Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb. or EFI..?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005 | 04:19 AM
4xfreak
|
Intermediate
Default Carb. or EFI..?

If everything goes as planned i'll be getting my new harley sometime at the end of Feb. 06. I have not quite made the decesion yet as to go with efi. or carb. I would like the efi for cold weather starting and faster warm up time but if it's going to be more complicated when installing new pipes and an air filter i'll just stick with a carb. I don't know anything about recalibrating the efi. It is expensive. What would be the better setup?

Old 10-30-2005 | 04:53 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Carb. or EFI..?

Howdy, I think that you have opened a can of worms with that question because there are people that like both. When I asked the same question quite awhile ago, they recommended efi and that's what I went with. I don't have any regrets. What I would suggest doing, if you want to learn more about the subject, is use the search on this forum and look that topic up it has been discussed a lot and will probably be discussed a lot more as time goes on. Good luck

Old 10-30-2005 | 08:46 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

Each have their own advantages and can be dealt with for mods pretty much equal. It just requires a different aproach with the two. You can accomplish the same goal with the both systems.

Old 10-30-2005 | 10:15 AM
Edmo
Road Master

My '05 Heritage with EFI has worked great with no problems in the 3 months and 5,500 miles I've owned it... The Stage I upgrade took the Service Manager all of 30 seconds to install and cost me $120!

The "hop on it and go" advantage EFI gives me is well worth it. I ride my scooter to work daily and I don't have to worry with the "enricher" as I dodge the local cages.

You might check the HD web page, but I thought '06 was the year HD was taking away the carb option on some of their bikes with more models switching in the future...

Edmo

Old 10-30-2005 | 10:42 AM
JamieWG
Road Master

It all depends on what you want to do with the bike. If all you want are some pipes and an A/C, then it only costs $150 to get the EFI remapped. That's not a whole lot more than getting a carb jetted. I've got EFI on my bike and it's nice.

Old 10-30-2005 | 12:19 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Food for thought, rejetting a carb can be as little as $5-$6

https://www.hdforums.com/m_65123/tm.htm

Old 10-30-2005 | 12:55 PM
Boogie Knights
Advanced

For what it's worth,( zip ) I'm an E.F.I. fan, move with the times I say![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 10-30-2005 | 05:28 PM
BobbyT
6th Gear

For me, the only reason to go with a carb over EFI is if you're going to go into the engine and seek significant horsepower gains. It's much easier to build a hot rod engine around a carb. If the engine is going to remain stock (Stage 1 or 2 is fine) then I'd go with EFI. My 03 Heritage has the EFI and has performed flawlessly. And, ya gotta love the way it starts when cold. One light touch on the starter and you're away.

Old 10-30-2005 | 06:46 PM
Finalcut
Road Warrior

EFI all the way!
My bike starts right up first try - every single time - no muss no fuss, I throw on my leathers - get on and ride!
And I live in Alaska, so sometimes it's around 40 degrees or less when I'm getting started.

Now when I went the same route with my buddy who has a carb... I had to wait almost
ten minutes for his bike to fully warm up and run right! It's a real drag waiting when you're ready to
get in to the wind!

As far as Harley goes there are two things that I think are a must have:
EFI
EVO

Go with the EFI - don't even give it another thought, and then get the stage 1 with some nice pipes or slip-ons!
We'll be here to help you decide on pipes or slip-ons when you're ready! : )

Old 10-30-2005 | 06:59 PM
rhinoevans
Tourer

I have a carb 2001 Night Train.

My bike starts right up first try - every single time - no muss no fuss, I dont wear leathers - get on and ride!
And I live in Vegas, pull out the choke, ride, push it in 2 minutes or less. No problems what so ever.

I'm not saying what to go with, but don't get hung up on all this "sky is falling", if you have a carb bike. Long live the carb.

Quick Reply: Carb. or EFI..?