Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Till the end of the month

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018 | 04:09 AM
missedem
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Till the end of the month

I've got a 2008 hd softail Crossbones I bought an aftermarket warranty that turned out not to be worth a bucket of ****. I have about 2 1/2 weeks to buy an HD warranty before the 10 yr limitation on age kicks in and I won't be able to get a warranty after. I am disabled and can't wrench on the bike anymore. I know if the engine were to go or the transmission the 1600 would be a drop in the bucket. What are your thoughts on this. Roll and hope or cover my butt. This year has been physically and mentally disasterous for me. I could lose the bike by not being able to afford a repair. Not sure I can survive the 1600:dollar hit either.

Old 12-10-2018 | 05:26 AM
jkinner
Road Captain

How long will it go for 1600.00, any deductible? Have you kept up on the service.

Old 12-10-2018 | 11:34 AM
Warrant
Road Warrior

I would not buy an extended service plan on a 10 year old anything. If nothing major has happened yet it isn't going to.
Regular preventive maintenance is all you need and $1600 will more than cover a lifetime of that.

Old 12-14-2018 | 05:46 PM
KrakkyDoo
Road Captain

I believe you have a whole additional year to buy the HD ESP.

HD ESP can be sold on bikes 12 calendar years or less old with less than 75k miles. Currently model year 2007 is the oldest available and on January 1st it will be 2008. To be sure, I just ran a 2007 VIN through my system and rates for the ESP showed up so that bike qualifies for the coverage. I also ran a 2006 VIN and no rates show for that model year.

Last edited by KrakkyDoo; 12-14-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2018 | 01:09 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by missedem
I've got a 2008 hd softail Crossbones I bought an aftermarket warranty that turned out not to be worth a bucket of ****. I have about 2 1/2 weeks to buy an HD warranty before the 10 yr limitation on age kicks in and I won't be able to get a warranty after. I am disabled and can't wrench on the bike anymore. I know if the engine were to go or the transmission the 1600 would be a drop in the bucket. What are your thoughts on this. Roll and hope or cover my butt. This year has been physically and mentally disasterous for me. I could lose the bike by not being able to afford a repair. Not sure I can survive the 1600:dollar hit either.
Hey Rick,

I would talk to Jim at Boardtracker HD. He has always treated me well.

Unfortunately, I would not own a EFI Twin Cam without a warranty....just my experience with putting on a lot of miles.

Jim Palmer
Phone: 608-314-1722

Old 12-18-2018 | 09:32 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by missedem

I love my Harleys.... been riding an HD bike since 1978, currently have three, and although money can get tight from time to time, I can afford them.

My point is, it sounds like you have some major life challenges going on... As much as I love my Harleys, I would not keep them if I could not afford the costs of maintenance or an unexpected repair.... If your budget is that tight, you may need to re-evaluate your priorities.... at least for now...

One of the hardest things a real bike rider can do is give up his bike, even if only for a few years.... Only you know the actually depth of your current challenges, and how bad the bike could hurt your current situation... I offer this option only as food for thought...

I wish you the best of luck working through your challenges.....

Old 12-18-2018 | 10:06 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
I love my Harleys.... been riding an HD bike since 1978, currently have three, and although money can get tight from time to time, I can afford them.

My point is, it sounds like you have some major life challenges going on... As much as I love my Harleys, I would not keep them if I could not afford the costs of maintenance or an unexpected repair.... If your budget is that tight, you may need to re-evaluate your priorities.... at least for now...

One of the hardest things a real bike rider can do is give up his bike, even if only for a few years.... Only you know the actually depth of your current challenges, and how bad the bike could hurt your current situation... I offer this option only as food for thought...

I wish you the best of luck working through your challenges.....

Well said.

As for the warranty question, I’d skip it, especially if it’s a stretch. Most of the bikes I’ve owned have exceeded their warranty and been fine forever after. If something does take a crap a warranty might not cover it anyway AND you might be in a better place to deal with it. Take care of yourself and good luck.

Last edited by Thingfish; 12-18-2018 at 10:12 AM.