Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel range indicator

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019 | 08:06 PM
Blupearl
|
Novice
Default Fuel range indicator

Good evening everyone. First of all, thank you all for the great info here.
I have tied searchin and can’t find the answer. I have a 2009 heritage softail that needed a battery. I took the original battery out almost 1 week ago and did not put the replacement in until this evening. Everything works fine after the install with one small exception. My fuel range indicator shows Lo, gauge shows about half a tank (accurate). The weather here won’t be decent to ride for several days so it will sit a while longer. Does the fuel range indicator need some sort of
re-set?
Thanks in advance,
Alex

Old 02-20-2019 | 08:46 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior

It will take a tank or two for it to re-calibrate itself.
You dont need to do anything.
It will be OK...dont stress

The following users liked this post:
Blupearl (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019 | 04:18 AM
Blupearl
|
Novice

Thank you so much. That is what I was thinking, and hoping.
be safe!

Old 02-21-2019 | 05:40 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master

Normally, after you fill the gas tank if you keep an eye on the "R miles" remaining as you ride away from the gas pump you will see it re-set. With you having the battery out of your bike for a while maybe it just needs for you to fill the tank and ride it a bit to re-calibrate itself. On my 6 gallon tank, depending on whether or not I kept squeezing the pump trigger to get every drop possible in my tank or I just stopped pumping when the auto shutoff activated, my R miles may show anywhere from 210 R miles to maybe 275 R miles. But regardless of what the R miles show after I fill up there ain't no way in hell I will really get those many miles LOL. So, in my experience on several different Harleys the R miles is misleading after I fill up. But, as the amount of gas in the tank drops the R miles number seems to become pretty accurate and I have found the R miles number to be very accurate when my tank is really low and R miles gets down to, say, 100 or less miles.

And on my previous bike, a '13 RGC, on several occasions I noticed that after filling up and riding away from the pump my R miles would seem to re-set to, maybe, 225 or 243 or whatever, as was normal--BUT after I got down the road I noticed my R miles figure WAS INCREASING, NOT decreasing. First time I noticed that I had filled up and wasn't paying attention to the R miles till later in the day and when I looked the R miles was OVER 300 and kept INCREASING as I rode even though the gas gauge seemed to be going down normally. At some point I stopped somewhere for something and turned the bike off. When I got back on and started the bike the R miles was still showing over 300 R miles but from that point the number of R miles started decreasing and after I filled up the next time it seemed to re-set the R miles properly and the R miles would correctly decrease as I rode. So, the R miles INCREASING situation happened to me more than once but turning the bike off and restarting seemed to chase the gremlin away, at least for a while. Never did try real hard to find out what was causing that issue.

Old 02-22-2019 | 05:24 PM
Blupearl
|
Novice

Originally Posted by KYRGultra
Normally, after you fill the gas tank if you keep an eye on the "R miles" remaining as you ride away from the gas pump you will see it re-set. With you having the battery out of your bike for a while maybe it just needs for you to fill the tank and ride it a bit to re-calibrate itself. On my 6 gallon tank, depending on whether or not I kept squeezing the pump trigger to get every drop possible in my tank or I just stopped pumping when the auto shutoff activated, my R miles may show anywhere from 210 R miles to maybe 275 R miles. But regardless of what the R miles show after I fill up there ain't no way in hell I will really get those many miles LOL. So, in my experience on several different Harleys the R miles is misleading after I fill up. But, as the amount of gas in the tank drops the R miles number seems to become pretty accurate and I have found the R miles number to be very accurate when my tank is really low and R miles gets down to, say, 100 or less miles.

And on my previous bike, a '13 RGC, on several occasions I noticed that after filling up and riding away from the pump my R miles would seem to re-set to, maybe, 225 or 243 or whatever, as was normal--BUT after I got down the road I noticed my R miles figure WAS INCREASING, NOT decreasing. First time I noticed that I had filled up and wasn't paying attention to the R miles till later in the day and when I looked the R miles was OVER 300 and kept INCREASING as I rode even though the gas gauge seemed to be going down normally. At some point I stopped somewhere for something and turned the bike off. When I got back on and started the bike the R miles was still showing over 300 R miles but from that point the number of R miles started decreasing and after I filled up the next time it seemed to re-set the R miles properly and the R miles would correctly decrease as I rode. So, the R miles INCREASING situation happened to me more than once but turning the bike off and restarting seemed to chase the gremlin away, at least for a while. Never did try real hard to find out what was causing that issue.
Thanks for the response. I agree with you and don’t really rely on the R miles. It was just a little surprising to see the change. It should not have surprised me with electronics the way they are. I’ll chime in when it re sets just in case someone else needs it. Thanks again, ride safe.

Old 05-28-2022 | 01:36 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master

The miles remaining indication works well for me. I understand it is dynamically changing between current conditions and the previous tank. I try to fill up with 50-100 miles of range left, never push the limits anymore. I have been surprised a few times by a few prairie head winds which can drastically reduce the range. The Colorado mountains to the gale force winds on the Wyoming plains was a hard transition. Yes, I ran out but CAA/AAA came to the rescue.

I see substantial differences in the reported range depending on the area I'm riding. I live in the prairies and normally my range will almost double at times when in the mountains. Every time the range will adjust all the way down either extending or shortening the range. I'm just too chicken to push the limits anymore.