Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is low-speed surge normal for EFI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:32 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Is low-speed surge normal for EFI?

Hey Chief- you're right....that would be some lugging. I'm former Navy (E6- CTM1) (1973-1980). I'm lovin life right now.

And Oldtimer- thanks for the troubleshooting tip. I have paid special attention to my "surging" - the engine doesn't change its song; so I'm guessing I am being sensitive to all the inter-connecting torques (chain, belt, etc.). I will mention my symptoms to the dealer at 1k and let them take a look.

I got a good ride in yesterday, now showing 420 miles on the odometer. My only wish now is for a throttle-lock so I can shake my right fingers once in a while without the decel. (slight case of carpel-tunnel I guess).

Old 07-29-2007, 08:41 AM
smitbrad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never had surging until yesterday after I got my bike back from the dealer. I had SE AC and SERT installed and dyno. Now in first or second gear I've noticed the bike will occationally surge if I'm coasting up to a stop sign.

I'm now also getting a lot of popping and gurgling. I've read several threads and they say that the dyno should take care of that....but mine has gotten worse. I'm not sure what to do now. On Monday I'll call my dealer and complain and see what they have to say.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:39 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like 1 of 2. Either way, a trip to the dealer and some time on a Dyno should take care of it.

1. They didn't get things just right with the Dyno and need to fine tune some more.

2. They did not Dyno you the first time. Instead they just loaded the canned Stage 1 map. The canned map now needs fine tuning to your bike.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:26 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

ORIGINAL: PoorBoy
I got a good ride in yesterday, now showing 420 miles on the odometer. My only wish now is for a throttle-lock so I can shake my right fingers once in a while without the decel. (slight case of carpel-tunnel I guess).
They don't come with a throttle lock screw anymore?

Old 08-25-2007, 09:23 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

My wifes 08 Heritage surges pretty badwhile trying to hold a constant throttle, feels like someoneturning the ignition on and off real fast,and after 800 miles the engine is starting to backfire quite a bit as well. I had the same thing happen with my 06 Ultra, drove me crazy. I don't know what causes the surge but seems the more drive-line slack you have and the lower the gear your running in the worse it is.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:51 AM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmsurveyors

My wifes 08 Heritage surges pretty badwhile trying to hold a constant throttle, feels like someoneturning the ignition on and off real fast,and after 800 miles the engine is starting to backfire quite a bit as well. I had the same thing happen with my 06 Ultra, drove me crazy. I don't know what causes the surge but seems the more drive-line slack you have and the lower the gear your running in the worse it is.
You really need to see a therapist... all these imaginary problems with all years Harleys you've had have got to be wearing on your nerves. I pity your dealer and the MOCO for having to put up with your delusional ramblings.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:13 AM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

suffering constant surging problem ...happens every time I twist my right wrist ....
the bike needs to be ridden hard ! enjoy
grzly

ORIGINAL: PoorBoy

Trying to ride as much as possible in between rain storms (all week), I am only 300 miles intomy honeymoon.

If I take the long way out of my neighborhood (30mph) I stick to second-gear for almost one mile. I have noticed that the bike "surges" its way along no matter how steady I try and keep the throttle. Physically feeling fast-slow-fast-slow, etc. beneath me.

I am learning that Harleys hate low speed and are their happiest above 3000 rpm. Without a tach, I am guessing that I am below 3000 rpm in my 25-35mph drift out of the hood.

Running out on the road I don't notice any surging at faster speeds in various gears. So, is all this normal for EFI machines trying to go slow?

The 2008s still run HOT, I'm sure factory-lean, and I think I remember reading a thread that surging is from being too lean?

Your thoughts anyone?

Cheers!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:47 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys are GREAT. Now approaching 2k on the clock, I am either totally use to how this bike runs, or I really don't care about any quirks.

I have Stage 1 done now, and Yes....a brand new brand new bike. Wow. The FB pulls harder, runs cooler, and sounds awesome. I have noticed that my FB is least happy on the road while it is still warming up. Fortunatly, I am low-speed coasting through the hood while she is warming up. By the time I hit the road all is good.

I have a few decel issues with the FuelPak,and will be contacting V&H for some hints.

Cheers!

Old 08-26-2007, 08:08 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never have a surge in my 07 Fat Boy. I have SE A/C, SERT and Cobra 2 into 1 pipes. Funny thing though - on vacation I rented a 2007 Duece, which I assume was stock. That bike surged once on me in a cul-de-sac in second gear. That scared the C-Rap out of me. Very abrupt occurence I must say.

Brent.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:32 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 07 Custom does that from day one. Some do it some don't. It's lean, but at a none significant rpm so won't hurt anythng other than a jerky rike. Once up in rpm it goes away. Will be installing a Tmax in the winter so it should take care of that for next year.
Ron