Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to: inner bearing and race on the output shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019 | 09:51 PM
rquest
|
Road Master
Default How to: inner bearing and race on the output shaft

Can anyone tell me if the inner bearing and race on the output shaft can be changed without taking the engine out and splitting it? (in other words on a jack-stand?)

Old 06-26-2019 | 08:56 AM
Robb Liupo
Cruiser

Yes, it can. Lots of youtubes on this. I just did mine on my Ultra. Its not easy and you have to have the correct tools but it is doable. Basically, take the clutch out, put the remover tool over the race and pull it out. Some people cut the race off but doing so runs the risk of damaging the shaft. Pressing the new race on is not that easy also. Very tight fit and really had to torque on the install tool. All ***** makes a single bearing conversion option for some bikes, they did not have one to fit my bike so I had to remove both the bearing and the race.

The following users liked this post:
rquest (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019 | 01:05 PM
rquest
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Robb Liupo
Yes, it can. Lots of youtubes on this. I just did mine on my Ultra. Its not easy and you have to have the correct tools but it is doable. Basically, take the clutch out, put the remover tool over the race and pull it out. Some people cut the race off but doing so runs the risk of damaging the shaft. Pressing the new race on is not that easy also. Very tight fit and really had to torque on the install tool. All ***** makes a single bearing conversion option for some bikes, they did not have one to fit my bike so I had to remove both the bearing and the race.
Now this is what I'm talking about! Thank you for the very comprehensive reply.

Old 06-26-2019 | 07:07 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Well...

You might tell us what you are working on.

Exactly what are you referring to when you say "Output Shaft", are you talking about a transmission shaft or an engine shaft?

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-26-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2019 | 02:58 AM
rquest
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Well...

You might tell us what you are working on.

Exactly what are you referring to when you say "Output Shaft", are you talking about a transmission shaft or an engine shaft?
I think we got it, thanks!

Old 06-27-2019 | 07:55 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rquest
I think we got it, thanks!
It wouldn`t kill you to tell us what you are working on, would it? Or how you solved your issue?

You know, other people reading this forum may benefit from that information.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-27-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-27-2019 | 08:24 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

I think op is talking about the crank and the other guy is talking about the primary output shaft of the tranny...but I could be wrong and apparently it's none of our business either way. Sounds like the op doesn't have a service manual...good luck buddy, hope that works out for ya

Old 06-27-2019 | 08:37 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
I think op is talking about the crank and the other guy is talking about the primary output shaft of the tranny...but I could be wrong and apparently it's none of our business either way. Sounds like the op doesn't have a service manual...good luck buddy, hope that works out for ya
Yeah, the OP was saying he didn`t want to split the Engine Cases, then somebody jumped in with an answer about the mainshaft and inner primary bearing.

Some people will jump in with an answer no matter how vague the question is.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-27-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-28-2019 | 07:30 PM
rquest
|
Road Master

In the first place I believe the administrator moved my post to: "How to: inner bearing and race on the output shaft." In the 3rd post I got the info I was talking about. I thanked the provider of that info and said: "Now this is what I'm talking about! Thank you for the very comprehensive reply." then after 2 more post I said "I think we got it, thanks!" That kind of means I got the information I was looking for and won't be checking this thread out again. I haven't started any work yet but I see no need for all of the rude remarks guys. Maybe I'll do a how to video on it for those inquisitive minds..

Last edited by rquest; 06-28-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-28-2019 | 08:43 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior

Does all this relate back to when you first asked about a noise in the primary? (05-10-2018)
If it does, over a year later and you've done nothing about it.

Quick Reply: How to: inner bearing and race on the output shaft