Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy wheels on a deluxe, internal swap difficulty

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019 | 06:50 PM
McKishen
|
6th Gear
Default Fatboy wheels on a deluxe, internal swap difficulty

I want to swap something like this onto my deluxe. Been told it’s a simple matter of swapping my own laced wheels internals. Anyone done this yet? How difficult, and do I need any special tools? I know the answers probably on here aoreads, but this is literally my first move. Ty

Old 01-01-2020 | 08:49 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

If you want an answer and not a bunch of guesses, you need to give complete information.

Right now all we know from your post is that you are looking at some wheels, for a motorcycle.

Softails have been in production for 36 years, not all are the same.

What year are the wheels?

What year is your bike?

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-01-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2020 | 08:59 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member

You will have to turn some bolts and change some parts. Varies by model.

Old 01-01-2020 | 09:09 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

You'll have to replace the fender as well, that fat tire may not fit under the deluxe.
BTW what year is the bike?

Old 01-01-2020 | 06:25 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

For the Deluxe, there is a change in bearings after about 2007. Also, a change in rear hub width a few years later.

I swapped out my 2006 Deluxe wheels for 2015 wheels that were the tubeless spoked variety. The 2015 rear hub was about .400" wider than the 2006. So that required some machine work.

The front only required bushings to adapt the 3/4" axle to the larger ID late model bearings.

So model years matter

Old 01-02-2020 | 09:50 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Anything can be done. Wheels swaps are generally a lot easier if you find used wheels from the same year bike as the one you are working on. This eliminates lots of issues with axle diameters, offsets, bearings, rotor fitment etc. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2020 | 09:57 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member

As others have posted, it all depends on the year of the bike and the year of the wheels

Old 01-02-2020 | 01:03 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member

Any factory Harley wheel can be used on most Harley's, example sportster to sportster or softail to softail.. You just need to get the proper bearing kit for your particular axle. Now, depending on the wheels you choose, you may have to change to different spacers or possibly have to space the rotors or rear pulley or in some cases spacers to move the brake caliper. They sell all of these spacers online, you just need to put the bare wheel on the bike centered where it goes and start measuring. I build bikes and have had to deal with this several times.

They even sell the spacer to allow a rotor with a larger center hole to fit on an older wheel. I had to do this when I put 80's mag wheels on my wifes 03 sportster in place of her spoke wheels. The diameter of the hub was smaller on the 80's wheel than the factory 03 wheel. Which ever wheel you choose make sure the brake rotor is from the same year as the bike as they have changed the diameter of the rotors over the years and that opens up a whole new can of worms. .You also want to make sure you stay within the same tire width or your going to be trying to fit swing arms and that's where you get to a full on custom job.

Last edited by MCSarge; 01-02-2020 at 01:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
McKishen (01-05-2020)
Old 01-04-2020 | 06:09 AM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior

I just did something similar to this on my 2005 softail standard I went from the stock skinny 21" front wheel to a 16" from a 2003 heritage softail both run a 3/4 axle but I did have to use different spacers to center the 16"
if you don't want to cut your own spacers there is a great chart at drag specialties web site that has many-many different sizes to choose from and they are chrome, just use your dial calipers to determine what you need!
I also had to shim the brake caliper slightly you can also get chrome spacers for this also!
not that big of a job just take your time getting your wheel perfectly centered!

next step is to paint the fender that I fabricated silver pearl to match the bike!

The following users liked this post:
Harman (03-22-2024)
Old 01-04-2020 | 12:09 PM
McKishen
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
If you want an answer and not a bunch of guesses, you need to give complete information.

Right now all we know from your post is that you are looking at some wheels, for a motorcycle.

Softails have been in production for 36 years, not all are the same.

What year are the wheels?

What year is your bike?
my bikes an 09 deluxe with the stock chrome laced steel wheels. As above, the wheels in question are 00-06

Quick Reply: Fatboy wheels on a deluxe, internal swap difficulty