Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer/speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 06:43 AM
heyhey255
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer/speedometer not working

I had ape hangers and forward controls installed on my 96 softail custom. On the way home, the odometer went blank, speedometer stayed at zero, and turn signals would not cancel. A couple more miles and all returned to normal. Problem developed again and again returned to normal periodically after that. Eventually, it went out and never returned. I called the place and they said it wouldn't have been anything they did. Probably sensor cable or bad speedometer. I ordered a speedo sensor cable and when I plugged it in I saw no change. Digital odometer is still blank and speedo stays at zero. I checked all fuses and appear to have proper voltage at the speedo. I'm thinking the speedometer went bad, but the intermittent working before total failure makes me think a loose connection. Any ideas? Bike only has 20,000 miles on it.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:47 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,334 Likes on 3,182 Posts

I don't believe in coincidence so check the last thing you touched.
Also check the plug on the back of the speedometer.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:05 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Tank went on and off and either slices were made or terminal pins were inserted if a new harness was used. Intermittent issue sounds like bad connections. As RANGER stated Speedo connection and work back to main wiring harnesses.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:15 PM
heyhey255
4th Gear
Default Odometer problem

Originally Posted by TSheff
Tank went on and off and either slices were made or terminal pins were inserted if a new harness was used. Intermittent issue sounds like bad connections. As RANGER stated Speedo connection and work back to main wiring harnesses.
I've checked connections and even have voltage to speedometer. The light bulbs on speedo have power as well as all dummy lights. I thought bad speedo sensor, but after new one didnt fix it, I remembered an old roadking I had. Replacing the speed sensor on that bike fixed it. That had all the same symptoms except the odometer had a reading. It just wouldn't advance. Could 8t possibly be in the handle bar wiring. It seems odd that I would have voltage but no reading.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:37 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

The lights and the readout are powered from different places. Check the wiring schematic and follow the wiring back.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:55 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 860 Likes on 650 Posts

I am working with a similar problem today.
1998 Road King Classic, Fuel Injection EVO. about 50,000 miles..original owner.
Your 1996 and my 1998 would be a similar speedometer and manufacturer as both should be the earlier hard wire speedometers and not plug and play.
I believe they are Harley branded Faria products.
Bike was running fine and continued to run.
All of a sudden noticed NO speedometer needle movement, NO odometer at all/no numbers, NO Horn, NO Brake Light, NO Blinkers, NO Hazard Lights.
No lights on Dash, No back light of speedometer.
Head light and rear running light OK.
The passing lamps were non-functional also but they have a jumper wire (to run on high beam also) so they run on acc. circuit.
The ACCY blue 15 amp fuse was blown.
Rather odd.
Nothing added to this bike in a long time (years).
Changed that ACCY blue 15 amp fuse and all functions returned except NO speedometer and NO odometer numbers.
The other fuses are fine.
I looked at schematics and checked the wires.
Obviously the signals will not cancel since speedometer is not registering.
The speed sensor had never been cleaned and had a lot of metal hairs..it was covered with metal hairs..about half a small gumball...again it had a lot of metal hair stuff on sensor.
Bike gets fluids changed at low miles and is well maintained but that sensor was never cleaned.
This is a very nice bike and everybody is amazed at condition..it looks very fresh and new in every way.
No codes in speedometer.
This is the older Harley factory speedometer with LCD odometer but it is NOT plug and play..is hardwired with 12 wires on back .
To me it seems like speedometer lighting is being powered but speedometer itself is not being powered.
Running the book of diagnostics at it but nearing end.
Could it be speedometer or speed sensor?
Right now i am thinking the 3 wire speed sensor must some how feed speedometer 12+ power and pulse it too and somehow the third wire does something...but my knowledge ends at that point.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:32 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Doesn't the digital speedo remember mileage, like odometer reading? This means it gets
constant power for the memory (like your car radio) unless the memory is in the ECM.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:25 AM
heyhey255
4th Gear
Default Odometer problem

Im. Thanks for the input. Yes, mine is hard wired, not plug and play. I did not experience any fuses blown. Still have horn, brake lights, etc. I'm at the same spot as you though with no odometer reading and no speedometer. I have 12v on both the o/w and g/w connected to speedo.My troubleshooting stops at the step for checking for 12v on red wire in connector from speedometer to sensor. I have 0 volts. That wire leads directly into speedometer and lands on the circuit board. My only thoughts now are a fried circuit board. Stumped!

Old 01-07-2019, 07:27 AM
heyhey255
4th Gear
Default Odometer problem

And, as I said, I have a new sensor. But if that red wire is not hot, I guess the sensor just wont get power.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:30 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 860 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Doesn't the digital speedo remember mileage, like odometer reading? This means it gets
constant power for the memory (like your car radio) unless the memory is in the ECM.
Electronic speedometer with Needle.
Older speedometers store mileage in speedometer gauge not ECM .
Battery can be removed but mileage stays in the unit and the LCD odometer will display once power is restored.

Quick Reply: Odometer/speedometer not working