Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOFTAIL DELUXE OR HERITAGE ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007 | 05:29 PM
throttlejunkie
|
Road Warrior
Default RE: SOFTAIL DELUXE OR HERITAGE ??

Marsh
YOUR BIKE LOOKS SWEET !!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2007 | 09:05 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master

Ride them both. Buy the one that feels right to you. There is no accounting for taste, and the bike I love is just as likely to be the one you hate. If you buy based on looks or specs instead of seat of the pants feel, chances are good that you will end up admiring the bike in your garage that you hardly ever ride.

Old 07-08-2007 | 07:52 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

I looked at both and decided on the Heritage because of the bags, etc. I installed the Bubba's Brake quick detach setup and can go from bagger to bare in about two minutes:

Old 07-08-2007 | 09:46 AM
Jules
Tourer

If I could go back and do it over again, I would have bought a Heritage, no question about it. If I wouldn't lose a bunch on money on trading in my 07 Springer I would do it tomorrow.

Old 07-08-2007 | 11:22 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I bought a new Heritage in 2005. As part of the deal I talked the dealer into swapping out the blackwalls for whitewalls. Couldn't have cost him much because the blacks were brand new.

The lower handlebars on the Deluxe look cool but if you ride long distance the ability to sit up straight with your back straight is helpful to me. The higher seat height with more leg room is helpful to me too even at 5' 10."

I wonder if the Deluxe seat would fit a Heritage since the frames are the same?? So many people swap for aftermarket seats that new take-offs seem to be dirt cheap on ebay.

I have to admit that I prefer the tail light on a Deluxe and I don't think you can just swap. Seems like the holes in the fender itself are different unless I recall incorrectly.

I wouldn't buy a 2007 bike. I'd buy a loaded up 2005 or earlier. Too much in the air about big troubles with the new engine and 6 speed. Don't know it it's true but look at the thread on this site about "2007 tranny problem" that's now at about 1,500 posts.

There are lots of low mileage adult owned late model bikes out there cheap and they may have thousands of dollars of extras on them. New and used Harleys just aren't selling well right now, seems to me.

Old 07-08-2007 | 03:29 PM
StillMisterSlim
Intermediate

Hi Dave:

I bought an '06 Deluxe (Cobalt Blue and White) and think it's the nicest looking bike Harley puts out. Have Vance and Hines pipes and matching saddle bags. Being 6'1" the problem is the seat height. @ 24.5" it's the lowest in the Harley Line. I am sending the stock seat off to Mean City Cycles tomorrow. The will get my butt back a few inches and get me raised up 1"-2.5". Then it will be perfect. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2007 | 10:17 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

..........I wouldn't buy a 2007 bike. I'd buy a loaded up 2005 or earlier. Too much in the air about big troubles with the new engine and 6 speed. Don't know it it's true but look at the thread on this site about "2007 tranny problem" that's now at about 1,500 posts.......
Check and see how many of those posts are from the same guys over and over again. Also, the complaints are almost exclusively about touring bikes, not Softails. I have 6300 miles on my '07 Heritage with no issues at all. I wouldn't trade my 96", 6 speed for an '05 or '06.

Jim

Old 07-09-2007 | 04:38 AM
throttlejunkie
|
Road Warrior

I AM CHECKING OUT AN 01 HERITAGE CLASSIC TODAY AFTER WORK. 14,000 MILES, PIPES , AND SOME OTHER GOODIES. PRICE IS ABOUT 11,000. DOES THAT SEEM TO BE IN LINE ?
I WAS AT THE DEALER YESTERDAY AND THE 07 DID NOT LOOK TOO DIFFERENT FROM TH 01. I'M SURE THERE ARE PLENTY OF DIFFERENCES, BUT THEY LOOK CLOSE.HOPEFULLY IF THE RAIN LETS UP I WILL GET THE CHANCE TO RIDE IT TODAY.
THANKS
DAVE

Old 07-09-2007 | 07:28 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

That's about right, depending on who's had it and it's care.

I bought an 02 Deuce with literally $4k in extras and only 3,500 miles for $12k. It belonged to a 70 year old wealthy man who's wife bought it new for him for Christmas in 02. I mean, the bike is brand new. Deuce bags, stage one, windvest windshield, 57/100 factory ghost pearl flames ($1,000) seat, rack, sissy bar, chrome up the kazoo, etc.

Might have paid a little much but he had receipts for over $22k.

Old 07-09-2007 | 11:04 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: j2dawson

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

..........I wouldn't buy a 2007 bike. I'd buy a loaded up 2005 or earlier. Too much in the air about big troubles with the new engine and 6 speed. Don't know it it's true but look at the thread on this site about "2007 tranny problem" that's now at about 1,500 posts.......
Check and see how many of those posts are from the same guys over and over again. Also, the complaints are almost exclusively about touring bikes, not Softails. I have 6300 miles on my '07 Heritage with no issues at all. I wouldn't trade my 96", 6 speed for an '05 or '06.

Jim
Might be. Read this:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_654370/mp...tm.htm#1885688

"Looks like HD is going to screw it's 07 buyers, take a look at their site for the 08 model specs. Apparently they've done something to improve the drive-line noise, calling it a new (IDS) Isolated Drive System, i.e. supposedly improves ride quality by reducing drive-line noise. Gee, where do you think they got the hint? The 08 tour models also get a 6 gallon fuel tank. It appears NOW that all ofus who bought the 07's were just test riding for MOCO, at our ownexpense. I bet you don't hear the clatter this year!"

Quick Reply: SOFTAIL DELUXE OR HERITAGE ??