Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Characteristics of wide vs. narrow rear tire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020 | 06:31 AM
John Corcacas
Novice
Default Wide rear tire

My 2019 Fatboy 114 came with radial 240/40R!18 Michelin on it. The look and ride are great. It appears to also has great traction. The cornering is good but only after learning that you have to push the bike over in the sharper turns. It took a while for me to feel confident. Also tire pressure seems to be very important. Manual calls for 42 psi. Even 3 lbs lower makes the rear squirm a bit. All good with the correct pressure.

Old 05-03-2020 | 12:46 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by hattitude
If you look close, it's just the way the shadow covers the top of the tire...
maybe, but even the floor dust tracks left

Old 05-03-2020 | 04:07 PM
ThunderTruck
Tourer

Originally Posted by RANGER73
maybe, but even the floor dust tracks left
True but it had just got off the table and was leaned to the side when parked.

We have some sharp eyes looking through these threads!

Old 05-03-2020 | 04:26 PM
Naz
Road Captain

As a drag racer that is always hunting for the optimum traction I can tell you that more contact patch does not necessarily provide more traction. It really only improves traction IF the structural limits of the rubber compound is exceeded by the torque applied to the tire as spreading the force across a larger section of the surface means that each molecule of rubber has less force to handle. What we call traction is simply the friction between the road and the tire and the two primary factors that increase traction are weight and coefficient of friction. Traction is independent of contact area. We get this from Amontons Laws of Friction.

Here's an article that explains this concept a bit better and while the context is motorcycles it applies to cars and trucks as well. Want better traction, run stickier tires. https://www.stevemunden.com/friction.html

The following 2 users liked this post by Naz:
hattitude (05-04-2020), s-glide76 (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020 | 04:59 AM
HarleyViking
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Naz
As a drag racer that is always hunting for the optimum traction I can tell you that more contact patch does not necessarily provide more traction. It really only improves traction IF the structural limits of the rubber compound is exceeded by the torque applied to the tire as spreading the force across a larger section of the surface means that each molecule of rubber has less force to handle. What we call traction is simply the friction between the road and the tire and the two primary factors that increase traction are weight and coefficient of friction. Traction is independent of contact area. We get this from Amontons Laws of Friction.

Here's an article that explains this concept a bit better and while the context is motorcycles it applies to cars and trucks as well. Want better traction, run stickier tires. https://www.stevemunden.com/friction.html
Cool, interesting info. So at the end of the day I shall think about a new 130 or 150. Seems like there is not much difference except the look?

Old 05-04-2020 | 11:44 AM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Naz

What sizes and tires do you use?

Old 05-06-2020 | 03:53 AM
Alexander Pearce
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HarleyViking
Cool, interesting info. So at the end of the day I shall think about a new 130 or 150. Seems like there is not much difference except the look?
If I was me, I'd just get a new stock one to replace yours. 130 is not an anorexic tire, plus that is what was on your bike when it was made.
My 2008 FXST had a 200 wide on the back and a 90 on the front when new and it never felt like a good match. Ended up beefing up the front rim so it can take a 120 0r 130 and it seems much better,especially in the wet. I have found with a fat 200 back tire, counter steering is the best way to ride fast through corners.
On the other hand my old 84 wide glide shovel shovel has a 130 rear and 90 front and handles superbly.
Not really sure where this modern inkling for fat tires comes from, maybe it is to suit the modern fat rider.

Last edited by Alexander Pearce; 05-06-2020 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-19-2020 | 11:28 AM
HarleyViking
|
Cruiser

I have the cycle vision kit/bolts for the bags and sissy bar, I wonder how much I have to grind the studs down if I decide for the 150 tire? It's enough to just cut the part that sticks out from the nut?

Old 05-20-2020 | 12:51 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member

Get a star nut and drill out your frame horn to accept it. You will have more than enough room for a 150. I run 170 Shinko’s on the rear of my 05 Train and wife’s 04 Springer with no issues.

Old 05-20-2020 | 01:21 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Most go to a wider tire for looks. Nothing wrong with that. Over doing it can cause issue handling and on wet roads . Most can deal with the change. It is a lot about Pounds per-square inch There is to much and to little the best comes in the middle some where.
When HD went to the new frame on the touring bikes wide tiers were do. They worked out well. 130 to a 150 is not likely to have a big effect on most riders.

Quick Reply: Characteristics of wide vs. narrow rear tire?