Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more Deuce? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007 | 01:36 PM
bs883
|
Cruiser
Default No more Deuce? Why?

I know there are tons of Rocker threads floating around now, but I still haven't figured it out. Why no more Deuce? Doesn't make sense to me to replace the FXSTD with the Rocker. What is everyone's thoughts?

Old 07-10-2007 | 01:38 PM
st john
Road Master
Default RE: No more Deuce? Why?

Did not sell, and very little market or accessories.

Saint

Old 07-11-2007 | 04:00 AM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master

Same reason they got rid of black cherry paint. Someone screwed up and let a business major make a decision.

Old 07-11-2007 | 06:46 AM
voodoo93
Road Warrior

I am always amazed when I hear comments like these - I see plenty of Deuces' around the roadways and hardly ever one sitting on the showroom floor - dealers in most markets may only get a few but they sell what they have. As for market accessories, well I guess if you mean H-D then you are correct, but there is a world of after market accessories available, take a run through the Deuce picture thread and see what some guys have done with only limited MoCo support.

Not meant to offend only educate (and/or voice my opinion). [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

ORIGINAL: st john

Saint

Old 07-11-2007 | 07:29 AM
Lipper
Cruiser

It's wierd. After I bought mine, I discovered the guy two doors down had one. I was in a parking lot a week ago and a pack of six riders pulled in, 2 of which were Deuces. Then again at a Tampa rally in Ybor, While walking the lines I ony saw two...two deuces out of probably over one thousand bikes. They're out there, just in limited numbers compared to everyone else. But I have to agree the "baseline" Deuce is not practical. Where ever I go people say "nice bike". I hate the saddlebag set up.

Everyone wants a rear tire kit of one form or another and everyone has found a way around the 180mm kit HD sells. They want that business. I think properly mocked up the Rocker is going to be a sweet ride. I think they kind of resemble the Thundr Mountain models with the rake and fender/tire. The Deuce rear fender elicits strong opinions (just like the Dallas Cowboys). This Rocker is a cruiser, not for touring. So HD is obviously trying to attract the younger crowd. I'll be interested to see if the aftermarket and HD catalogs have the caption "except Rocker" in the description..

Nevertheless. Aint selling my bike. I like it and that's all this is important....However I may buy a King for the long halls.

Old 07-11-2007 | 07:33 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree - I see many Deuces and people like my bike. For a bike that doesn't sell, I ride with two or three of them as well. If you think there aren't a lot of Deuces, check out the activity in the Deuce picture thread...

Old 07-11-2007 | 07:36 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior

Hopefully we will see the Deuce again some day. Maybe a CVO Deuce. Harley probably thought the market would not support two high dollar custom FX Softails. That may be true, but I see the Deuce as a more capable all-around bike and the Rockeris more of a barhopper only. I know wide tires look cool and the wider the cooler. But, if you go too wide it will have a negativeaffect on handling. I can't wait to read the road tests.

Old 07-11-2007 | 08:45 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

ORIGINAL: st john

Saint
The Rocker is going to have the same issues. I wouldn't necessarily say "very little" market, but it's a limited market. I'm sure the goal for the Rocker was to attract a younger crowd that tends to venture into the custom bike market. Custom bike builders stole some market share from Harley, and Harley wants it back. So they came out with a "custom" bike to do just that. Just like the Deuce, however, theRocker is going to be controversial. Especially with the rear end and seat. I doubt many people have an issue with the rake on the Rocker. Also, like the Deuce, because the bike is different from the rest of the Harley lineup, accessories offered by the MoCo will be limited. You will see the same "Except Softail Rocker and Rocker C" as you did the Deuce. Just as Voodoo said, though, there are plenty of aftermarket parts for the Deuce. I'm sure the same will happen for the Rocker. I would have loved to see the Deuce stick around, and the new Softail been called the Deuce Custom or something like that since they do share similarities. The Rocker should have been added to the Harley family like the V-Rod was, rather than replace other models. People must also remember that the Deuce was Harley's attempt at a more pro-street style bike. They built it with more rake and a stretched look. The Rocker was another attempt at the same thing and just took the look to another level. That's my thoughts on the subject.

Old 07-11-2007 | 12:12 PM
nikonf8
Supporter

its always the bottom line if it does not make the numbers it has to go its that simple. ever go to costco or one of them big places find an item you like go back next time and its gone for ever . its a numbers game and it decides always.

Old 07-11-2007 | 03:04 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

I've always liked the Deuce, and I'm sorry to see it go.

When I decided to add a Softail to the 'herd', I narrowed the choice down to either a FatBoy or Deuce.

I would have been more than happy with either, but was leaning towards the FatBoy since most of my riding is long distance runs, and when offered a 'super deal' I couldn't refuse (especially since it came with quick disconnect windshield, saddlebags, passenger rest/luggage rack, SERT, dyno tune, and a lot of other extras.)

I'm still considering purchasing a 100th Anniversity Deuce to go along with my 100th Anniversity FatBoy. Would make a good pair.

Quick Reply: No more Deuce? Why?