Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consensus on cost-effective front lighting upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 04:19 AM
ChiFLSTN
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Consensus on cost-effective front lighting upgrade?

Hi all,

I have a 2007 Deluxe with the stock-type H4 bulb and would like to upgrade the headlamp and passing lamps to something brighter, more modern, and more visually appealing. I was wondering if there's a general consensus in the community as to what the best bang for the buck is? Here's kind of where I'm at:

The official Harley Daymaker stuff looks nice but seems WAY overpriced.

There are tons of Daymaker knockoffs on eBay and Amazon that can be had for cheap. Most are suspiciously cheap and make me question the quality/longevity.

There's a guy who made a series of YouTube vids called Project Softail that used Future Vision brand HID headlamp with LED passing lights. They look really nice but are a little pricey and I can't find much in the way of objective reviews (every one of the guy's episodes is basically a commercial). Plus with HIDs would fitting the ballast be an issue? His fit ok, but I imagine it will vary based on the brand of HID or size of the headlamp bucket.

Very easy and inexpensive to throw in some Silver Star Ultras from the auto parts store, but they look pretty hideous on older cars that are trying to mimic modern HID headlights, and they blind oncoming motorists because they're not in a proper reflector.

I've upgraded the front turn signals with Custom Dynamics Dynamic Rings and would like something that at least kind of matches the white color of the outer ring. The stock headlamp and passing lights are really yellow, and dim, and unappealing, and probably kind of unsafe.

Thanks so much for any help or opinions you guys can share.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:29 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,192 Likes on 653 Posts

I went LEDs , I think they make me more visible but I don't think they light up the road as well.
There, I said it.

The following users liked this post:
CaptainKirk (07-01-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 05:10 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,080 Likes on 3,098 Posts

Only if you want to see better.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:22 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 847 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
I went LEDs , I think they make me more visible but I don't think they light up the road as well.
There, I said it.
I agree with this. 100% I went with Rivoco replacement bulb for the HL & Pass. They are definitely brighter and light the road up, but the high beam isn't anything to write home about. While its super white and bright, offers a clearer cleaner look, it lacks in distance, but you'll see every road sign, eyeball in to woods and just about anything else because of the reflectivity of the LED. I don't know about your year, but on my 05 I had to swap the pass lamp lenses to the Harley #68348-05. On my 04 Dyna I did an LED headlight from Eagle Lights, and I was very impressed, for what I paid for the LED bulbs and the Lamp Lens kit, I would've been better off just going with the Eagle Lights but I did want to try keep the Nostalgic look when the lights are off.

Take a look, I may end up going back to these.
https://www.eaglelights.com

Old 06-28-2019, 05:43 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,798 Likes on 9,865 Posts

Look at Custom Dynamics for the LED turn signals front and rear and any of the many true LED headlights available on Amazon for your headlight. The replacement LED bulbs put out a lot of light, but they aren't very focused.

soldierbot (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Will Belden
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I went with the Sunpie kit for my 2016 Heritage, couldn't be happier. Okay, I could be, as the high beam isn't really worth using. But I never need it. With the passing lamps plus the headlight, my visibility is fine. Even during a bright, sunny day, I can see my lights reflecting off signs. I always have the passing lamps on, so I know I can be seen.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sunpie-Head...dp/B017OPE860/

CaptainKirk (07-01-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 10:23 AM
champ198
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Belden
I went with the Sunpie kit for my 2016 Heritage, couldn't be happier. Okay, I could be, as the high beam isn't really worth using. But I never need it. With the passing lamps plus the headlight, my visibility is fine. Even during a bright, sunny day, I can see my lights reflecting off signs. I always have the passing lamps on, so I know I can be seen.

just put these on my 07 Heritage and they plugged right in and fit well in the buckets.
haven't had it out at night since the install since we have had so much rain its like every day it rains here and haven't had a chance to get out.
but they do seem to be brighter than my factory lights.
and I do agree with the above that I think with the passing lamps on that it is brighter on low beam than high beam

Old 06-28-2019, 10:45 AM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 96,402 Likes on 24,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Belden

Agree 100%. I used to be mildly annoyed that the passing lamps turn off when the high beam is engaged. Was thinking about rewiring them but since getting LED lighting all around, there is no point. I never use the high beams as with 5 bright lights up front...there is no point.

gratuitous bike picture showing the Sunpie headlamps and passing lamps...with Custom Dynamic turn signal inserts.

Last edited by soldierbot; 06-28-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:26 PM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 354 Likes on 233 Posts

Most cost effective? H4 bulb upgrade to 100/55. Also available in 100/80. Ive used 100/55 in big headlight models for years with no ill effects, though they will melt the plug in dyna and sportster headlught. Abou 8 bucks.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:26 PM
ChiFLSTN
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks all for the replies thus far. The Eagle and Sunpie stuff looks very nice, but 04FXDI makes a really good point about keeping the nostalgic look when the lights are off, so I suppose I have more thinking and researching to do. Part of me keeps coming back to the HID headlamp and LED passing from that guy's YouTube vids, but I don't really want to spend a few hundred and take a chance without seeing them in person (or hearing from someone who's seen them in person). The HIDs keep the stock look when off, and give great performance when on.

P.S. Soldierbot, she's beautiful!

P.P.S. Why is seemingly so difficult to get awesome lighting on a motorcycle? My neighbor got a new Acura and it's got little tiny lights the size of golf ***** that are brighter than the sun.

Quick Reply: Consensus on cost-effective front lighting upgrade?