Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Spoke Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 08:27 PM
Speedevilus
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fatboy Spoke Wheel Question

Hi Everyone,
I have a Fatboy 2008 with 17 x 6 Rear wheel and 17 x 3.5 Front wheel which I believe are standard sizes.

I want to put a pair of Chrome Fat spoke wheels on the bike and planning to put a 21 x 3.5 front which I am hoping would be a straight swap and just use an uplift bracket to lift the fender. But for the Rear they don't do 17 x 6 and they either come as 16 x 3.5 or 18 x 3.5 or 18 x 5.5 which is my preference as it lets me to use my 200 Tyre.

Unfortunately in the UK finding answers is far too difficult and trust me I have tried so I am not sure what spacers I would need and most people who sell these on eBay usually come back with "we ca'tn advise you on fitting" which is useless. I know as I am moving to 21" front I would need to drop the front forks and am planning to use Drop In Progressive springs but the rear is also increasing in size by an inch so not sure what to do with that! Also what happens with the Jiffy stand as I start to mess with different size wheels?

I have been watching this forum for a few months and I know there is a world of knowledge between you guys so any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance

Andrew

Old 10-14-2020, 04:48 PM
Steven725
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewMaleknia
Hi Everyone,
I have a Fatboy 2008 with 17 x 6 Rear wheel and 17 x 3.5 Front wheel which I believe are standard sizes.

I want to put a pair of Chrome Fat spoke wheels on the bike and planning to put a 21 x 3.5 front which I am hoping would be a straight swap and just use an uplift bracket to lift the fender. But for the Rear they don't do 17 x 6 and they either come as 16 x 3.5 or 18 x 3.5 or 18 x 5.5 which is my preference as it lets me to use my 200 Tyre.

Unfortunately in the UK finding answers is far too difficult and trust me I have tried so I am not sure what spacers I would need and most people who sell these on eBay usually come back with "we ca'tn advise you on fitting" which is useless. I know as I am moving to 21" front I would need to drop the front forks and am planning to use Drop In Progressive springs but the rear is also increasing in size by an inch so not sure what to do with that! Also what happens with the Jiffy stand as I start to mess with different size wheels?

I have been watching this forum for a few months and I know there is a world of knowledge between you guys so any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance

Andrew

21 should fit no problem but like you said you'll need to fab up the fender or buy a new one. As far as the rear wheel the 18x5.5 is what you'll need for a 200mm tire. If you put a 21 up front you will be raising the front end up roughly 2 inches. If you do the 2 inch drop in kit then you'll go down 2 inches (just make sure you're good on clearance). For the rear, you won't notice the roughly half inch rise. Your stock kick stand will probably work.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:00 AM
Speedevilus
Novice

Thank you Steven,
Just the help I needed, much appreciated.

Andrew

Old 10-15-2020, 09:03 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,935 Likes on 4,695 Posts

Same wheel sizes i went to. The front end will feel heavier at low speeds but more solid on the highway. It takes getting used to, but otherwise nothing to be concerned with.

You don't need to lower the front, but can and you'd only lose some suspension travel.

The kickstand will work just fine, but it will lean into a bit more. A little unsettling at first but again, nothing to worry about.

Most important, it's gonna look cool. 😎

Old 10-15-2020, 09:11 AM
Speedevilus
Novice

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
Same wheel sizes i went to. The front end will feel heavier at low speeds but more solid on the highway. It takes getting used to, but otherwise nothing to be concerned with.

You don't need to lower the front, but can and you'd only lose some suspension travel.

The kickstand will work just fine, but it will lean into a bit more. A little unsettling at first but again, nothing to worry about.

Most important, it's gonna look cool. 😎
Thank you so much,
The only other option is to go both 18" front and back which is cheaper and straight swap with no need for any suspension or jiffy stand change or adjustment. I just thought 21" may look better as it is much bigger but been told it wouldn't look right on the standard FatBoy Fender due to its radius. But changing the fender is not an option as my bike has a very special custom paint.
Over here in the DNA 52 spoke or FAT Daddy 50 spoke wheels are so expensive as they come from US around £1000 each including post and import taxes. However, a German company sells the 36 Fat spoke wheels for around £600 for both the front and rear. I just hope the 36 spoke looks just as good.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:53 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,935 Likes on 4,695 Posts

Wheels are expensive for these bikes. I spent around $4k between the wheels, brakes, and rotors. But that wasn't in one shot, it was over time. Still no regrets, I'd do it again tomorrow If I had to.
Not spokes, but 18R 21F

The following users liked this post:
MCSarge (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 02:47 AM
Speedevilus
Novice

It was worth it my friend, your bike looks awesome