Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 SE Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 05:14 PM
badboy52
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 SE Fatboy

I purchased a 05 SE FATBOY 1 month ago. Because of a back injury I was unable to ride this happened the day after the bike was delivered to me. The bike only has 4 miles on it from the dealer I purchased it from. Because I might not be able to ride until spring is there a something I should do before the winter sets in. The bike is on a trickle charger but other than that the bike has just been sitting in my garage. I did wax it and it's always wiped off of any dust on a weekly basis. I just was wondering if there is any harm that may happen because the bike was never ridden and it will sit maybe 3-4 months I expect to be able to ride by end of Decenber but it might be to cold by then. I live in NJ. Any insight and experience would be appreciated.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Finalcut
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 05 SE Fatboy

Keep those solid wheels clean for starters! I've heard a lot of guys complain about the Fatboy wheels getting a lot of corrosion on them in garages over winter.
Also. Find out about the proper way to break that engine in. The Dealer will say take it extremely easy for the first 500 miles, but I've heard that if you don't lean in to it and really give some juice here and there the rings may not seat properly and you'll get blow-by....

I would be concerned with starting a new bike like that and running for just a couple of minutes here and there during the winter in the garage to show friends and stuff.

I'm not suggesting anything here in my reply as far as how you should break your bike in... I'm just throwing some things out for you to look in to. Especially those wheels. Look at the do it your self section on this site. There may be some great tips about winter storage. The do it your self section is awesome - some hard work has gone in to it, and you should check it out for sure.

Picts of my Fatboy
http://www.westbrookadvertising.com/Carls-Bike-3.jpg
http://www.westbrookadvertising.com/Carls-Bike-2.jpg

Old 11-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What color combination did you get? It's a great bike. You'll love it. Keep it clean, protected, and covered. I wouldn't leave the battery on the trickle charger the entire time but maybe put it on every 3 or 4 weeks for a day or so. The break in period is always shrouded with superstition and voodoo. I rode the crap out of my bike for the first 500 miles. I kept it under 3000rpm (mostly) and under 65mph (mostly) for the first 500. I would let it warm up for a minute or so (at the most) before riding it, then go easy for the first few miles until it's warm. My engine uses almost no oil at all. I have 4100 miles on it since new. It is 3 1/2 months old. I had it serviced at 1K and have only added about 8oz of oil since. I agree that starting it for a minute or two to show your buddies is probably not the best thing for it. You need to get enough heat into the engine to burn off any condensation that will naturally form inside the engine.

Old 11-06-2005, 03:00 PM
badboy52
Intermediate

I have the same color combo. I think it's the best out out all the color choices. That being said there all nice, plus my only choices were the red or the silver and I liked the silver combo better. Do you have any mods. I think in the spring I may do pipes If I can get enough $$ together.
The other half does not see things the same way when it comes to bikes. That won't stop me I just have to make the right choice. I don't really want to do any thing else right now. Thanks for getting back to me. Now I need to find some riding buddies.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:57 PM
mattyk007
Novice

SWEET BIKES AREN'T THEY? I HAVE THE RED AND SILVER COMBO, BUT SILVER IS ALSO A TOP CHOICE. IF I WERE YOU, I WOULD INVEST IN A STORAGE BUBBLE. IT PREVENTS ANY MOISTURE OR CONDENSATION FROM GETTING TO THE BIKE. DO EITHER OF YOU GUYS KNOW IF A 160 TIRE CAN BE RAN ON THE REAR? I JUST GOT NEW WHEELS IN AND I NEED TO ORDER THE TIRES.