Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy S hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:54 AM
nathan@mtech.co.nz
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatboy S hard to start

a friend of mine has a 2016 fatboy s with the 110, it seems like its really hard to turn over and start when cold.

i have a lowrider s that used to have the same problem from new, after 18months of hard starting and clicking from the starter like i had a flat battery, i found there was an update to recalibrate the acr, had the local dealer flash the update and its started nice ever since, even after sitting for a few weeks with no battery tender attached.

im thinking my friend has the same problem with his fatboy s

have any of you guys heard of an acr calibration update for the 2016 fatboy s?
and if so, whats it called ? so i can let him know what he should tell the dealer needs to be done.

cheers

Last edited by nathan@mtech.co.nz; 04-09-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:45 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,224 Posts

I have a 2017 Fatboy S. I recall a Harley clutch recalibration, which I had done, but don't recall anything regarding the ACR.

By the way, I have an S&S "EZ start" cam in mine that really makes a big difference.
the

Old 04-09-2019, 01:55 PM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Jesus, really TMAC? I just wrote about this in the very thread you started about your 100/100 club....

Anyways....YES....there was a bulletin put out to have the 110 S models flashed at the dealer to correct something with the compression release. When I purchased my Fatboy S in 17 I noticed how hard it was to start from cold, and hot for that matter. Asked the parts counter about it and was told "you have to leave it on the tinder". Bullshit I said, but that was what I was told. Funny thing is I remember they had it on the tinder when it was on the floor...on a brand new bike. That should have been the red flag, but you know what they say..."battery takes a beating from people starting it, not riding it".

It wasn't a month or so later that I got the owner's bulletin in the mail. Took it in, flashed it, and it was spot on ever since. It did come back again after I flashed the bike with a Target Tune flash. Same hard starting BS. I pulled the Target Tune off, flashed a tune for the stock O2 sensors, and has not gave me any issue since.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:53 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,885 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
Jesus, really TMAC? I just wrote about this in the very thread you started about your 100/100 club....

Anyways....YES....there was a bulletin put out to have the 110 S models flashed at the dealer to correct something with the compression release. When I purchased my Fatboy S in 17 I noticed how hard it was to start from cold, and hot for that matter. Asked the parts counter about it and was told "you have to leave it on the tinder". Bullshit I said, but that was what I was told. Funny thing is I remember they had it on the tinder when it was on the floor...on a brand new bike. That should have been the red flag, but you know what they say..."battery takes a beating from people starting it, not riding it".

It wasn't a month or so later that I got the owner's bulletin in the mail. Took it in, flashed it, and it was spot on ever since. It did come back again after I flashed the bike with a Target Tune flash. Same hard starting BS. I pulled the Target Tune off, flashed a tune for the stock O2 sensors, and has not gave me any issue since.
You're right. I completely forgot about that. It's age catching up with me. This isn't the first time.

By the way, I'm going to update that thread I started after a few things that are SUPPOSED to happen DO happen...