Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End shaking above 65M/H

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Strgzr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front End shaking above 65M/H

Check the lower triple tree Pinch Bolts!!!

Old 07-29-2007, 10:29 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your bike is HAPPENING is Volks!!

DeanO

Old 07-30-2007, 10:39 AM
KY23
Tourer

Sorry...bad post. Saw yours was a FXST and my problem wasn't related.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:48 PM
supra6909
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i've got a deuce, 21" front tire mh90 width, i had a lot of front wobble on the hwy with and without my w/s. took to the dealer and they said it was normal. after several posts on a couple forums i took to a local shop and he tightened the head bolt and i changed to a avon 90/90 (a little wider tire). i was to the point of trading because i didn't feel safe on the hwy, love the bike now, can't tell you if it was the head bolt or the tire but big difference now.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:55 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: supra6909

i've got a deuce, 21" front tire mh90 width, i had a lot of front wobble on the hwy with and without my w/s. took to the dealer and they said it was normal. after several posts on a couple forums i took to a local shop and he tightened the head bolt and i changed to a avon 90/90 (a little wider tire). i was to the point of trading because i didn't feel safe on the hwy, love the bike now, can't tell you if it was the head bolt or the tire but big difference now.
the tire on it was put before I purchase it by the pevious owner, he had to do it for safety, it is a dunlop, so I am guessing I should switch.. Question is which of these Metzlers/Avon/DUnlop are better handling tires ?.. I don't mind changing tires more often if I get superior handling.

My question regarding the Head Bolt, reamin the same, is this what the service manual calls, fork stem bolt ? the one that is under the Chrome cap ?.

Thank you guys for your help.

A.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:09 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the fork stem bolt is the same. Check your fork oil level, my chopper has a wide glide and when the fluid is low it will "top out" with a clunk like you describe on large bumps. This could also relate to the wobble in that when you accelerate the fork extends. If the fluid is low you will lose the shock absorbing action and any bouncing could translate to a wobble.Sounds like you or a knowledgable person should check out the bike top to bottom. Good Luck

Old 07-30-2007, 02:28 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

Sounds like you or a knowledgable person should check out the bike top to bottom. Good Luck
Thank you, that is an 'exclusive Or' .

I have no choice but to take it to the Dealer, the shops in Toronto ontario outside Harely (I tried 2 so far, ) are nothing short of scam artists, and they give you this horrible feeling that you are 12 and someone is going to kill your dog and steal your bike [:@]

Regards

Ahmed K.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Strgzr
Tourer

Have you verified the torque of your lower triple tree bolts?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:55 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

Next to check, funny thing is.. I took two long rides and the wobble seems to have gone !!!![>:]

Old 08-01-2007, 01:05 PM
BlueDragon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The front tire may be cupping as well... this will cause an uncomfortable vibration at certain speeds~ Dunlops are known for cupping the most... from my experience anyhow~ Make sure to keep up on your tire pressures diligently to prevent cupping from happening~

Not to scare, but to educate... this was in this mornings local news~

TAMPA - Investigators say a motorcycle swerved into the path of a minivan on Morris Bridge Road Monday evening, causing an accident that killed two people.
Witnesses told investigators that a Harley Davidson motorcycle was traveling north on Morris Bridge Road when the tire on the motorcycle began to wobble. The motorcycle then veered into the path of the van.
Both riders of the motorcycle -- 43-year-old Charles Francis Viveros and 38-year-old Susan Lynn Ferrara, both of Zephyrhills -- were thrown from the bike and killed in the ensuing collision.
The family of four inside the minivan was hospitalized, all with non-life-threatening injuries.

May these fallen riders R.I.P.
Hope you find your problem and get it fixed soon...

Quick Reply: Front End shaking above 65M/H