Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big bore kit and cam combo for 88tc

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 08:39 PM
Aaron Bulman
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big bore kit and cam combo for 88tc

I've read and read since getting my first harley 6 months ago about this and honestly am still stumped. This is my first post and please forgive anything I say thats been talked about in previous posts I didn't see. I have a 2000 deuce. I absolutely love it and I'm very happy I finally made the switch from crotch rocket to hd. My bike has vans and Hines exhaust and heavy breather. My question is 1. Best cam for torque that comes on right at idle and which big bore kit size or does it make a huge dif between a 95 to 98? My harley knowledge is very rookie and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Also if I need or don't need head work to truly appreciate big bore and cam. Im looking to upgrade in the next few weeks. I ride solo always I don't even have a rear seat. I like to ride aggressive and get on it going thru the gears. Hp is not near as important to me as torque. I kno I may sound dumb but I wanna pull the front tire up and or smoke the rear. A torque monster is my goal. I ride a lot and want my bike to still dependable. I've seen graphs on various cams and honestly it's starting to seem like diesel trucks where one set up was great for one guy and exact same for dif was awful. Im trying to stain chain drive and not do the swap for gears. I also understand it's a carburated 88 and I'm being realistic I just wanna 100 torque or better and whatever hp that comes with it. My mechanic recommended andrews over woods and I just haven't found any good graphs or breakdowns of their cams. The s s 551 cam 2 online stores recommended has pretty lackluster reviews without headwork. Im doing oil pump as well as a few other things that I was told need to b done if im opening her up. I'm probably overthinking this cause she ain't a drag bike and I'm sure any one of numerous combos would make me happy I just like to learn and don't wanna be the guy who just takes my bike in and hands over money. I bought an older bike so I wouldn't be scared to repair things on her and to learn. And I've taken my bike apart and put her back together a cpl times. Nothing crazy with engine but enough to feel that bond u only get from working on something urself. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated

Old 12-20-2020, 09:00 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,802 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Welcome to the Forum from Colorado.
1st. Use paragraphs, makes it easier for us to read and separate your thoughts.
2nd, Contact Kirby Apathy, He goes by Prodrag1320 in here. He is a builder based in Florida. I have not dealt with him, but nothing but good things I've seen him comment on and reviews.
3rd, Contact Scott at Hillside in New York. He makes 98" kits built to do what you want. He'll listen to what you have in mind, make suggestions and then build a kit you can install to your specs. Reasonably priced too. He made my 98" kit.
Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by QC:
Aaron Bulman (12-21-2020), eighteight (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 07:11 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,943 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Bulman
. I kno I may sound dumb but I wanna pull the front tire up and or smoke the rear.
I admire your optimism.

The following 4 users liked this post by eighteight:
Aaron Bulman (12-21-2020), GarageJockey (12-21-2020), hattitude (12-21-2020), Iron lHorse (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 08:42 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,637 Likes on 1,256 Posts

You will only be able to use your Deuce for what it was Intended for. And that is Wind Therapy . You should already know the difference between what you had and what you have .

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 12-21-2020 at 08:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
eighteight (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 09:34 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,129 Likes on 4,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Bulman

My question is 1. Best cam for torque that comes on right at idle and which big bore kit size or does it make a huge dif between a 95 to 98?

I ride solo always I don't even have a rear seat. I like to ride aggressive and get on it going thru the gears.

I've seen graphs on various cams where one set up was great for one guy and exact same for dif was awful.

I also understand it's a carburated 88 and I'm being realistic I just wanna 100 torque or better and whatever hp that comes with it.

I'm sure any one of numerous combos would make me happy I just like to learn

Here's my two cents on the subject.....

Your observation about the same cam with varying results between different bikes points out that it's never just one component that makes or breaks a build... It's the combination of components, working together, and then topped off with a really good tune that get the best results... Too many people just throw parts at a build and inadvertently pick components that don't compliment, but actually work against one another...

For example... many times someone will write that they want this or that kind of performance, but want true duals because they like the look/sound/etc... When told there are better exhaust choices for their goals, they will say, "Yeah, I know that, but I really want true duals..." Decide at the beginning whether you want looks, sound, or performance and then choose what's best for you goal... it will be cheaper and more satisfying in the long run...

Find a reputable shop.. a couple were mentioned on here. My vote would be for Scott @ Hillside unless you can verify there is a really good shop local to you. Tell them your bike, riding style, and expectations... Then listen to their recommendations... A good shop knows what works together well and what doesn't...

Good luck with your mods... Enjoy the new bike

Last edited by hattitude; 12-21-2020 at 09:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
eighteight (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 06:24 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 512 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
You will only be able to use your Deuce for what it was Intended for. And that is Wind Therapy . You should already know the difference between what you had and what you have .

I LOVE IT !!
I'll take the blue FX on the end
Thank you !!!!!

Old 12-22-2020, 07:39 AM
samsquanch
Tourer
Received 265 Likes on 144 Posts

There are other options to consider if you are chasing low end grunt.

A good 2-1 pipe WILL make more power down low then what you currently have. Find a used one, sell your own and have possibly made money in the process. (I just picked up an old white brothers pipe, VERY similar to a fuel moto e series or a supertrapp, made a significant change in torque).

Another options is to change your primary sprocket to one with fewer teeth. Stock has 25, you can go as low as 21 (I believe that 21,22 and 23 tooth sprockets require a shorter chain). This will also give your engine further mechanical advantage and deliver more torque to the rear wheel. This can be done for a fairly low price as well.

combine a good diffuser style 2-1 pipe with a 21t sprocket and you will be surprised at the difference it makes. Much MUCH cheaper as well.

If your heart is set on a big bore kit and cams, then that is what you'll do, but be aware, there are other options.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:47 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 903 Posts

The problem with true duals is lack of good scavenging because of no crossover pipe or chamber. Not the case with a 212 and a good set of slip ons. Next best thing to the sound of true duals.
Being a 2in1 doesn't necessarily mean better torque. Some are hp pipes and flat out suck down low. Some flat out suck period just like some 212s.
There's some good 2in1s and some good 212s. Choose one that fits your style.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 12-22-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:05 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 903 Posts

The problem with true duals is lack of good scavenging because of no crossover pipe or chamber. Not the case with a 212 and a good set of slip ons. Next best thing to the sound of true duals.
Being a 2in1 doesn't necessarily mean better torque. Some are hp pipes and flat out suck down low. Some flat out suck period just like some 212s.