Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A very strange issue and solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 02:27 PM
Joseph Jerry Hache
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Default A very strange issue and solution

Hello all.
I'm basically looking to see if ANYONE has run into this problem. 2008 Heritage softail, K&N Stage one air filter with stock exhaust and Power commander 2. WAS running 100% better than stock. Decided to put in an external breather with Catch can. Went for a 100 mile run. Started off running beautifully. Than all of a sudden it started to stall when I'd come to a stop. Got progressively worst as if the cut down was going way too low. Idle would just drop and the engine would stall. Was pulling out my hair trying to figure what I'd done, and the only thing was the external breather and catch can. So, I removed the Catch Can, and ran the line under the bike to the atmosphere without filter (the tube is dry). Went out for another 100 miles or so at all speeds and the Stalling completely went away. Just can't figure how a catch can would cause that, but evidently it did. Has anyone heard anything like this before?

Old 10-24-2020, 03:14 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 450 Likes on 294 Posts
Default catch can

Originally Posted by Joseph Jerry Hache
Hello all.
I'm basically looking to see if ANYONE has run into this problem. 2008 Heritage softail, K&N Stage one air filter with stock exhaust and Power commander 2. WAS running 100% better than stock. Decided to put in an external breather with Catch can. Went for a 100 mile run. Started off running beautifully. Than all of a sudden it started to stall when I'd come to a stop. Got progressively worst as if the cut down was going way too low. Idle would just drop and the engine would stall. Was pulling out my hair trying to figure what I'd done, and the only thing was the external breather and catch can. So, I removed the Catch Can, and ran the line under the bike to the atmosphere without filter (the tube is dry). Went out for another 100 miles or so at all speeds and the Stalling completely went away. Just can't figure how a catch can would cause that, but evidently it did. Has anyone heard anything like this before?
Did your catch can have a vent line on it? If it wasn't vented it would cause stalling by making too much back pressure in the rocker boxes

The following users liked this post:
DrPlastic (10-27-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 07:02 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Curious to know what kind of catch can you used .

Old 10-24-2020, 07:25 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

First thng comes to mind, 2008, upgraded the tuner. Did you re-map it as you added?

Old 10-24-2020, 08:23 PM
Joseph Jerry Hache
Cruiser

this is the catch can that I used.. Supposed to breath thru the top holes. I'm thinking NOT.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:30 PM
Joseph Jerry Hache
Cruiser

Tampa_Fatboy.....Well I didn't remap just for the external breather. Just ran the map with the Fuel Moto map for the Stage one Air cleaner and stock exhaust. I wouldn't think a remap would be required for just the breather. Any way, like I said originally, the problem is solved. I may put a K&N filter at the end of the hose, but will stay away from the can. Just couldn't figure it out. I think that gerald martin may be correct though. Maybe this particular can just didn't breath correctly.

Last edited by Joseph Jerry Hache; 10-24-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:55 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,194 Likes on 4,401 Posts

No need to remap for an external breather....

I'll bet the catch can, for whatever reason, wasn't venting....

The following 4 users liked this post by hattitude:
Campy Roadie (10-27-2020), Duracell (11-12-2020), Joseph Jerry Hache (10-24-2020), MyFavRk (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 08:58 PM
Joseph Jerry Hache
Cruiser

I think you are correct. It wasn't venting for some reason.. I may give it a good look-see and see if the holes were blocked or something. OR I may just put a regular filter on it.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:01 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 450 Likes on 294 Posts
Default catch can

Originally Posted by Joseph Jerry Hache
this is the catch can that I used.. Supposed to breath thru the top holes. I'm thinking NOT.

I have seen catch cans like that, they have a bunch of plastic mesh in them and get clogged up as quickly as you go through one tank of gas. they are far too small. If you use a catch can they should hold at least 5 to 6 ounces of liquid and should also be vented to the atmosphere

The following users liked this post:
Joseph Jerry Hache (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 09:02 PM
Joseph Jerry Hache
Cruiser

Agree.. will be going with a filter.

Quick Reply: A very strange issue and solution