Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reuse head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019 | 02:50 PM
Gearhead_573
Advanced

Originally Posted by pat_in_the_hat

Next question. since Im this far in, what are the perks of trading out the oem gaskets with some smaller 0.03" gaskets? Higher compression. But that wont really be helpful without headwork, right?
Its a stock 88" with andrews 21 cams. Not needing a race bike, but since ive got a head off, thought i would ask
It might help some but obviously you would have to remove the other head gasket and replace it also.

Old 03-08-2019 | 07:13 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I have reused Cometic MLS gaskets in my 10.8:1 96" Evo but coated them with this first....
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...SABEgK-yPD_BwE
Never an issue.. I don't baby my BABY either...

Old 03-08-2019 | 07:33 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
I had to remove heads on my Evo after torquing them down (engine had not run), I did not replace the head gaskets, no issues.
Apples verses oranges issue, once they've been through some heat cycles they are replacement only.

Old 03-09-2019 | 10:59 PM
pat_in_the_hat
|
Cruiser

i ended up going to the stealership yesterday. picked up a new gasket for $7.50. definitely worth the peace of mind.
got it all back together today.but it would start.
turns over, has compression, and sounds normal.
but it doesnt have spark.
fuses are good. i think i hooked everything back up...
no codes being put out. any chance the coil could have gone bad? i didnt touch anything electrical during my tear down.
im stumped

Old 03-10-2019 | 05:36 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

i ended up going to the stealership yesterday. picked up a new gasket for $7.50. definitely worth the peace of mind.
got it all back together today.but it would start.
turns over, has compression, and sounds normal.
but it doesnt have spark.
fuses are good. i think i hooked everything back up...
no codes being put out. any chance the coil could have gone bad? i didnt touch anything electrical during my tear down.
im stumped
You disturbed something.....If the coil was good before the teardown, it's good now.
You're gonna have to track down the problem, some connection is loose or broken.

Old 03-10-2019 | 09:51 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

i knew a girl in high school that got a pickle stuck up her yee-haw. she had to go to the ER to get it removed....
Although not knowing/seeing her, I think I would have liked to be there for either the Insertion or Retraction (preferably both)... but maybe that's just me

Was it you? If so, change your Username to put_in_the_twat

Last edited by multihdrdr; 03-10-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-10-2019 | 05:28 PM
Ruggs59
Road Master

I did the same thing kinda, When i replaced the base gaskets I had just finished the heads. Had the bright idea to spray some rem oil thru the spark plug hole, yup the plastic straw on the can shot into the cylinder, Tried for an hour to get it out, but being the SE heads are the small hole plugs it was next to impossible. undid the heads and bolted it back down again with no issues, But it had not had any heat cycles.

Old 03-10-2019 | 08:55 PM
pat_in_the_hat
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Although not knowing/seeing her, I think I would have liked to be there for either the Insertion or Retraction (preferably both)... but maybe that's just me

Was it you? If so, change your Username to put_in_the_twat

she was cute. i wouldnt mind seeing the insertion. retraction was probably a weird situation... doctors and nurses standing around seeing what else they can find in that vending machine.

Originally Posted by Ruggs59
I did the same thing kinda, When i replaced the base gaskets I had just finished the heads. Had the bright idea to spray some rem oil thru the spark plug hole, yup the plastic straw on the can shot into the cylinder, Tried for an hour to get it out, but being the SE heads are the small hole plugs it was next to impossible. undid the heads and bolted it back down again with no issues, But it had not had any heat cycles.
ha damn thats bad luck. and agreed about the small hole. I got one of these from home depot. and could grab the pencil by the end, but it wouldnt fit back thru the hole. it was frustrating

current progress: took the tank off again and everything looks connected and clean. pcIII is getting power and lights up. kinda running out of avenues to check...

Old 03-10-2019 | 10:52 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Get a tube of Goop and some bailing wire or similar, a long wire tie will work, put a dab of Goop on the end, that's nice thick sticky stuff and it'll stay put. With a pen light go fishing for the end of the pencil. Don't worry about it getting on anything first second and half it fires it's burnt out and gone. Anti seize the spark plug threads before replacing.

Been there done this for the same reasons, in a hurry and Murphy smiled.

Old 03-10-2019 | 10:59 PM
skills
Tourer

When you have it all buttoned back up and go to hit the starter switch, you'll be glad you were generous with your time and spent the few dollars to do it right. Piece of mind my friend.

Quick Reply: reuse head gasket