Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flush Mount (popup) Fuel Cap and Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scheers44
I think mine went on in 08. And the LED went out within 6 months. The caps busted 2 or 3 times and its gettin frustrating. Any of yalls gas cap sit above the trim ring or all yalls pretty flush?
I just snug mine up and thats it, no issues. Mine are flush, when you install the trim ring did you test fit it before you stuck it on? I'm sure you did but I turned mine around many times as it is only flush in one spot.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 AM
PLHbrian
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had no issues with them. The popup fuel cap is also saving the paint from swirl marks I used to have to polish out from my gloves rubbing while removing the stock gas cap.

The install was simple with just one modification to the instructions. The instructions called for moving the tank back to get to the stock fuel gauge wiring harness connector and I didn't do that. I pulled the original gauge from the tank and cut the wires. I soldered the connector from the new LED gauge to the original wiring harness.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:17 AM
chrisr99
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My install was really easy. I didn't realize they had problems however so I'm going to start covering them when washing etc.

Good advice!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:36 AM
myfhfb06
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen on ebay for my bike there are two different part numbers 62818-08 and 62818-08A. What's the difference?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Scheers44
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man i messed with that trim ring way longer than I should have, As picky as i am if anyone would have watched me they would have thought i was retarded... I got it to the closest point of flush with the cap when i had the cap snugged up.. I just hope i can sweet talk the parts lady into exchanging the set! ha ha ha

Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
DanD
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myfhfb06
I have seen on ebay for my bike there are two different part numbers 62818-08 and 62818-08A. What's the difference?
the "a" would be the revised version.every revision gets a letter added to the end of the part number sequentially,so you always want the latest revision of any part.the -08 means the part came out in 08.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:50 AM
myfhfb06
Tourer

Originally Posted by DanD
the "a" would be the revised version.every revision gets a letter added to the end of the part number sequentially,so you always want the latest revision of any part.the -08 means the part came out in 08.
Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking but didn't know for sure.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:24 AM
hksigman
Road Master

i have three sets of these gauges-on my nitetrain, my roadking and on my deluxe

The set on the deluxe are the only ones still working properly.
The nitetrain and the roadking the LED lights do not all work. the gas cap on the nitetrain has "exploded" while in the screwed on position...

The roadking set only lights up 1/2 the lights- from 1/2 to full...luckily the low fuel light on the dash works...

the set on the nitetrain the LEDs work intermittenly

They look bitchin; though does anyone on here really depend on their gauge to tell them how much gas they have left? I know around 150 miles on my trip meter to start lookin for a gas station

Old 04-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink flush mount

I had the dealer install mine and now they are under warranty for two years. Have not had any problems as yet, haven't washed it or ridden in the rain, so don't know about the water issue. . . . sure do like the way they look.

my .02

Old 04-10-2010, 11:55 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

For those of you that have these, quick question. I installed mine today, pretty easy, very straightforward, the gas cap is "pretty" flush, couldn't find the "perfect spot.

On the fuel gauge, Is it at and angle. What I mean it, I expected the little gas symbol and gauges to line up parallel with with console, and it appears that the gauge is angled, maybe 20 degrees or so, from parallel. Sort of angled toward the rider? Is that right?

Hope I'm clear enough.

Quick Reply: Flush Mount (popup) Fuel Cap and Gauge Install