Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy or Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 01:43 AM
LDH_On_Board
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are looking at a new bike I'd go for the Deluxe. I'm not much of a fan of the styling of the newer Fatboys. If its an older model, I'd want a Fatboy. I was in the market a little over a year ago and I all but signed my name on a 2011 Fatboy until I got a deal on a Heritage. And to be honest, the Heritage comes with all the accessories that I would have wanted to add to the Fatboy anyways so, for me, that was better decision.

The best advise I've seen on your thread so far has been by MrNovember80. Being a first time rider, pick up something that you wouldn't mind beating up for a season and see if you are going to be into it as much as you think. The emotional anguish will be much less on a $2,000 dollar Honda if and when you drop it. And who knows if you'll be into it. You see it all the time where guys buy a new Harley just for it to be ridden for 3k miles over 10 years. I went that route in a roundabout way. I bought a Honda CBR for 1200 bucks, rode it for about 3 years, sold it with the intent on putting that cash toward my Harley. Life kind of got in the way and I didn't end up buying the hog until about 3 years after I sold the CBR but, I got there.

But, you can read and listen to all the advise and opinions these forums have to offer but at the end of the day you have to make the decision on what you feel is right for you. I'm sure there are people that have jumped right in it and don't look back. Either way test ride, do the research, and don't let a fast talking salesman bend you over.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:04 AM
Bwall77
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Many others have already said.....only you can decide on the best bike for you. I bought a 2011 fat boy for my first bike and couldn’t be happier.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:00 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 585 Likes on 425 Posts

"Just my .2 cents, as a first time rider and getting into the brad, I would just buy a cheap Sportster and ride it for a season and see if it really is what you expect riding to be. Then, when ready to upgrade go pull the trigger on your favorite scooter."
I like this idea. But I wouldn't limit myself to a sportster. A cheap metric will give you a feel of the road as well. It stings less to to drop a old used bike compared to a brand new one. As you gain road time then go to demo days and try what you like. You will soon figure it out. Good luck and be safe.

Last edited by heavymetalthunder; 03-27-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:40 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
"Just my .2 cents, as a first time rider and getting into the brad, I would just buy a cheap Sportster and ride it for a season and see if it really is what you expect riding to be. Then, when ready to upgrade go pull the trigger on your favorite scooter."
I like this idea. But I wouldn't limit myself to a sportster. A cheap metric will give you a feel of the road as well. It stings less to to drop a old used bike compared to a brand new one. As you gain road time then go to demo days and try what you like. You will soon figure it out. Good luck and be safe.
The Sportster as a starter bike is a good idea. Harley Davidson has a program for Sportsters if you buy it new from them they guarantee full purchase price if it is traded in for another Harley within 1 year. its a good way to get a feel for a larger V Twin and see if you will really use it, if you do you can trade it in anytime and get full cost of the bike (less tax and reg) back to use towards the bike of your choice. It is the Freedom Promise https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...m-promise.html

I started my HD relationship with the my first HD a 2004 Sportster Roadster 1200, then a Road King Custom, Fatboy, Road Glide and back to the original Fatboy.

Last edited by XARAN; 03-27-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:20 PM
NAPRA
Road Captain

Received 817 Likes on 288 Posts

My favorite bike is usually the one I own at the time. I've had a fatboy and a deluxe in the past and the deluxe fit me better. It just felt right. My advice would be to buy whichever one fits you like a glove. You'll not regret it.

Deluxe on the right

Old 03-31-2019, 05:34 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
Asking a question like this on a public forum....The answers you will get will be 6 of one, half dozen of the other. You still won't have a definitive answer.

This really is a question that you.....and ONLY you, can answer. None of us are going to be looking at or riding your bike.

My advice....do your research. Be realistic with yourself, because no one else matters. Then, make your decision
Best advice you could hope for, right there ^^^

Old 03-31-2019, 05:51 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,242 Likes on 427 Posts

I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but one thing you might do is consider renting each of the bikes for a day.
But first, study the bikes online. Look at HD page and compare both bikes. Know which one, for example, has a higher seat, or shorter..
Sit on both bikes on the floor. Try to determine which feels more comfortable to you. How do the handle bars feel, can you plant your feet,..

You should test, at least, test ride each bike: those short rides may be enough to help you make a decision. If not, spending a day renting both, likely will.

But, either way, they are both beautiful bikes, mechanically, they are very similar. There is not a right or wrong answer, it is just what you like.
I am sure you will be delighted with either.

Some HD dealers will rent bikes.
Eagle rider also does, but they may not have the ones you want.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:59 AM
Kingface
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts

FatBoy. Reason being is because I have an older Fatboy and because I have one means that it's the best......

Old 04-02-2019, 10:05 AM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 96,534 Likes on 24,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingface
FatBoy. Reason being is because I have an older Fatboy and because I have one means that it's the best......
can't argue with this logic.

The following users liked this post:
Kingface (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 01:11 PM
Blackdog.tx
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fat Boy vs Deluxe differences... haha, lol. I had/have the same dilemma when considering a new bike....and still ride my 2005 Fatboy.

Difference between the 2018's.... tires, fenders, seat, bars, cosmetics, etc.... 114 motor option on FB... what do you want?

First bike / any bike... get what you want and learn to ride it well. After you get considerable miles on the bike, consider taking an advanced rider course on your bike.

The Fat Boy is my heaviest bike; I rode 2 bikes over 7 yrs before the FB. In the advanced course, I pushed every exercise... turning, leaning, draggin boards, braking, sliding... to see how it handled and control it. Even after 8 yrs riding 3 bikes, that course was my best $$$ spent.

Last edited by Blackdog.tx; 04-03-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Fatboy or Deluxe?