Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007 | 10:37 PM
stone_rider420
|
Novice
Default Excessive Brake Dust

I bought a 2007 Fatboy last week and I have noticed an excessive amount of brake dust built up on the rear wheel. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and if so what did you do to fix the problem. I think it just crappy brake pads but perhaps there is another reason. If I brake at all its moderate at best and down shift the rest of the time. So Im not sure what is with all the break dust. Im going back to the dealer this wknd but was looking for input outside the dealership.
Any ideas and info about this will be appreciated.

Old 07-27-2007 | 10:43 PM
mean green
Road Captain
Default RE: Excessive Brake Dust

I put Lyndall brake pads "z" on my softail deluxe. They are far superior than the stock pads in not leaving brake dust, really notice with the white walls.

Old 07-27-2007 | 11:16 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mean green

I put Lyndall brake pads "z" on my softail deluxe. They are far superior than the stock pads in not leaving brake dust, really notice with the white walls.
Agreed. I put Lyndall Z-Plus pads on my ride last summer. They kick off almost NO dust at all, grip better and I still have about lots left after having put 12000 over miles on them since.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 07-28-2007 | 12:33 AM
Waltman
Tourer

I also have an 07 FB and the brake dust is normal, just clean it. I will also upgrade as recommmended by others when the time comes.

Old 07-28-2007 | 01:01 AM
spike95
Road Master

Where do you get the best deal on the Lyndall Z Plus pads? I just changed my brake pads with an OEM set and I'm not happy with the stopping power. Will they make a very noticeable difference?

Old 07-28-2007 | 02:08 AM
mean green
Road Captain

got mine from zanottis, couldn't beat the price.

Old 07-28-2007 | 07:59 AM
zoomie67
Tourer

They stop way better than the stockers and don't make that grinding sound (metal to metal). I have themon polished rotors with no noticable wear to the roto or the pads after 5000 miles.

Old 07-28-2007 | 08:56 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Riders Club Member

At the same time I switched to the Lyndall Z pads I also added a chrome floating front brake rotor. Stops on a dime now.

Old 07-28-2007 | 11:12 AM
clutchglass
Road Master

Stone,
I noticed you mentioned something about down shifting. The one thing you do NOT want to get in the habit of doing...is using your drive train to slow you down. Those parts are MUCH more expensive than brake pads, You'll find your drive belt, sprockets, clutch, tranny & even your engine will get much less wear & tear (and last longer) if you let your pads/rotors catch all the force of slowing you down.
As far as the dust goes, I seem to get quite a bit on the rear end of my 06 softail as well. Unfortunately, I changed my pads 5,000 miles ago & put the stock pads back on...after reading what these guys are saying about the Lyndall Z pads...they will most definetly be my next set. Thanks for the info guys.
-Clutch-
P.S. Do any of you remember what you paid for Lyndall Z pads?

Old 07-28-2007 | 11:47 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

If I remember correctly, I paid around $80.00 for 2 sets last summer. I got them from a vendor on Ebay. The pads are really a lot better tha the stockers!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: Excessive Brake Dust