Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Softail heritage exhaust options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 02:52 AM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

You want longer V&H Long Shots. Not thinking it will be any cooler.
I'm running Straight Shots on a '08 & she is hot.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:54 AM
hagger
Banned

Thinking about a oil cooler.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:56 AM
hagger
Banned

I don't carry bags.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:59 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 895 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Itango2
Thanks 04. I'm surprised at how many exhaust systems are dumping the forward pipe out RIGHT AT the passengers foot peg. Mine is like that and the passenger gets a foot BBQ. And thanks as well for the bag links, I see it needing to happen. Are you sure Xarans are a big shot staggered? Cant seem to find anything where the forward pipe extends that far.
Itango2, yes those are Big Shots Staggered on XARAN's ride, here's the V&H link for your 07.
https://products.vanceandhines.com/store/harley/17939/
I had the same pipes on my Dyna with an Arlene Ness Big Sucker AC, and Stage 1 from Harley. The bike ran smooth and never hot. I don't know whose pipes are on your bike but they certainly are blue and seems as tho she runs hot, my GF has never complained about heat on my Heritage with the pipe dumping at the foot board. Consider looking at the Ness Big Sucker, new pipes and a tuner this year.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Itango2
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
Itango2, yes those are Big Shots Staggered on XARAN's ride, here's the V&H link for your 07.
https://products.vanceandhines.com/store/harley/17939/
I had the same pipes on my Dyna with an Arlene Ness Big Sucker AC, and Stage 1 from Harley. The bike ran smooth and never hot. I don't know whose pipes are on your bike but they certainly are blue and seems as tho she runs hot, my GF has never complained about heat on my Heritage with the pipe dumping at the foot board. Consider looking at the Ness Big Sucker, new pipes and a tuner this year.
Thanks again 04. Your pick confirms a couple things. Even though we have different bags you can see a greater clearance in the upper pipe to the bag compared to mine. The staggereds also have a cover which keeps things looking good but apparently also acts as a heatsink reducing the radiant heat. Several comments above indicated the temp of the pipes was not bad.

Took a look at my slip ons last night and can find no manufacturer info on them. Probably some overseas Ebay import.

Just my luck a pair of long shots went through the marketplace here about 3 weeks ago. .

On the topic of running hot, It does seem to be running rich at first start And pops back when letting off throttle after warm and down the road (:been a mechanic for 40 years ). Is there any way I can tell if it's out of tune, been tweaked, modified? Short of pulling the plugs I'm not sure what you guys do to check an injected bike.

Thanks to all

Last edited by Itango2; 02-03-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-03-2019, 10:09 AM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain
Received 377 Likes on 199 Posts

I know it's a '14 but I have big shot staggered and picked them over the long shots for ease of rear wheel cleaning and wheel removal. I will add that V&H has 360* heat shields which helps tremendously with passenger comfort. Girlfriend confirms this. Just thought I'd share since I was down here dusting her off with cold Sunday morning beer. Nice ride man

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Softail heritage exhaust options?-20190203_095833.jpg   2007 Softail heritage exhaust options?-20190203_095843.jpg  
Old 02-03-2019, 10:38 AM
Itango2
5th Gear

Originally Posted by FLSTC-Dave
I know it's a '14 but I have big shot staggered and picked them over the long shots for ease of rear wheel cleaning and wheel removal. I will add that V&H has 360* heat shields which helps tremendously with passenger comfort. Girlfriend confirms this. Just thought I'd share since I was down here dusting her off with cold Sunday morning beer. Nice ride man
That makes good sense. Just replaced the rear tire and it was not too bad having to only take of the one slip on. Short shots it is.

Have received compliments on my softail and am grateful to all. It's been decades in the making. The story...

Had been watching an Ebay auction from a place in northern California for a couple years the sells mostly bikes. I'm in the Portland Or area so transportation would not be a big issue. In that time I got a feeling for prices on something like the softail (I'm an old guy so an old looking bike seemed appropriate. I also like all the shiny stuff ;-) As anybody knows who buys on Ebay, something popular goes nuts in the last couple minutes. I bit the bullet and bid about $1100 over the then high bid in the last two minutes and watched the seconds count down. My eyes got larger, heart started beating faster, stomach went nuts, the last few seconds ticked away and to my total amazement the other people who were bidding on it were asleep or something and there was not another bid other than mine. I picked it up for $5225 last April.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:49 AM
Shane T
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I believe Vance and Hines makes : Big Shot Longs
Big Shots Shorts
Big Shots Staggered

I don't think you wand Shorts. Look at the Staggered.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:10 PM
Itango2
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Shane T
I believe Vance and Hines makes : Big Shot Longs
Big Shots Shorts
Big Shots Staggered

I don't think you wand Shorts. Look at the Staggered.

That's where I'm at I like the fact they both end about the same place.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:30 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 895 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Itango2
Thanks again 04. Your pick confirms a couple things. Even though we have different bags you can see a greater clearance in the upper pipe to the bag compared to mine. The staggereds also have a cover which keeps things looking good but apparently also acts as a heatsink reducing the radiant heat. Several comments above indicated the temp of the pipes was not bad.

Took a look at my slip ons last night and can find no manufacturer info on them. Probably some overseas Ebay import.

Just my luck a pair of long shots went through the marketplace here about 3 weeks ago. .

On the topic of running hot, It does seem to be running rich at first start And pops back when letting off throttle after warm and down the road (:been a mechanic for 40 years ). Is there any way I can tell if it's out of tune, been tweaked, modified? Short of pulling the plugs I'm not sure what you guys do to check an injected bike.

Thanks to all
Itango2, lets not get confused on the shots line from V&H, the style on my ole Dyna were Big Shots Staggered (last post , bike in the garage), the pipes on my Heritage (above) are Straight Shot slip ons, which will be replaced this year with a full exhaust. No heat complaints from the GF. I like them and the price is right too, check out https://www.fuelmotousa.com for package deals, cheapest prices I've found.
https://products.vanceandhines.com/s...roduct=exhaust Heres the pipes for your year Heritage. I'm not a mechanic, but I would recommend a Tuner. I'm going DnyoJet this year.

Quick Reply: 2007 Softail heritage exhaust options?