Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage hard bags

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 08:05 PM
a207769s
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage hard bags

I have a 2003 heritage and the stock leather bags aren’t looking so great. Plan to add hard bags when I finally stop riding for the winter. I see all of the cheap ABS stuff
inline but I am really hoping to find some oem bags to use. Planning to get a bracket kit that has the “bridge” to connect the two sides for stability. My question is about the hard bags. I know I need pre 2014 bags but what is the lowest model year to use the same bags? Also, within that year range are the bags the same? Reason I ask is I am not seeing an affordable set locally. But I have found some individual bags from different years. To me they look the same but I’m not too familiar with touring parts. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Old 10-24-2019, 07:38 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by a207769s
I know I need pre 2014 bags but what is the lowest model year to use the same bags? Also, within that year range are the bags the same? Reason I ask is I am not seeing an affordable set locally. But I have found some individual bags from different years. To me they look the same but I’m not too familiar with touring parts. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!
I know I need pre 2014 bags. WHY
I am not sure how many official styles Harley has made over the years but at least 4 that I personally know of.
The OLD rounded small (50's time frame) look sweet but kind of small.
The 60's with the hing on the back of the lid.
I am not sure when the clam shell started (ended when the rushmore style came out 2014).
The Rushmore 2014 to present.

I have had 3 sets of bags on my Deluxe.
Leather (fat boy bags, screaming deal) to get me by till I figured out hard bags.
Inexpensive set that came with the kit (mounts/frame).
I now have Rushmore bags (factory).
All I had to do was change the bracket the bag attaches to.

As for buying bags, it took a little over a year to find everything.
Bottoms were a Craigslist find (the guy went to stretched bags).
The tops were purchased of this site.

IMHO the Rushmore bags are the way to go.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:40 AM
a207769s
Novice

Originally Posted by GRWHD
I know I need pre 2014 bags. WHY
I see the cycle vision bagger tail says it can use 93-19 FLH style hard bags. Other brackets say only up to 2013 and I found more than one post here that stated "pre 2014" bags were needed for the conversion brackets. Is that incorrect? Like I said, I am not familiar with FLH parts so I am just looking to gather info.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:47 PM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts
Talking

I see the cycle vision bagger tail says it can use 93-19 FLH style hard bags. Other brackets say only up to 2013 and I found more than one post here that stated "pre 2014" bags were needed for the conversion brackets. Is that incorrect? Like I said, I am not familiar with FLH parts so I am just looking to gather info.
My kit only works up to 2013

Until I changed the bracket the bag attach to and adjusted them.
The hole locations are almost the same, just a little adjustment.
With the non-pin style brackets.

Last edited by GRWHD; 10-24-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:24 PM
FastDude2020
Tourer
Received 114 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a 2003 heritage and the stock leather bags aren’t looking so great. Plan to add hard bags when I finally stop riding for the winter. I see all of the cheap ABS stuff
inline but I am really hoping to find some oem bags to use. Planning to get a bracket kit that has the “bridge” to connect the two sides for stability. My question is about the hard bags. I know I need pre 2014 bags but what is the lowest model year to use the same bags? Also, within that year range are the bags the same? Reason I ask is I am not seeing an affordable set locally. But I have found some individual bags from different years. To me they look the same but I’m not too familiar with touring parts. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!
You need a conversion bracket to hold touring saddlebags up. You can use either 13 or 14 touring bags with ease. 13&14 are with different latch systems but I personally like 14 a lot more. Both 13 and 14 bags fit conversion bracket.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:13 AM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,780 Likes on 898 Posts

Just a thought but have you considered the saggy bags kit? It worked wonders for mine!

Old 10-28-2019, 09:15 AM
a207769s
Novice

I did look at the saggy bag kits a few years back but the bags are well aged and have some light cracking in places. I really like the look of hard bags so I figured if I am buying new bags I might as well get hard bags. I found a right side bag from a 2008 street glide locally for $50. Has the latch but no lock. I will have to find a matching left side bag if I go that route. Does anyone know what other years hard bags would be a match? would there be a wide range of years or are there diferences year to year or even between models in a year?

Old 11-02-2019, 07:12 PM
a207769s
Novice

Well I got a hard bag brand new never installed for $50. Then I found a great condition bag on eBay for $160 shipped. Few
light scuffs in paint but nothing else. Bracket will be here next week. Hoping to do a test fit next week to see if I’ll need to change the rear turn signals.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:47 AM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,780 Likes on 898 Posts

Well I got a hard bag brand new never installed for $50. Then I found a great condition bag on eBay for $160 shipped. Few
light scuffs in paint but nothing else. Bracket will be here next week. Hoping to do a test fit next week to see if I’ll need to change the rear turn signals.
Post a picture when they are installed

Old 11-04-2019, 09:25 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I did look at the saggy bag kits a few years back but the bags are well aged and have some light cracking in places. I really like the look of hard bags so I figured if I am buying new bags I might as well get hard bags. I found a right side bag from a 2008 street glide locally for $50. Has the latch but no lock. I will have to find a matching left side bag if I go that route. Does anyone know what other years hard bags would be a match? would there be a wide range of years or are there diferences year to year or even between models in a year?
What area are you in/ I have a set of gloss black CVO ( extended 3.5" in the bottom rear, have the angled bottom) hard bag lowers, you need lids and hardware. I have not put them up for sale because the cost of shipping is too high but for a local pickup Id let them go for $ 75. Mutazu has vivid black lids and all hardware for about $ 100

Quick Reply: Heritage hard bags