Where you may be mistaken is the front end. The Renegade front end is a Wide Glide Style front end. Common to all Softail Customs. (84-09) The same front end was used on the Dyna Wide glides but the Softail always sported a 21" front wheel. Also keep a close eye on the tail light assembly. Softails have the light under the fender, where the Dyna's have the light mounted on the rear of the fender.

Besides; there is an episode in the series where the character Reno Raines mentions that the bike is an 89' Harley Softail Custom.

That should settle it.

Thanks for your membership in CMA. They do a lot of good in the work of our Lord.
Thanks. I agree that the show was so-so as well, including the acting, but I think the producers designed it to appeal to both guys (for the bike and fight scenes) and girls (for Lamas taking off his shirt all the time). At the time, it didn't do half bad, but not nearly as good as the producers wanted, so it didn't last too long. Oh well...

Old 08-22-2019, 12:28 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

Rhino 1250....I know this is an Old thread, but you are vindicated! This WAS a Renegade bike from the TV series. I believe it was a stunt bike and is now owned by Stu Segal Productions, the producer that made the TV show. I found that the pic you DL'd was taken at an indoor charity event in Sturgis a while ago. This bike has now appeared again in San Diego, California in a display at a Comic Con museum for a brief appearance. The crash bars convince me that it was a stunt bike, which also explains the less than show-like appearance of the bike overall. The front tire is now a Metzler. The paint to me seems like a cheap copy of the original. But is IS what it IS. The crash bars are long gone, but it is the same bike. Here are some more recent pictures.
Lorenzo Lamas is still rumored to own the "Hero" bike used in the TV series. That explains the minor differences in Appearance. I would love to see more of any pics of the Renegade MC if they are genuine. There are some bad copies out there. One of the best I have seen is a guy who made a Renegade bike out of a Twin Cam Harley Softail. I have posted a pic at the end of this post. He did a nice job, but there are some obvious reason for differences. The paint is perfect in my opinion. I wonder who did it. I have to give Kudos on the reproduction paint scheme.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...309-story.html

Display in Comic Con Museum March 2019

Comic Con Museum Mar 2019
Actor Lorenzo Lamas rode this Harley Davidson in his TV series, "Renegade," that was filmed in San Diego by Stu Segall Productions. It will be on display in Studio 1 at 4705 Ruffin Road this weekend.
(Courtesy photo)

Comic Con Dock pic March 2019

Sturgis Charity Event Appearance date unk

Twin Cam Renegade Bike

Last edited by SirHarley; 08-22-2019 at 03:21 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-22-2019, 03:32 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

This is the "Hero" Renegade Motorcycle....The pics speak for themselves. You can see how much more attention was given to detail. Especially to the paint. I like the first pic here, because it looks like a between scenes back lot picture where they were working on the bike...Lorenzo Lamas is holding an Oil bottle and there is another one on the ground. It's not a screen capture, because it is too clear, and Hi-Def.

Last edited by SirHarley; 08-22-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-25-2019, 11:24 PM
Renegade ARR
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

I just recently found this thread, because I was searching for more photos other people have took of Lorenzo with my Renegade bike from a festival this weekend. It's the tribute bike a few posts before this. I loaned the bike to Lorenzo to use for fan photo shoots with him and the bike while I was there. He made sure to ride it before he left. The picture I attached is one I took myself. I've had his official endorsement of the bike and himself signing it. During our conversations, I also learned all the info about the bike he owned himself 25 years ago. So ask me any questions about his bike, or mine.

Last edited by Renegade ARR; 08-25-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:03 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

Cool Nice Tribute MC! Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for joining the forum! This is an older thread, but interesting subject material seems to keep this one alive. We have lots of questions! You are the only one that has met Lorenzo and talked with him. Does he still own the "A" or Hero bike? How many were there made for the show? Do you know whose concept the bike originaly was? In all of the articles about this bike, I have never seem credit given to the Renegade bike's "Original builder". I think it is time to correct that oversight. A couple of years ago, credit was finally given to the "Captain America creator, Clifford Vaughs not too long before his death.

https://www.npr.org/2014/10/11/35487...obscured-story

We all love the "Renegade motorcycle" as we know it from the TV show. there are some "lesser" quality builds out there as stated earlier in this thread. I think your bike is among the best I have seen and heard about. (Nice bike btw...) I love the "take" on the Twin Cam! Brings it right into the 21st Century. I noticed the black fork lowers. Any reason for that choice?

Who did your paint work? It's about as close as you can get IMHO. May I ask what that work set you back? I have contacted several paint shops in my area, and the only one seeming remotely interested in doing a line for line copy of the hot rod flame scheme wanted an outrageous sum to do so. Do you know the exact paint colors used in the work? I know the "black is black mentality in painters, but I am more interested in the Yellow and Orange used there. The Yellow looks easy, but what Orange was used there? Was it a candy color? Some screenshots in the TV series looks like a Candy Orange was used. What did your painter use?

And where did you source the custom Chrome Air Cleaner cover at? I remember those were popular in the 80's and 90's, but I don't see them any more? Do you know a source? What handle bars are on your bike? Do you know if they are HD? or Aftermarket? Have you ever seen an Original "Renegade" bike" in person? I would love to see some pics of that! and a little story to go with it! I am curious to see who owns them. And how they got them? I believe someday , the Originals will go on the auction block, and some multi millionaires will snap them up. It happens in the car collecting hobby a lot. Then they either restore it, or it is rarely ever seen again. At least Stu Segal Productions keeps bringing one of the originals out once in a while. I believe that was a "stunt bike" (See previous posts) Any info you may have would be appreciated.

I am looking forward to your answers...I have many more questions. I just cant put them all in one reply.

Last edited by SirHarley; 08-26-2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Typo Correction

Quick Reply: Harley Series "Renegade"