Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stranded on the side of the interstate

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020 | 01:43 PM
thessandman
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Nobody spotted the real problem....

The problem was not that only one tank was filled.

The problem was the bike ran out of gas.

The rider didn`t know the fuel level was getting low, because he was riding with the fuel petcock on RESERVE.....
thanks for the responses. I’ve got a lot to learn and I got my first lesson Sunday. I was riding with the”handle” of the petcock at 12 o’clock and the “needle” at 6 o’clock. I thought that was “on” and 180 degrees from there was reserve. When we put a flashlight in the tank Monday morning they were both bone dry. So yeah, either I was riding on reserve or something else is still wrong.
at least the dealership was cool about it. They gave me a squirt of gas, jumped me off and tore up the ticket.
thanks again for your response

Old 04-30-2020 | 02:41 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Hey don't feel bad about it. What you should do though since this may be your first bike with a petcock, is to practice turning it on while you're riding. Sometimes, like on the freeway it becomes important that you are able to turn it on quickly, without taking your eyes or attention off the road or other vehicles around you. A bit of practicing now could save you some grief later, when seconds count.
Enjoy your bike! Pics would be welcome

Old 04-30-2020 | 03:20 PM
thessandman
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by iHodor
Hey don't feel bad about it. What you should do though since this may be your first bike with a petcock, is to practice turning it on while you're riding. Sometimes, like on the freeway it becomes important that you are able to turn it on quickly, without taking your eyes or attention off the road or other vehicles around you. A bit of practicing now could save you some grief later, when seconds count.
Enjoy your bike! Pics would be welcome
Good idea. Luckily there was no traffic and I was in the fast lane. Easy to get off. Yeah, I’ll do that

Old 04-30-2020 | 03:30 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Very nice. Never have seen whitewalls on a FB before, they look retro, and good. Interesting shift linkage, is that like a welded chain?

"Melissa" is on my riding playlist.

The following users liked this post:
thessandman (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020 | 04:04 PM
thessandman
|
6th Gear

@iHodor it looks like a flame pattern to me. It was in the bike when I got it. Haha, everyone mentions the whitewalls.
I’m a huge Allman Bro’s Band fan

Old 04-30-2020 | 04:14 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by thessandman
thanks for the responses. I’ve got a lot to learn and I got my first lesson Sunday. I was riding with the”handle” of the petcock at 12 o’clock and the “needle” at 6 o’clock. I thought that was “on” and 180 degrees from there was reserve. When we put a flashlight in the tank Monday morning they were both bone dry. So yeah, either I was riding on reserve or something else is still wrong.
at least the dealership was cool about it. They gave me a squirt of gas, jumped me off and tore up the ticket.
thanks again for your response

Well, that's excellent....

It's always good when a problem gets fixed, a lesson is learned, and it doesn't cost any $$$$$..... Especially if it was taken to a dealer...

Anybody who says they've never done anything similar, is probably lying.....

Enjoy the bike....

thessandman (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020 | 04:21 PM
flhchaz
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Cool Bike and Shirt! I've seen the ABB more times than I can count.

thessandman (04-30-2020)