Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasket Replacment on rocker boxes....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasket Replacment on rocker boxes....

I have an 03' FLSTC and the rear rocker box cover is leaking. Looks like the upper part of the box is leaking on the right side and the lower part of the box is leaking on the left side.

Anyone ever done this on a Heritage?Do I have to remove the tank or pullthemotor to get them off?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Old 07-24-2007, 05:41 AM
SCS
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Gasket Replacment on rocker boxes....

You don't have to pull the motor for Rocker Box gaskets. Tank removal would be the easiest approach bust still not necessary. They make a "Rocker Box" bolt wrench believe it or not. It's a very thin long handle ratchet with the correct allen head attachment already on it. Just loosen the screws up and to speed the process get yourself a set of those allen head keys with the round ball end. They really make getting in to hard to reach places on an angle easier. They will not have enough torque to break the screw loose or to tighten to specs. Just make sure you get yourself either a chilton style book on your bike or try to find someone on here that knows the torque requirements for tightening your rocker bolts.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:58 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed rocker covers on my last bike. An FXST... basically the same setup on my 96 motor as my now heritage. You will need to unload the lifters when you take off the rocker covers and put them back on. basically find TDC for each cylinder. Taking the tank off is by far the best for access to the bolts. If you do this you don't need any special wrenches per say. I didn't. I torq'd the bolts down I could get to with a torq wrench and the others I tightened to where I thought was good with a wrench.

It is pretty important to unload the lifters though as you could bend the rods putting the covers back on and tightening. You should have a manual for the torq sequence for each bolt and also to loosen them. There is a pattern for that.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:45 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove the tank, you will thank yourself. All you need to do is nick it with a wrench and you'll want to die. Torque everything and get a strait edge on the rocker box to make sure it is not warped. There is a way around unloading the rockers (I did not unload mine when installing chrome covers), but if your unfamiliar with hydraulic lifters (bleeding them down) your better off doing it by he book. Good time to install chrome rocker box bolts too.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:03 PM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep, Pull the tank. You will thank us for that. Also make sure you have the shop manual and a good inch torque wrench. Unload the rocker arms if you have to remove the lower rocker box cover. Not necessary to do this if you only do top cover.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1355/DA97E5DB31C54E11A9250BE5741BFE67.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1355/83D84206F64A424C9E721FBB2E7C7B7E.jpg[/IMG]