Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-up Question: Deluxe versus Heritage Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:02 AM
SanRico
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-up Question: Deluxe versus Heritage Classic

Since I can't convince my wife that she needs her own bike, we're looking at purchasing something to take the two of us around town and for weekend 100-200 mile trips. Perhaps an out-of-stater a couple of times a year, but not often at all.

Dealer wanted to direct us to the Touring series, but neither of us is into that look (no offense intended to anyone) and I am not one for giant fairings, stereo options, etc.

We fell in love with the retro look of the Deluxe, but the Heritage Classic seems to have some nice touring accessories and seems well suited for 2-up riding.

Is there a major difference between the two, other than the windshield, saddle bags and backrest passenger seat? I would love to get a Deluxe and add those items for when needed, but I am not sure if the Heritage Classic has some other features that I would be overlooking.

I know the easy answer is the Heritage Classic, but like I say, that Deluxe is a BEAUTIFUL lookin' ride.

We're not big folks: I'm 160 lbs. and she's about 125. Our road trips wouldn't be cross country...we're too busy working our butts off and just need something to get away for the weekends.

I'd ask the local dealer, but they seem far too interested in directing me only to their in-stock models without bothering to ask the proper questions. They're trying to get us on a Wide Glide, which I couldn't help but notice they are overstocked on.

Thanks!!

Old 07-13-2007, 04:19 AM
T Rat
Tourer
Default RE: 2-up Question: Deluxe versus Heritage Classic

You just described me and my wife to a "T".

The Luxe comes with a little extra chrome around the front end, white walls, and a shorter seat. In all honesty, not a whole lot of difference between the two.

My bike is one-up 98% of the time but when the wife does ride I want a comfortable passenger. We ditched the stock pillon and purchased the "touring" pillon. The BIG one! She can handle the longer rides now without continuously re-adjusting on the back of the bike. Without saying (but I will), additional purchases included the backrest and the passenger floorboards to allow her to reposition her legs from time to time. We don't have any bags and still haven't found any I "must" have.

You can buy the heritage with all the goodies or make a bike of your own.
Good luck on your decision.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Boot
Advanced

You can buy the heritage with all the goodies or make a bike of your own.
That is the answer you are looking for.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:24 AM
rotorhead
Cruiser

I have a Deluxe and my wife likes to ride with me. I had to spend the extra dough for a new pax seat, windshield and need to buy different pax pegs. If you plan to tour, I would go for the heritage, I went for the look.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

I started out with the Heritage, then the wife took to riding with me. I installed passanger touring pillon, Tour pac, and passanger floor boards. Other than my ride to work and home, I ride two-up. We rented an Ultra Classic in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Both the wife and I couldn't wait to get home and get back on our Heritage. Hard to believe, but we both find the Softail a more comfortable bike.
The wife recently agreed to learn to ride on her own. Her bike of choice, the Softail Deluxe.
Moral of the story - get the Heritage and you will probably wind up with a Deluxe and a Heritage somewhere down the road.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Navychief
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the heritage because of the looks, I couldn't take my mind off of it. The wife loves to ride but we have the touring pillon inbound and I'll be adding passenger floorboards soon. Rides great and the bags come in handy even when not traveling. I took the bags and windshield off last nite for the first time and it totally changes the look and ride. I agree with Geo, get the FLSTC and the Deluxe will some how show up sooner or later.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:22 AM
hoggie07
Novice

If you guys not riding 2 up all the time. Deluxe is a better choice. It looks great naked. Heritage dont look as good naked unless you want to cary the bagger all the time.

I bot my deluxe for the same reason. I take the passenger pillon and sissy bar when my wife is not riding with me and when she does. Snaps right on and still looks good.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts

I ride solo since the wife still wont ride with me, but if you are looking at it aesthetically the go for the Deluxe it is by far the most gorgeous bike in the entire HD line up! However you will spend at least $1000 adding the windshield, backrest and bags to the Deluxe but when you ride solo and take it all off the Deluxe (to me) is a better looking bike stock. But the Heritage with some whitewalls and a feww odds and ends is almost as good looking as the Deluxe. Oh and I preferred the bars on the Deluxe over the bars (mini apes) on the Heritage.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:51 AM
forvols
Advanced

Both are beautiful and great rides. YOU WILL make changes no matter which one you choose. I have an 06 FLTSI Heritage its not a classic. But came with detachable windshield and back rest. Wife did not like the stock pillion, changed the whole seat out for a sundowner (its ok). Now she does not ride that much with me. So I have zero miles on a stock seat.

I have added bags, passenger floorboards, changed the backrest to bucketpad, added miniapes, with internal wiring and braided cables and accessory lights, PCIII, Arlen Ness big sucker intake, (it already had SEII pipes) had it dyno tuned. Changed out the stock plastic tank pad for a leather one with a pocket. put on a lay down license plate bracket. added crusier MK IV highway pegs. And a few other odds and ends..Dyno 75hp / 74fttq

What I liked most about my FLTSI is it looked simple but had the classic lines of the FL softtails. I love the heritage classic but there are so many. But package wise you cant beat em. Either bike you will be happy but you will change it...its the nature of the beast....Here are pics of my bike at the dealer and how she looks today.

Tony

[IMG]local://upfiles/16949/503B87F0C3B2427FA09DDF19265A13C9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16949/597C8EE858DF4A61B18CCC0874FF1ECB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-13-2007, 10:05 AM
luckystrike07
Advanced

Deluxe....then add on your 2-up options. You said 2-up would be occaisional "not often at all." I personally don't like the Heritage. You can ride 2-up w/out studded bags. I don't really care for the big flat front directionals either. I like the trim on the deluxe better, esp. if you compare fenders. Sure it all can be changed, but if you bought your touring pillion, sissy bar, bags, etc w/the Deluxe and tied it up w/your loan, its like buying a Heritage that has the looks too.

Quick Reply: 2-up Question: Deluxe versus Heritage Classic