Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07's getting a bad rap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007 | 01:55 PM
arsin46
Novice
Default RE: '07's getting a bad rap?

Since the owners manualrecomeneded shift point from 4th to 5th is 45mph., we should be able to do this if we choose to without the clatter and vibration.
We paid for a premium product and we should receive a premium product.

Old 11-16-2007 | 04:58 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

I know this is on page one of three and this horse is about dead but I've got to chime in on this anyway... Referencing the red text below, if you are in 5th gear before 55 mph you are likely lugging it. Hell, I can get to 45 in 1st. At 40 in 5th you have to be lugging it. If not, you're pretty darn close to it. There's going to be noise with that speed and rpm combo. Having said that, I understand there were/are real gear noise related issues reported on many bikes and I'm certain there are many who will tell me they had the RPMs up and still had the noise. But the fact remains, if the rpms are below 2K in any gear the bike isn't too happy and is right on the edge of starting to lug. Certainly 40 mph in 5th is not going to sound good. Its even worse when you try to pull full throttle from there. The RPMs are too low to get any power.

ORIGINAL: 07FLSTC_Navy

My initial problems were with the heat but that was corrected with Stage 1 and synthetics at 1st 1000 miles. Very persistent issue with MOST 2007 owners whether they admit it or not. Very comforting to find out that immediately after buying an expensivenew Harley you have to drop nearly $1k to fix what the factory couldn't. Those who continue to defend Harley and blame the EPA for the new 07 heat problems may shampoo my crotch. Even if there wasn't a heat issue I'd have changed the exhaust just because the new bikes sound likelawnmowers.

5th gear chatter sounds like shiite. I've heard from another guy who said he wasn't having any issues w/5th gear in his 2007. But then I followed him down to the interstate and I could hear it fine- either he had no idea what he was listening to or he was deaf.

5th gear chatter pisses me off and is embarassing - as long as you keep a load on the transmissionfrom 40-55 it's fine.

After spending the money on the Stage 1 - I'm happy with the bike.

Old 11-16-2007 | 05:01 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, here's my disclaimer then. If the manual says we should be able to do it, I agree that it shouldn't sound like that.

But from my own experience, I'm riding my 07 and haven't heard anything excessive in any gear but like my previous post implies, I shift later. I don't go near 6th until I'm at at least 70. Else the RPMs are just too low, regardless of what the manual says.

ORIGINAL: arsin46

Since the owners manualrecomeneded shift point from 4th to 5th is 45mph., we should be able to do this if we choose to without the clatter and vibration.

Old 11-16-2007 | 11:26 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

ORIGINAL: bensonjv

Ok, here's my disclaimer then. If the manual says we should be able to do it, I agree that it shouldn't sound like that.

But from my own experience, I'm riding my 07 and haven't heard anything excessive in any gear but like my previous post implies, I shift later. I don't go near 6th until I'm at at least 70. Else the RPMs are just too low, regardless of what the manual says.

Don't forget that the manual is also written with the EPA's ideas of emissions and fuel economyin mind. So having it "recommend" what most of us would consider short shifting makes a warped kind of sense in that light.
I seriously doubt that the writers, if they actually tried to ride the bike, would really think that anyone but a dumb government bureaucrat in the DOT and EPA would actually pay more than a wits worth of attention to the “book” numbers.
Remember, just because a manual says that you can do something. It doesn't always mean that its all that great an idea.
According to the "manual" you can shift a Z06 Corvette into 5th around 45 too, but having driven one I can say that the Vette doesn’t like that kind of nonsense any more than our bikes do.

Old 11-17-2007 | 12:23 AM
grzly
Road Master

sounds like you got stuck with a heap of *****-I'll do the right thing and take it off your hands for nothing.

Old 11-17-2007 | 01:51 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior

'07 Fat Boy. Only issue that has occured was my idle air valve backing out. Had a dude (service writer...go figure) try and tell my a dyno tune was what my bike needed. well, my ASE and Lexus certs are telling me otherwise. manager got ahold of the bike and found the valve backed out. fixed under warrenty no problems.

Installed all stage 1 components myself. remapped myself with slightly modified precanned map. no issues. sure, Im not getting OPTIMAL performance, but until I can pull $400 bucks out of my butt for a dyno tune, she's running fine.

Changed her fluids yesterday, Mobil 1 V-twin in engine and trans (couldnt fine Mobil 1 gear lube...friggen wally world) and Formula plus in primary. 1 day after, she feels like shes running alot cooler, less noise etc.

As a tech, I know when things get critical and when things are minor. No major critical issues yet.

Very happy with my bike.

Old 11-17-2007 | 05:35 PM
captain m
Road Master

I've had 3 harleys,97fxstc,06streetbob,and the love of my life,07 fxstc.The only problem I had with the 07 was a loose stem nut cover.I change engine oil at 2000 miles, primary and trans at 5000,using regular harleyoils.I've got 10,000 on it and think it's now broken in enough to use thesynthetics in the three holes.
This is one sweet ride my "biker trash brothers andsisters"!!! The only complaint I have is the snow we get up here in the Northeast!!!
Ride safe,
Yer ridin' buddy,
Captain M.
Here lies les more,shot three times with a 44,no les no more.

Old 11-17-2007 | 06:21 PM
kingk9
Banned

I ride the sh*t out of my 07. Ride to work everyday and every weekend. It is noisy and clanky and I love every sound it makes. It runs f*ckin great. I could not be happier. It's not supposed to sound like other motorcycles, it is what it is. Just my opinion.

Old 11-18-2007 | 08:04 PM
MrHd1
Tourer

Early built bikes06 and 07/06. Bad flywheels! Saw one in the shop about a month or so ago and lo' and behold I found out last Friday that mine is one of those. HD has been very gracious about dealing with this when found but they haven't done a blanket recall. If your bike was manufactured in that timeframe you might want to have it checked out.

Old 11-19-2007 | 09:53 AM
spikehyre
Road Master

10k on my 07 Deluxe and not one problem. I would ride it anywhere.....except today its pissing rain....Again.

Quick Reply: '07's getting a bad rap?