Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECE Certified Screaming eagle mufflers for Fat Bob 114

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 12:35 PM
yyokes
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ECE Certified Screaming eagle mufflers for Fat Bob 114

Hi there.

I have a 2018 Fat Bob 114 with stock mufflers on. I want to change them with Screamin Eagle Street Cannon mufflers and end caps..(Black ones)

Rinehart, Vance&Hines, etc are too loud for me.. I just want a bit more "Harley" sound, especially when revving..

I live in Izmir, Turkey.

My local dealer tells me that the new SE mufflers that can be sent to our region have "ECE" certificate, which means that they are in accordance with European emission standards.

And they also tell me: There will be almost no sound change when compared to stock mufflers, you will only get your mufflers "blackened"...

Does anybody from Europe have any experience with these new "European" ECE certified Screamin Eagle mufflers?

https://accessories.harley-davidson....sup/sup-models

Is there really NO sound difference?

If yes, this is meaningless because HD is selling these mufflers as "high flow mufflers which have been specifically tuned to deliver an aggressive exhaust note"..

I am thinking, maybe there are some type of "removable" silencers in these ECE mufflers..

Thanks in advance for the replies...

Last edited by yyokes; 04-24-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:58 AM
yyokes
Intermediate

Anybody from this side of the world?

Old 04-25-2019, 04:51 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 962 Likes on 661 Posts

No answer to your question, but al so interested in the answer.

The following users liked this post:
yyokes (04-25-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:05 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,798 Likes on 4,197 Posts

I have no personal experience with the ECE noise standard...... but your question made me curious...

FWIW........

The ECE standard is even harder to read and understand than the US EPA standard, so I may not have understood it correctly...

It appears to me, the ECE standard can't be higher than 79db. The chart had different levels, stages, and vehicle types. Additionally, I couldn't understand how they measure the sound level. But the chart ranged from low 70s db to a high of 79db.

For comparison, here in California, street motorcycles have had a max of 80db for many years...

I know that the OEM sound level (80db) of CA bikes is totally unacceptable to me. Changing the exhaust has always been one of the first things I do to a new bike.

If the ECE is in fact a max of 79 db, that would mean the Screamin' Eagle mufflers would be no louder than the US OEM mufflers...

While sound is a subjective thing, those mufflers would be a no-go for me.....

Hopefully someone will speak up with real ECE experience, like I said, you made me curious.....

Last edited by hattitude; 04-29-2019 at 11:12 AM.
yyokes (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 01:51 PM
yyokes
Intermediate

@hattitude , thanks for the reply... That's also what the local dealer told me.. But I have been watching videos from Europe, where many FBobs with SE mufflers on.... And they sound quite nice actually...

Anyway, I have ordered a set of SE street cannons..

We will see how they sound when I receive them... I will try to shoot a video too..

hattitude (04-29-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 12:58 AM
yyokes
Intermediate

Well, I have finally installed my "ECE Certified" Screaming Eagle Slip ons...

It seems that these parts below (db killers), which make them "ECE Certified" are removable. ( You take out the end caps first, then you remove them just by unscrewing 3 bolts )

When they are removed, end of the pipe is like this:

When they are on, the sound of the pipe is most likely a stock pipe. Only black...

But when they are removed, the sound (according to me for sure) is excellent...

Not as loud as a high flow muffler like Rinehart or V&H. Just in the middle between them and the stock pipe. Typical Harley sound, especially at high revs.

And when you release the throttle after revving, you also get some harsh sounds during de-compression.

It is very much similar to the bike in this video:

You get a little bit drop in the low-end torque, but I really liked them... ������������.

Last edited by yyokes; 05-25-2019 at 01:14 AM.
hattitude (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 01:08 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

I have the S&S "ECE Approved" with removable db killer on order, expected them to be in the house at next Tuesday.

yyokes (05-25-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 11:43 PM
CVO2015
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Patriot Defenders, a friend of mine here in the United States bought something like this for his Street Glide, you push a button and a gate closes at the end of the pipe silencing it down when you ride through a town then hit the button and you are aggressive again, they are not overly loud either still more quiet than my V&H Super Radius with baffles. I installed them and it is a cable operated servo with a simple but nice looking button mounted on the handle bars.He picked them up at Sturgis and they were actually advertised for Europe. He leaves his house quiet and after a few blocks away opens them up. Several people question the flow ability after they close but it doesn't change the flow, there are a set of smaller ports around the big port forcing the exhaust go through the muffler section first and out the out holes when in the closed position, the flow is not interrupted, the sound is the only thing that changes.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:49 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by CVO2015
Check out Patriot Defenders, a friend of mine here in the United States bought something like this for his Street Glide, you push a button and a gate closes at the end of the pipe silencing it down when you ride through a town then hit the button and you are aggressive again, they are not overly loud either still more quiet than my V&H Super Radius with baffles. I installed them and it is a cable operated servo with a simple but nice looking button mounted on the handle bars.He picked them up at Sturgis and they were actually advertised for Europe. He leaves his house quiet and after a few blocks away opens them up. Several people question the flow ability after they close but it doesn't change the flow, there are a set of smaller ports around the big port forcing the exhaust go through the muffler section first and out the out holes when in the closed position, the flow is not interrupted, the sound is the only thing that changes.
That is a system like the Jeckyl and Hide exhaust, they are expensive.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:54 AM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 115 Likes on 81 Posts

Kesstech has similar but those systems cost aoround 3,000USD....

RJ

Quick Reply: ECE Certified Screaming eagle mufflers for Fat Bob 114