Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gel pad installed hot and uncomfortable

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:55 PM
*JC*
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gel pad installed hot and uncomfortable

ORIGINAL: heyrob

I have a LePera seat. I customized a few things, but the customer service rep (who was excellent) talked me out of the gel insert. She said the gel gets hot and retains heat (or cold on the winter) like a gel pack that you would put on sore muscles. She also said it was comfortable for long rides but hardanduncomfortable for shorter rides.
Yea, the LePera representative also advised meagainst the gel seat, since I reside here in the Sunshine State. She did suggest an alternative forsomething their companycalled "AirGel" which is what I got. I'm sograteful the LePera sales womanhelped me from making a bigmistake.The seat is extremely comfortable and never gets hot.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:29 PM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 56 Posts

ORIGINAL: heyrob

I have a LePera seat. I customized a few things, but the customer service rep (who was excellent) talked me out of the gel insert. She said the gel gets hot and retains heat (or cold on the winter) like a gel pack that you would put on sore muscles. She also said it was comfortable for long rides but hardanduncomfortable for shorter rides.
That's absurd. The LePera customer service rep. must be a pretty good salesman. I've been riding a Saddlemen Gel seat for years in Central Texas and it has never retained heat. And it is just as soft on a5 minute ride as a 400 miles trip.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:53 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well after second ride it was much better. I think I know what happened. Upholsterer put some "tack" stitching on the upper sides of pillion that he said he would remove later after he is assured leather is stretched to seats form like it was originally. He didn't want my covering to get off to one side and wear in that way. This made it really tight the first night I rode it. Now that the leather has stretched some, seat is back to comfortable again. Yea!

It was about ten degrees cooler tonight but I rode longer with no heat issues. I know some put gel inreal thin seats and I wonder if those would get hot.

The Saddlemen seat look very comfortable but they didn't have a reduced reach model. Wish I had searched site further to see that they would have custom made me one. Oh well...maybe later! If I recall, Saddlemen is the company that makes the Travelcade gel pad I installed. Hopefully that's a good thing since their seats are well respected.