Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 Harley-Davidson softail frame FXST paper work document title clean and clear

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019 | 10:08 PM
TerribleTabo
|
Advanced
Default 1985 Harley-Davidson softail frame FXST paper work document title clean and clear

Has anyone here ever bought a Harley frame title without the frame for a custom project? I was wondering if I could purchase a 1985 Harley-Davidson softail title that is clean and clear to use for a custom project? There is no frame, and I was thinking of purchasing one of those Vtwin Manufacturing retro rigid frames for a custom project. Does anyone know if there might be a problem with doing this?
VT No: 51-0097

Old 07-27-2019 | 11:25 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't think that will fly with the Authorities!
The frame itself should come with an MSO and you'd need to keep any and all the paperwork you receive to use to get the bike registered.

Old 07-28-2019 | 09:20 AM
Seasoned HDF Member

You will need to check with your Department of Motor Vehicle.

Old 07-28-2019 | 02:28 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member

So the first cop that pulls you over says "why is your bike registered as a softail? I see a rigid frame under your ***."

The following 2 users liked this post by hdbob2006:
JustDave13 (07-28-2019), TerribleTabo (07-30-2019)
Old 07-28-2019 | 06:07 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

No. No. And no!

Title is a piece of paper with the identification (VIN) number of a frame. Without the frame, or at least the part of the frame with the matching VIN stamped into it, the piece of paper is useful for taking notes on the blank portions!

And do not try to stamp/have stamped the VIN from the title onto another frame. As posted above, if you buy an aftermarket frame, it will have its own numbers associated with its MSO. Seems every state has their own rules as to how apply the MSO info to a new title. Some use the mfg. number, some assign their own VIN.

How did this title come to have no frame/frame part with it?

Short story to illustrate what can happen - Built a chop from my 1972 Sporty engine and a purchased Corbin Gentry rigid frame after my factory frame was stolen. MSO paperwork had what amounted to a serial number and a stick-on aluminum plate with that number stamped into it (and 35 years later I still remember that number!). I built the bike, carried the frame MSO and the original HD title to the Ohio DMV. They issued a title using the MSO and the HD model designation, XLCH - I now owned a 1972 Corbin Gentry XLCH. The only VIN was the little stick on plate. Somewhere down the road that little plate took wings; I don't know if it fell off, got stolen, or disintegrated into elemental aluminum and glue. By then Corbin Gentry was out of the frame business, and I got no joy when trying to get another plate. I broke out my trusty stamp set, stamped the numbers into the frame, and went about my business. I carried the registration with me at all times, carried a copy of the original HD title, a copy of the original California registration, and a copy of the CG MSO. They came in handy more than once. I got stopped in Wisconsin (tail light out) and got grief over the numbers. Cop took all the paperwork, retreated to his car, and came back with, "Looks like you're OK. Leave my state and never return." Less than 15 minutes later, and now in Illinois, got pulled over again (130+ mph - bike was a 77 inch stroker). Gave up all my papers, cop retreated to his car, came back for another look at the numbers on the frame and engine (of course, they didn't match), went back to his car. Came back again and said, "Follow me." Club brother I was with and I did. At the police station in beautiful Gurnee, IL we sat for about an hour while they did whatever they do. Finally got cut loose with a warning that I might get my bike impounded next time. A similar scenario happened in South Carolina more than once. Always sweated about getting the bike impounded when I rode it. Still, a 77" stroker in a Corbin Gentry rigid flexi-flyer frame was plenty of fun!

The following users liked this post:
TerribleTabo (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019 | 08:49 PM
TerribleTabo
|
Advanced

Thanks for all the great advice!