Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Plug or Not To Plug (O2 Sensors)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:15 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts
Default To Plug or Not To Plug (O2 Sensors)

OK, after spending a couple of hours here searching through numerous threads on the O2 sensor issue for '07 replacement pipes, I'm more confused now than ever. I see many advocating plugging the bungs, several who have used the sensors and left them disconnected, have read the really usefull thread actually explaining what they do and how they work, discussion regarding potential/probable/certain emissions testing for California and beyondin the near/not-to-distant future/next several years , plug size , etc.

I live in California.
I have an '07 Fat Boy
Iam installingV&H Big Shot Staggered exhaust
Iam installing a SE AC
I am installing a PC III (USB)

Can someone advise me, given the above criteria, whether I should abandon the O2 sensors andjust plug the bungs, or am I better off installing the sensors and leaving them disconnected?

It doesn't look like there's much roomunder the front coverto have the sensor connector AND the eliminator in the same space, although they'd probably cram in?

THANKS in advance - getting ready to tackle these installs tomorrow, and need to go get whatever I need this afternoon.

Roger

Old 07-05-2007, 03:22 PM
07FLSTC_Navy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: To Plug or Not To Plug (O2 Sensors)

Can't help with your question, but recommend spraying some WD-40 around the O2 sensors at least a day before if you're doing the install yourself.

The factory used either a really strong Loctite or freakin' cement on my front O2 sensor and it was a beeotch to remove it - actually had a little stripping of the threads by the time I got it off. Fortunately the Loctite I used did reseal and I don't have any leaks - but I was worried about it.

I asked the dealer and he said they often have to heat up the O2 sensors to get them out without any stripping of the threads.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:35 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior

Thanks - saw that tip before, so I'vesprayed WD-40 a couple of times now. Looks like it's a bit of a challenge to get the right angles on the wrench also, especially for the rear... I thought about waiting until the pipes were off to try to remove, but then would have problems with leverage. Also thought if they were not going to be used, I'd just leave them in the bungs and remove them with the pipes. Just not sure what the best decision is, so hopefully some of the guru's here can help decide.

Thanks again!
Roger

Old 07-05-2007, 04:03 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my BSS I wondered the same thing.... What I should have done was just bought '06 BSS... since the power commander uses the eliminators. And yes, the front one does fit in there with the eliminator. There's actually more room than you think. I got mine to fit no problems.

I pulled mine off after I had already taken the pipes off.... it was a mere case of I screwed up and forgot to ahead of time. Actually it wasn't that bad. I got them lose by rapping the wrench with a hammer.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:55 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior

Cool - thanks for the input. I may just go that route just to be safe then unless I get some solid advice the other way.

Roger

Old 07-05-2007, 06:10 PM
heyrob
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have an '07 FatBoy with a Power Commander. I have Reinhardt pipes, but as far as the O2 sensors are concerned, I'm pretty sure they work the same as the BSSs. I just followed the instructions when I set up the Power Commander to eliminate the O2 sensors, but still screwed them into the new pipes as opposed to plugging the bungs. As far as I know, the O2 sensors are basically just dead now -- doing no harm or good. In any case, it worked fine -- the bike runs great.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:10 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember though tunaman.... if you ever change to a different fuel managment system it may require the O2 sensors.... u may still consider getting the 07' pipes and just leaving the O2 sensors in or plugging them.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:39 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior

Yeah, sounds like the plan. Besides, I ran around this afternoon to Napa, Auto Zone, and Kragen and no one had the plugs... hell, AZ and Kragen didn't even know what I was talking about. Napa had one at the warehouse, but couldn't get it until tomorrow (when I expect to be elbows-deep getting 'er done!). Hopefully they'll come out clean and easy, and I got the anti-seize for reinstallation.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Roger