Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

200mm Hogpro kit on Deuce

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 01:38 AM
FatBoy2five0
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 200mm Hogpro kit on Deuce

You might want to look at the Heartland kit , they also make a kit for a 180 , includes strut and fender , also gives you the option of their passenger seat which really kicks *** , it includes a sissy bar and seat , it rides about an inch over your rear fender without touching it so it wont screw up your paint, and only takes about 10 seconds to take on or off.
their website is www.heartlandbiker.com check out my gallery and there is a pic of sissybar/backseat with and without seat on it

Old 11-29-2005, 02:06 AM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: FatBoy2five0

You might want to look at the Heartland kit , they also make a kit for a 180 , includes strut and fender , also gives you the option of their passenger seat which really kicks *** , it includes a sissy bar and seat , it rides about an inch over your rear fender without touching it so it wont screw up your paint, and only takes about 10 seconds to take on or off.
their website is www.heartlandbiker.com check out my gallery and there is a pic of sissybar/backseat with and without seat on it
Deuce doesnt need a wide tire kit for a 180 tire. The deuce is set up stock to already accept a 180 on a 17" rim with only a few simple mods. The Heartlander 180/200 kits are made mostly for the standard softail models(Unless you want to spend a good extra chunk of money to go to a 200mm LOL!). When you gonna post some install pics of your setup btw? Your slackin.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:32 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

We deal in facts, not opinions. We thoroughly test our products before we offer them for sale. We were installing 180's on the *** end of softails with belts 5 years ago when most HD dealers didn't even know what size tires came on a Deuce! We do more wide tire conversions in a month than many shops do in years. Here are some facts:

1. A 200 Avon AM42 or AM23 will SAFELY fit between a stock DEUCE rear fender on a 18 x 5.50" rear wheel with the correct hub in the wheel. Even on a lowered bike.

2. The 2006 Harley Davidson 13/16" drive belt is stronger than the 1-1/8" belt it replaced. This same 200 conversion will work perfectly on any 2000 - 2005 softail by replacing the stock fender with a 9" rear fender. (A Deuce uses a 9.5" rear fender)

Here are a couple of pictures. Please visit our site or call our tech line for any wide tire questions. Thanks, Jerry @ Hogpro

www.hogpro.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/3945/0BD2078AAEA0457981ED9B9973A077F9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3945/2FF0E3C6E90C4A1CB1FA92DDF9B1467F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3945/BA03581E55BF4A7E99165C8A51023ACB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3945/4E8CAC2806E14A8FA769170AFE9CA33F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3945/CA12C61C1EFA4E3CB3E69EBCB13B8C9F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-05-2005, 01:49 AM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: Hogpro

We deal in facts, not opinions. We thoroughly test our products before we offer them for sale. We were installing 180's on the *** end of softails with belts 5 years ago when most HD dealers didn't even know what size tires came on a Deuce! We do more wide tire conversions in a month than many shops do in years. Here are some facts:

1. A 200 Avon AM42 or AM23 will SAFELY fit between a stock DEUCE rear fender on a 18 x 5.50" rear wheel with the correct hub in the wheel. Even on a lowered bike.

2. The 2006 Harley Davidson 13/16" drive belt is stronger than the 1-1/8" belt it replaced. This same 200 conversion will work perfectly on any 2000 - 2005 softail by replacing the stock fender with a 9" rear fender. (A Deuce uses a 9.5" rear fender)

Here are a couple of pictures. Please visit our site or call our tech line for any wide tire questions. Thanks, Jerry @ Hogpro
A 200 will fit safely between the stock Deuce fender rails without any modification to the struts or the mounting hardware? I know a 180 will and have the correct safety clearance, but I dont see a quarter inch gap on either side, not even close with that 200, especially an oversized Avon 23. How about posting some pics of that setup WITHOUT the fender in place(but with the fender mounting brackets in place still)? I would be very scared to take the bike pictured hard into a corner(especially if its lowered) knowing the amount of flex the axle,rim and tire and swingarm combined can levy at speeds.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

You keep bringing up safety? A deuce has a half round wiring and strut cover on each side inside of the fender. We have never encountered any rubbing, but lets say your the tire touched one or the other sides of those rails under "Hard cornering". There is nothing sharp or jaged to catch the tire anyway. Remember, this is a custom installation. Not a Harley accessory catalog item. It works well and we continue to sell these kits, including to Harley shops.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

You keep bringing up safety? A deuce has a half round wiring and strut cover on each side inside of the fender. We have never encountered any rubbing, but lets say your the tire touched one or the other sides of those rails under "Hard cornering". There is nothing sharp or jaged to catch the tire anyway. Remember, this is a custom installation. Not a Harley accessory catalog item. It works well and we continue to sell these kits, including to Harley shops.
All softails run their wiring round the upper part of the fender, the wiring isnt the concern. The pictures shown above. Are they not stock fender strut covers and a stock fender assembly on that Deuce? How is the fender being secured? How about showing some internal pictures with the fender OFF? I wouldnt want to have the tire rubbing on anything whether its sharp or smooth. That sets up for a dangerous situation to the rider in many ways.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:00 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Hey Mega. You have the right to your opinion. We do not alter the inside of the fender at all. The bolts that hold the fender to the struts and the wiring are both covered by the same thing on a deuce. The half round tubing running down each side of the fender. A 200 tire fits between these tubes. It is tight but there is no rubbing. It will not clear with saddle bag hardware.

We don't remove the rear fender when we do this conversion, but should we have the occasion to do that I will be happy to provide pictures. In the mean time, relax and refrain from putting people down just because you disagree with them.

Thanks, Jerry @ Hogpro

Old 12-06-2005, 04:06 AM
MegaHDman
Banned

Hey Mega. You have the right to your opinion. We do not alter the inside of the fender at all. The bolts that hold the fender to the struts and the wiring are both covered by the same thing on a deuce. The half round tubing running down each side of the fender. A 200 tire fits between these tubes. It is tight but there is no rubbing. It will not clear with saddle bag hardware.

We don't remove the rear fender when we do this conversion, but should we have the occasion to do that I will be happy to provide pictures. In the mean time, relax and refrain from putting people down just because you disagree with them.

Thanks, Jerry @ Hogpro
Takes about 5 minutes to remove a fender on the Deuce, so please do post a picture, even though I can garentee the pictures will show almost 0 clearance between the sidewall of that 200mm tire and the bracket nut plate that secures the fender to the steel strut horns. And it may be fine and dandy for a show bike thats not ridden, but I personally could never install one in good conscience for a customer who plans on riding the bike that wants to keep the stock Deuce fender assembly intact without modifications. SAFELY fitting a tire inside a fender means making sure there is the proper clearance all around the tire so that the swingarm and tire assembly can flex, expand and contract without coming into contact with other parts of the bike during operation. This holds true whether dealing with HD catalogue parts or aftermarket parts. You will find that all tire mfg's will post required clearance for lateral and radial measurements for proper safety and operation. Good example here: http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/media...TR0NFYKJOPSFEY

cheers
Mega

Old 12-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

The big difference here mega is we've done dozens of these conversions and they are out in the field in operation without incident or complaint. How many have you done?

Old 12-06-2005, 03:26 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

The big difference here mega is we've done dozens of these conversions and they are out in the field in operation without incident or complaint. How many have you done?
I have done a number of wide drive conversions myself with many different brand kits, but realistically I don't doubt you have done more of your own kits and probably more altogether. I don't think though thats really the point here. Just so you understand where I am coming from, I am not taking any pot shots are your own kits, but I have worked on numerous Deuce models both stock and heavily modified. And I have done a number of wide drive kits for the Stock Deuce including a few of the traditional HD "catalogue" kits, and some aftermarket kits, most notably the Heartland 180/200 kit. The Deuce stock fender struts themselves are roughly 8 3/8" wide. With the stock fender mounting bracket plates installed to the inside of these struts your now under 8.25" in total width. An AM23 is over 8" wide, that gives you less than .125" spacing on each side of the wheel with a hub that centers the rim properly inside the struts.

Now maybe noone has complained or mind the occasional tire rub(and most likely they don't know the potential danger they are putting themselves into), but its still a very dangerous setup when there is no appreciable sidewall clearance on a tire. All it takes is one serious injury or death out of a million to make the venture not worth it. To me it doesnt even take that much, it only takes the notion that safety measures are not being taken as first priority.

Now this isnt a knock of anykind towards your own products, I believe I have mentioned your website in the past for people looking into doing wide tire conversions who were looking for garages and companies who provide them, but regardless of who makes the kit or sells them, I always tell my folks to make sure proper safetly clearances are kept around the tire when installing a wide drive kit. And there has been more than one occasion where I wouldn't install a wide tire for a customer due to clearances being insufficient along the sidewalls, and one of those kits was from DM Customs if I remember correctly. Remember your only on 2 tires, all it takes is one of those to fail at an unopertune time, why increase that risk?

Quick Reply: 200mm Hogpro kit on Deuce