Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Licence Plate Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019 | 09:20 AM
Andylock
|
Novice
Default Licence Plate Removal

Hi All

I apologise if this is a stupid question and I'm missing something obvious, but to say I'm frustrated would be a bit like saying Genghis Khan was 'a bit feisty'!

So I have new lovely new Cult Werks side number plate mount. I have also now received the 19mm hex key I had to order to get the original axle nut off and have found a mate with a 30mm socket to put back the new flanged one; whilst that has been a bit of a saga, I'm happy as the new mount looks great.

But. How in the name of everything holy do you get the old mounting that is attached underneath the fender off? I've undone the two sissy bar support bolts that screw through the side rail, but I can't see any other fixings anywhere and it's still absolutely rock solid.

Any advise very, very much appreciated!

(2014 Softail Breakout btw)

Old 04-07-2019 | 07:35 AM
Andylock
|
Novice

So, an update on this - I've managed to sort it. It turned out to be reasonably straightforward in the end, but for people (like me) who haven't done much work on their bikes, all these things are a bit daunting. So, in case it helps some other novice like me, a step by step guide to the process.

DO NOT be fooled into thinking you can do this with the fender in situ. There is a bolt that screws into the strut from the inside, there is almost no clearance between fender and tyre and unless your bike is straight out of the showroom, its going to be caked up and a bit rusted.
  1. Get the fender off. Remove the pillion pad which exposes the two main seat retaining bolts; remove these and lift the seat backwards and off.
  2. You will see three cables coming in from underneath the rear fender. These are the stop / tail lights and the licence plate light (depending on country I guess, bear in mind I'm in Blighty). Unclip these from their sockets.
  3. Now undo the four frontmost bolts (two on each side) that attach the struts to the frame (these are T45 torx bolts). The fender should now come free, by pushing slightly up and forward to lease it from it mountings.
  4. Now you can get at those bolts from undernath. Remove the two rear sissy bar mounting bolts from the outside (6mm hex I think). Now undo the two inside bolts that screw into the struts (T45 torx again) - these will be tight, I soaked mine in WD-40 for a while before attempting.
  5. This will release a metal plate on each side. Remove this and the offending lump of metal will come loose.
  6. Cut or disconnect the cable from the existing licence plate light and the whole assembly can be removed.
  7. Replace the metal plates with the bolts from both sides and you're good to go!
  8. If you are fitting a side mount like me, bear in mind the licence plate light cable comes out the wrong side and will need to be re-routed before replacing the fender.
Hope this helps someone with the same problem

Old 04-07-2019 | 08:56 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Looks way better with sidemounted plate.

Old 04-07-2019 | 10:53 AM
Andylock
|
Novice

Thanks MoneyFor. I'm pleased with it