Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy or Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 12:35 PM
EasyT
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatboy or Deluxe?

Hi, new to the forum, wanted to introduce myself and ask a question. I'm going to be a first-time buyer soon. I've taken my motorcycle endorsement course, the only time I've ever ridden a motorcycle.

I'm a Harley fan and want to buy a softail. I've whittled my choices down to either a Fatboy or Deluxe. I love the looks of both, but would like to know the differences in them. What's the difference in how they ride? Are there any?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:29 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Deluxe cause I don’t like the new fatty’s. If you are getting an older fatty then I’d choose the fatboy.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:14 PM
BiG.TC
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Deluxe big fenders white walls. And endless ways to make it your style.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:26 PM
spartan03
Tourer
Received 289 Likes on 138 Posts

In my unending indecision, I have tested all the softails except the Deluxe and FXDR. I really like them all, but still have a stacking. My current favorite is the fat bob, but I really like the looks of the Deluxe and if they still had those retro paint jobs I might be leaning more in that direction. My guess is that if you get an M8 softail, you will be very happy with whatever you get.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:53 AM
MrNovember80
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyT
Hi, new to the forum, wanted to introduce myself and ask a question. I'm going to be a first-time buyer soon. I've taken my motorcycle endorsement course, the only time I've ever ridden a motorcycle.

I'm a Harley fan and want to buy a softail. I've whittled my choices down to either a Fatboy or Deluxe. I love the looks of both, but would like to know the differences in them. What's the difference in how they ride? Are there any?

Thanks in advance for any info.
First, Welcome!
Second- Get the Fat Boy, it is the baddest looking and fastest stock Softail, Terminator tested & approved
Third- Really, it is all about YOUR experience on them, go test ride both and do extensive research on them, specially as a 1st time buyer and rider.
Just my .2 cents, as a first time rider and getting into the brad, I would just buy a cheap Sportster and ride it for a season and see if it really is what you expect riding to be. Then, when ready to upgrade go pull the trigger on your favorite scooter.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2019, 09:58 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 325 Posts

Asking a question like this on a public forum....The answers you will get will be 6 of one, half dozen of the other. You still won't have a definitive answer.

This really is a question that you.....and ONLY you, can answer. None of us are going to be looking at or riding your bike.

My advice....do your research. Be realistic with yourself, because no one else matters. Then, make your decision

Old 03-25-2019, 11:47 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyT
Hi, my choices down to either a Fatboy or Deluxe. I love the looks of both, but would like to know the differences in them.
What's the difference in how they ride? Are there any? Thanks in advance for any info.
Already asked but new bike (2018 & UP) or older used bike?
Once you answer that you will get a better educated response.
With the 18's and up there is (IMHO) allot more differences between the two bikes.
Where previous years (again IMHO) it is more sheet metal & style (looks) differences making it more personal preference.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:15 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

It has to be your personal opinion, what do you like better? We all have our own tastes. get out and ride them. being a brand new rider, any of the HDs are alot of motorcycle (weight) and you are going to need to get a lot of practice to be safe and feel confident. Ive ridden 60 years (dirt bikes, and 750 or smaller rice rockets) but never got on a HD until 2004 and it was an eye opener for me.

The older fatboys and deluxe(i think it was pre 2006) road exactly the same only difference was the look, full front fender and spokes on the Deluxe. The newer fatboys got the shorter rear fender and a wider rear tire so they ride different. Both are good riding bike but IMO I like the longer rear fender and the wider rear tire on the new fatboy doesnt make a difference to me. For me if it is before the change either but i went Fatboy because I liked the solid wheels over the spokes. if it were a new model Id go Deluxe because I like the longer fenders. But its all up to the owner, that why we all ride different models and do different modifications

You really wont get a true feel on a 15 min test ride, talk to your dealer and see if you can get a deal on rental for a day and split the day renting a fatboy and then a Deluxe, get 50-100 miles on them and then make your decision based on riding and looks

Old 03-26-2019, 04:20 PM
justcruising
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My two favourites in the current models too. Personally I prefer my Deluxe but I do really like the look of the FB too. The solid wheels of the FB look good, would be lower maintenance & safer imo (tubeless). BUT the first time I experienced the wider rear wheel, comparatively to my Deluxe it felt like it did’t want to go round corners ... like it was fighting me to stay upright. I didn’t like it at all. Admittedly it had some mileage up & the rear tyre appeared worn in the centre. A test ride comparison is essential. Good luck!

Last edited by justcruising; 03-26-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:09 AM
AaBorokokok
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Deluxe!

Quick Reply: Fatboy or Deluxe?