Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Alignment Fixes front steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Strgzr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Alignment Fixes front steering issue

I know I have asked you guysabout this many times and gotten a Lot of help here but still felt I had a front end tracking problem. I focused quite a bit of attention on the front end of the bike really to no avail.

My front end tracking problem (front wheel felt like it was tracking to the left compared to the bars) is now finally FIXED!!!!
Today I tookfull 2 turns out of the right rear axial adjuster. This moved the "front of the rear wheel" over to the left substantially.Took it out for a rideand bing!!! Problem gone!!!! Thinking about this lately during rides, it felt like the rear of the bike was hanging out to the right creating a perceived misaligned front end. Problem I have been chasingfor months is now gone. Here is what I have learned.

All this assumesthe front bars are aligned to the top of the tripletree... (this is important)

As in my example, if your front wheel feels like it is tracking to the left (rightbar feels closerthan left), move the rear wheel track over to the left bytaking turns outof the right axial adjuster, and pushing over to re-mate with the adjuster before torquing your axle bolt. Count your turns so you can go back if you want to.

There is a pretty good linkto verify your alignment after... https://www.hdforums.com/m_253026/tm.htm.
After two full turns out of the right adjuster, I verified using HDF Tech's procedure and I was pretty close.

Couple of notes:
---Therear fender is not a good gage of alignment.
---Counting adjuster screw threadsor measuring distances around the direct axle area is not accurate with regard to the rest of the bike anddoes not work.
---A rear wheel misalignment may not be detectable by seeing which way the bike flows when you hands are off the bars unless it is really off. this is probablydue to the crown in the road.

I hope someone finds this helpful andeasierto address than I did. Take care folks!!!!

Mike

Old 07-29-2007, 06:37 PM
jeffflsti
Road Master
Default RE: Rear Wheel Alignment Fixes front steering issue

I keep telling mysellf to do this and will try this tomorrow and post my results.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Strgzr
Tourer

Please do!!! This all makes sense to me now... Don't forget to check out that alignment link... I used a coat hanger and some shrink wrap on the wire. I did not measure mine before but Id be curious to know if yours measures out prior to adjustment.

Mike

Old 07-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should help with rear tire wear also. Glad you got it fixed.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Strgzr
Tourer

On an off note. I have one of those IR temp gages. after a ride around the block, with the road at 125 degrees, my rear tire read 153 degrees and my front was 135. You guys think this makes sense since the rear wheel is driving the bike?

Mike

Old 07-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer

Since the back tire does more work (which is why it wears faster) I would expect it to run hotter than the front. However, I don't know what an appropriate temperature would be.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:26 PM
T Rat
Tourer

Myself and a friend of mine just replaced my pulley, rotors, and brakes yesterday on my luxe. We did the measure from the center of the swingarm belt as prescribed by the manual. With exact measurements the belt tracked inside from the original alignment on the drive pulley.

We took a piece of kite string and fixed a loop in one end then looped it over the axle bolt on the left side of the rear wheel. We then laid the string in a low groove on the tire and ran it level to the front of the bike. All four high points of the wall of the tire (i.e. rear tire, rear high wall and rear tire front high wall to the front tire and so forth.) The rear tire front highwall was off about an 1/8 of and inch inset. While my friend held the string I turned the right adjuster until it just touched the tire in both spots on the back tire, aligning both tires as true as possible. Suppose you could get dead on with a good laser!

Old school alignment.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Strgzr
Tourer

ORIGINAL: T Rat

Myself and a friend of mine just replaced my pulley, rotors, and brakes yesterday on my luxe. We did the measure from the center of the swingarm belt as prescribed by the manual. With exact measurements the belt tracked inside from the original alignment on the drive pulley.

We took a piece of kite string and fixed a loop in one end then looped it over the axle bolt on the left side of the rear wheel. We then laid the string in a low groove on the tire and ran it level to the front of the bike. All four high points of the wall of the tire (i.e. rear tire, rear high wall and rear tire front high wall to the front tire and so forth.) The rear tire front highwall was off about an 1/8 of and inch inset. While my friend held the string I turned the right adjuster until it just touched the tire in both spots on the back tire, aligning both tires as true as possible. Suppose you could get dead on with a good laser!

Old school alignment.
[align=left][/align]
Sounds like alot of work too. Hey, just to clarify, I measured using a coat hanger (streight as you can get it with a piece of shrink wrap on it to slide forward and back) and hooking one end around the swingarm inner bearing tube. That transends to both ends of the bike. Just hook it in and measure to the center of the axle ends. I need to try your method and check for accuracy...

Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 PM
jeffflsti
Road Master

My bike tracks more straight now. I didn't make time to do the measurement thing but guessed at it and lossened right side and tightened the left side one rotation of the adjustment bolts..

Old 07-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Strgzr
Tourer

Cool.That was really bothering the crap out of me....

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Alignment Fixes front steering issue