Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gel pad installed hot and uncomfortable

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:45 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gel pad installed hot and uncomfortable

Just had gel pad inserted in seat with 1/4" foam over top on my Softail reach seat. Within 15 minutes of riding, starting feeling hot. After only 30 minutes, seat was uncomfortable. This seat is not as wide as my stock Heritage seat and I'm wondering if I should have not chosen it for gel pad for that reason. Not enough support under me perhaps?

Also wondering if glue used under seat cover is what is causing the heat and maybe it's temporary. I expected gel to be more comfortable but I felt like seat was less supportive instead. It's 13.5" wide. Anybody have similar experience? I'm 5'4", 130 lbs - it's not like I need a 15" wide seat. I was going for increased comfort on 300 mile rides. Afraid I took wrong turn here!

Old 07-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gel pad installed hot and uncomfortable

Can't say for sure, but I would think that the gel bag would be much hotter than the foam seat, simply because it doesn't breathe. At least with foam there would be a certain amount of air exchanged as you move up and down on the seat. Seems like that bag would/could get awful warm the longer you ride. Just a thought.....

Old 07-12-2007, 01:20 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

At least that was the speal that a Corbin Rep gave me. I guess it's accurate. That and the gel breaks down after a very short time.
Overall I'm happy with the Corbin seats. I had one on the Shovehead too. I have the Young Guns and the Gunfighter & Lady which I had repadded. Believe it or not, Corbin does have padding available that is softer than a brick wall. Just ask. I'm sure one could be ordered on the phone the way you want it. I'm just lucky to be 40 from Hollister.

I'd like to try a Mustang seat. I hear they're comfortable.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:25 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master

Yep, the Mustang seats are great! I've had one on all of my Harleys. I wouldn't think of using anything else.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:51 AM
crfranklin65
Tourer

I've tried the Mustang and didn't like them for myself. A friend loved it on her Honda, hated the model for her Fat Boy. Guess depends on your shape. Corbin's I've sat on area bit wide. Top feels comfortable to sit on though but they don't get me close enough to bars. Haven't got to try a "close" model.

The H-D Reach seat gets me exactly where I need to be in regards to the bars and the ground. I'm not sitting right on gel pad, there is a layer of foam installed over it. But I had the fabric looking material that reach seat comes with replaced with leather. I think when he recovered the seat, there was some glue sprayed under it. That may be source of heat. It did not seem to get worse the longer I rode. I think if I was sitting right on gel pad, it would get unbearable!

I'll call him today and get his impressions. A friend had a Day Long seat done and I know the gel in those has a break in period. Hopefully it will wind up better instead of worse. Luckily I bought seat for $159 on e-bay. I can probably find another used Reach seat if this doesn't break in. Could be worse!

My Deluxe seat was very comfortable and put me in the right place. At one time, I had put a Heritage seat on it even though it says it doesn't fit. Wonder if I could get Deluxe seat on my Heritage? I miss the locking saddle bagsI had onmy Deluxe.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:45 PM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 56 Posts

That's BS about "gel breaks down after a very short time." That might be what Corbin wants you to believe.
I have a Saddlemen seat with Gel and wouldn't have another seat if you paid me... and the Gel never gets hot while riding.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:20 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer

Thanks, everybody, for the input.

This is not a Corbin seat. I am not under the impression that gel breaks down. The gel pad the upholstery guy installed is a Travelcade and I believe it is long lasting. I had heard by some that gels will "shape" to your bottom after a while and then become more comfortable. Hence the "break-in" term, not to be confused with break down.

I think the warmth (which is not excessive) I felt is due to the fact that I'm not used to having something in total contact across the surface of my behind. I'm sure that made it "seem" warmer in this Texas heat but the longer I rode, that did not appear to be the case.

I'm going to ride it six weeks and see what I think then. Millenium foam may be more in line for my boney backside!

Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer

need to correct myself...Day Long seats do not have gel but are considered more comfortable after they are broken in.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:37 PM
heyrob
Intermediate

I have a LePera seat. I customized a few things, but the customer service rep (who was excellent) talked me out of the gel insert. She said the gel gets hot and retains heat (or cold on the winter) like a gel pack that you would put on sore muscles. She also said it was comfortable for long rides but hardanduncomfortable for shorter rides.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer

Well that's encouraging since I wanted it for long rides. I had foam installed over it so its not like I'm sitting right on top of a gel pad. I'm not worried about the heat so much as the comfort. Thanks for sharing that!

Quick Reply: Gel pad installed hot and uncomfortable