Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security System

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 07:12 PM
Daniel K
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security System

Dear All,

Greetings from newbie here.
I recently imported HD Fatboy from Japan and I have some doubts on security System.
The bike came with no key fobs. And the agent ( Importer ) simply said that security system is option and this bike doesn’t have.
However, I notice the security lamp on ODO lit about 4-5 sec (after I turn on the ignition) and off
After checking on manual, I found instruction to play with PIN code and setup things. As I am curious about this and I try to play with PIN.

As instruction, I turn on ignition, then switch kill switch RUN-OFF-RUN-OFF-RUN-Left-Left.
Then ODO display shown “ENTER PIN” and again Press Right Indicator. The existing PIN is Blank, nothing there.
Long story short, finally I enter new pin successfully. And when I repeat the procedure, now I see my PIN and existing PIN.

I suspect that the original dealer keep fob at somewhere in bike, but I my model doesn’t seem to have much extra space. I checked under the seat, inside head lamp, inside air cleaner housing with the hope of FOB is sticking inside. But there’s none,

my questions are,

(1) Based on my findings, is my bike installed with smart security system?
(2) is it possible that Key Fob is somewhere in Bike?
(3) if I have security system, can I order Key Fob from HD and activate myself?

thanks a lot in advance,
Cheers Mates.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,175 Posts

He could possibly sell the key fob to someone who could then use it to steal the bike. Just saying...

Old 02-18-2019, 07:01 PM
Daniel K
1st Gear

Forget to mention that I can use Bike normally. No problem at all. But I have to lock Ignition switch as the security system couldn't arm.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:31 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel K

(1) Based on my findings, is my bike installed with smart security system?
(2) is it possible that Key Fob is somewhere in Bike?
(3) if I have security system, can I order Key Fob from HD and activate myself?

1) Don't believe it has security.
2) Doubt it.
3) If you have a security system, yes you can buy FOB's, but only the dealership can marry the FOB to the bike.

The turn signal box behind the plastic cover in front of the rear wheel, is changed to one that includes security, you can do a "Password Learn" on it, but will need the FOB's married to the bike, ......... this is what I did.

You don't even mention the year.

Last edited by 1004ron; 02-18-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:47 PM
Daniel K
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 1004ron
1) Don't believe it has security.
2) Doubt it.
3) If you have a security system, yes you can buy FOB's, but only the dealership can marry the FOB to the bike.

The turn signal box behind the plastic cover in front of the rear wheel, is changed to one that includes security, you can do a "Password Learn" on it, but will need the FOB's married to the bike, ......... this is what I did.

You don't even mention the year.
Hi Ron,

The bike is Fatboy 2015. The security indicator and PIN codes make me think there is security system, but disable or key fob is hidden some where?
I’ve learnt that new key fob can be assigned by dealership or with expensive diagnostic tool. The dealer ship is about 400 miles away from me. Too bad.

Cheers!

Old 02-19-2019, 08:59 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel K

Hi Ron,

The bike is Fatboy 2015. The security indicator and PIN codes make me think there is security system, but disable or key fob is hidden some where?
I’ve learnt that new key fob can be assigned by dealership or with expensive diagnostic tool. The dealer ship is about 400 miles away from me. Too bad.

Cheers!
Its really unlikely someone would do a stupid thing like that, but best you take a look at the module to confirm if its a TSM (non-security) or TSSM (security), than keep guessing.

Also you should be able to see the antenna under the seat if its a TSSM.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...s-and-fob.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...t-start-3.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...m-located.html

Last edited by 1004ron; 02-19-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:35 PM
Daniel K
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 1004ron
Its really unlikely someone would do a stupid thing like that, but best you take a look at the module to confirm if its a TSM (non-security) or TSSM (security), than keep guessing.

Also you should be able to see the antenna under the seat if its a TSSM.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...s-and-fob.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...t-start-3.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...m-located.html
Hi Ron,

Some what good news, I check the bike again with On-Off-On-off-On-Left-Left again. And I got 3 flash.
According to the information in your reference link, 3 flash means International Version with Security System installed.
So, I think there is security and and disable somehow. Thanks for your help. Anyway, I still need to get asstance from dealer. .

Cheers!

Old 02-23-2019, 02:56 PM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

If your security was fully enabled then your security light in the dash would be flashing slowly a few seconds after you turn the bike off and continue to do so until you turn the ignition back on with an assigned fob present. Also, if you have a siren as standard, the bike will chirp and the indicators flash when turning ignition on and off with an assigned fob present.
It sounds like your bike does have a BCM with a security system option but rather than it currently being disabled, for which there is no option to do that other than temporarily, it wasn't actually enabled on the bike prior to your purchase.
Call the HD dealer and ask them to do a VIN / frame number search and the details they'll be able to access will confirm for sure if you have a BCM with a security option.

When you first went through the cycling of the ignition to see what the PIN was and saw nothing, by that do you mean 5 dashes?
If yes, then that would suggest the security system, including the PIN part of that system, had not been set up.
By entering your own "new" PIN, I'd imagine that only part of the security system is now set up and the fobs do need to be assigned by a dealer for it to be fully enabled. If you do follow that bit through at any point, make sure they order the correct fobs for your model of BCM, as certainly in the past, certain model markets including Japan had fobs that worked on different frequencies.

Last edited by j_bee; 02-23-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:21 AM
Daniel K
1st Gear

Originally Posted by j_bee
If your security was fully enabled then your security light in the dash would be flashing slowly a few seconds after you turn the bike off and continue to do so until you turn the ignition back on with an assigned fob present. Also, if you have a siren as standard, the bike will chirp and the indicators flash when turning ignition on and off with an assigned fob present.
It sounds like your bike does have a BCM with a security system option but rather than it currently being disabled, for which there is no option to do that other than temporarily, it wasn't actually enabled on the bike prior to your purchase.
Call the HD dealer and ask them to do a VIN / frame number search and the details they'll be able to access will confirm for sure if you have a BCM with a security option.

When you first went through the cycling of the ignition to see what the PIN was and saw nothing, by that do you mean 5 dashes?
If yes, then that would suggest the security system, including the PIN part of that system, had not been set up.
By entering your own "new" PIN, I'd imagine that only part of the security system is now set up and the fobs do need to be assigned by a dealer for it to be fully enabled. If you do follow that bit through at any point, make sure they order the correct fobs for your model of BCM, as certainly in the past, certain model markets including Japan had fobs that worked on different frequencies.

Hi Bee,

Sorry for my late response. When I first enter PIN, I see just blank, no dash at all. However, I sussessfully enter my PIN and it was unchanged till now. Yeah, I agree with you that my security system need to be enable by dealer. Anyway, I still have to go there.

thanks,