Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting predicament

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 03:02 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 453 Posts
Default Interesting predicament

Having an issue with my 2012 Fat Boy Lo. Checked the code, P0507,{ ECM Idle air control system RPM higher than expected }. That's exactly what it's doing, it's idling to high when either stopped or riding. A light come on right above the mileage screen ( yellow ) While checking the code it also gave me a part number. I saw a video on you tube that explained how to get this. Now i have another code and it also gave me the part number, that one i found, but not the first one. Someone else on the forum told me he had the same problem and changed the voltage regulator and that the problem went away. So i called Harley, i explain to them what i did and the service guy says, What did you do. So i explained each step to him. He says, that's not possible, if it were they'ed be out of business. I said oh, it's possible. He puts me on hold then says he asked the other techs and no one has heard of what i did.. So he asks for the vin, then tells me i have recall on my front brake master cylinder that they will replace for free and there was also a recall on the voltage regulator but that recall expired in 2014, i bought the bike privately in 2015., He said i should of gotten a letter about it, I didn't. But said i'd have to bring the bike in for them to put it on their machine to figure out the other thing. Told him that i'd gladly show him what i did to prove it's true.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:58 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,273 Likes on 4,442 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak Show
So he asks for the vin, then tells me i have recall on my front brake master cylinder that they will replace for free and there was also a recall on the voltage regulator but that recall expired in 2014, i bought the bike privately in 2015., He said i should of gotten a letter about it, I didn't.

Just an FYI....

In 2012 Harley issued a Service Bulletin M-1325, issued 6/11/12, for a batch of failing voltage regulators. It wasn't a recall. If it was a safety recall, it wouldn't expire......

It allowed for the replacement of your voltage regulator if it fit within a certain date code range. You had until the bike's warranty was up, to get the free replacement if you were qualified...

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
CVO2015 (05-28-2019), Spindrifter (05-23-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 01:12 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

I bought the bike privately in September of 2015. Harley says i should of gotten a letter about the master cylinder, but missed the time period for the voltage regulator.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:45 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

I bought the bike privately in September of 2015. Harley says i should of gotten a letter about the master cylinder, but missed the time period for the voltage regulator.
FWIW....

You can check the date code on your regulator to see if it's one of the ones that were affected.... if it's not, you're good. If it's within the affected date code range, you could change it at your convenience as preventative maintenance.

I had one of the affected regulators on my '12 Limited. When it got hot, and at lower rpms, the voltage it was putting out would drop......

Last edited by hattitude; 05-22-2019 at 07:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Freak Show (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
FWIW....

You can check the date code on your regulator to see if it's one of the ones that were affected.... if it's not, you're good. If it's within the affected date code range, you could change it at your convenience as preventative maintenance.

I had one of the affected regulators on my '12 Limited. When it got hot, and at lower rpms, the voltage it was putting out would drop......
Plan on replacing it just in case. It's already being shipped. Should be here friday. Hope it takes care of my problem. If not it's off to the shop. Been pretty lucky, have had the bike for three years with no issues. Will take it to Harley for the master cylinder recall.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 11:09 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
FWIW....

have never done this before, think i should unhook the battery first?

Old 05-23-2019, 10:17 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

have never done this before, think i should unhook the battery first?

No need, as I believe you can read the date code with the regulator still installed on the bike....

But I thought you said you were going to replace it anyways.... so you can check it easily after removing it.

When you remove the voltage regulator, follow the service manual recommendations. I don't remember if it says to disconnect the battery, but it almost always does when doing anything electrical...

Old 05-23-2019, 11:00 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah, i disconnected it. What a pain it was to put those plugs back in. The one i thought was going to be the easiest took the longest. Doesn't help that i don't have good grip. It didn't cure my issue, but at least i have a new one. I don't see any writing or a date on the old one anywhere Taking the bike to my local shop next wednesday to have it looked it. They told me it's probably a compression problem, leaking or cracked hose near the intake.. I appreciate your help.

Dan.