Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail deluxe that used to go down the road crooked!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 12:44 PM
harleydad
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default softail deluxe that used to go down the road crooked!

Well here ya go,
Don't believe anything that the dealership tells you about what was done on your ride!
After the 1000 mile tune up my sft deluxe felt like the back end was wanting to pass the front end on the right! [my first thoughts] I told them, their response, we will check the steering.
No help. Next I asked them to double check the alignment, they said it was good.
I believed them, big mistake. after three weeks of measuring everything but the rear wheel alignment, I knew that is what it had to be because the front tire wanted to track to the right of center. sure enough 7 hund. off . fixed it, straight as an arrow no typical pull to the left either!
No hands, straight down the road. Check yours if it pulls!

Old 10-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: softail deluxe that used to go down the road crooked!

Yeah that figures, I have recently decided to do all my own wrenching (that im capable of). Not even taking mine in for the 1k oil change, all that equates to is $$$$$, knowing that they cut corners. To many Harleys on the road for a dealer to give you or your bike any sincere attention. This forum has helped alot with that decision, time to order my manual and get with it !!!!!

Old 10-25-2005, 03:55 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Sounds like a good idea to do your own wrenching if you have the capabilities. I feel that there are somethings that a person can do on their own without going to the HD mechanic.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Maniac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a great idea. I have been fortunate so far with our dealership doing it right and doing it right the first time. But I think that anyone should still have a manual, if anything, just to check their work. Anyone can make a mistake. It just sucks when you bring it to their attention and they still can't get it right.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:05 AM
JoeVFR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Springer,
Is there a general manual and a model specific manual? (such as Honda) Have you seen that DVD, I think its called fix my hog or something like that and would you recommend it? I plan on doing my own wrenching. I took it in for the 1,000 mile check and was not too impressed, they changed the oil filter and made a mess. I also had a dragging front brake I wanted them to look at and they said it was normal. Thanks, in advance.
JoeVFR

Old 10-26-2005, 09:36 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

I wish I had just a quarter for everything the dealers say is "normal" and isn't, or" they all do that" and they don't or not supposed to. It's a shame that the dealers for the most part don't give a darn after the sale is made. Do as much of your own work as you can, even get the video mentioned above and the manuals for your bike to learn more about your ride, coupled with the information available here in the DIY section and the answers you can get in the forums if you get stuck with something and you'll be able to do a lot of your own maintenance. The more you know , the better off you are. There so many things that are a simple adjustment that the dealers pass off as nothing to worry about and would make a happy customer but they choose to do the "harley dance" with you instead of fixing the problem. If you do have to take your ride to the dealer and tell them what YOU think the problem is, I think you get a more honest approach to fix your problem if they think you know more about your ride. JMHO

You'll really be surprised just how much you can do yourself if you just try it!

Ask Harleydad, he'll tell you!

Old 10-27-2005, 03:48 PM
JoeVFR
Tourer

I'm sorry, I meant you TC, not Springer. So you do recommend that DVD?

Old 10-27-2005, 08:49 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mis-aligned rear wheels are pretty common. Mine was like that right from the dealer on day one. It pulled to the right like crazy. I check the rear wheel and it was off on one side by almost a 1/2 inch. I think they let the shop bonehead do setups and minor repairs. Of course, I insisted on not paying a setup fee, so maybe they did it on purpose...lol

Old 10-27-2005, 08:55 PM
KY REBEL
Cruiser

My FB was way off from day one as well.....makes wonder sometimes

Old 10-28-2005, 09:12 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: JoeVFR

I'm sorry, I meant you TC, not Springer. So you do recommend that DVD?

The more input you get for repairs, the easier it will be for you. The service manual is a must and the video would no doubt add to that. IMO

There is a specific manual for your bike. You'll find that the electrical manual for your model also gives excellent info as well.

Unfortunately the manual the dealer offers is usually better than aftermarket.

Quick Reply: softail deluxe that used to go down the road crooked!