Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing the handle bar with out replacing the cables

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018 | 06:59 AM
abdulrahman
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Just another Millennial that wants others to do the work and thinking for them. And POOF He's gone.
I’m not gone, i didn’t have the time to do it since I don’t have the right tools on me and i was busy changing the two tires at the stealership .. it did cost me 880$ for the tires onle so you can imagine how much for the handlebars.. that’s why I’m asking if anybody did do it because the dealership here is beyond bad and he will do anything that will charg me more

Last edited by abdulrahman; 12-06-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-06-2018 | 07:02 AM
abdulrahman
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Architect
The wires from the factory generally have additional slack so you can make minor modifications without changing everything. The other issue is your Hollywood bars are probably wide, so if you go to a higher bar but narrow you may be all good. We changed the stock bars on my brother-in-laws Fatboy, put the factory mini apes from my Wide Glide on the bike, nothing needed to be changed, did it in 20 minutes. Again because we went from low and wide to tall and narrow. Good luck.
thank you very much dude, this the kind of replay will help me the most but i have one question.. is mini apes 12in ? And did he have trouble with wires when he do u-turns ?

Old 12-06-2018 | 08:31 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I’m not sure I see how any set of bars could be changed in 20 minutes, unless the wires are run externally, then sure. That said, if the 2014 softails used the smaller new canbus connectors, and no TBW, then its only the left and right control packs that need to be pulled, and those connectors can be left on. Easiest way is to get some thin chain and tie some paracord-like cord to one end. Then gravity can be used to slide the chain through the bar to the opening at the end. Once it’s pulled through to the cord, just tape the control wire to the cord. I use electrical tape. I found using electrical cable pull lube makes a huge difference in sliding the cables through the bars. If you can find this (or similar) it’s well worth the cost. Just slather it on the cable after you’ve taped it to the pull cord and it dries leaving no harmful residue. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WTN3I0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WTN3I0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck

Old 12-06-2018 | 09:42 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

8"-10" is considered MINI.
But some consider 12" MINI.
I had 10" and was going to go to 12" but in a different style.
Once they arrived and I held then in place I realized going the extra inch was a waist of time, so I went to 14".
I did internal wiring and had to extend the wiring plus new cables.
Did it myself, and I enjoy it. The bars were $130, wiring extension kit was $40, crimp tool was $35, crimps were $10, cables were $90.
Then there's the misc. stuff, soldier, heat shrink, Transmission fluid, exhaust gaskets.
But I got away cheap doing it myself. With not having all the parts and having to order and wait for parts to come in, it took me 2 weeks start to finish.

Old 12-06-2018 | 01:23 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mchad
I’m not sure I see how any set of bars could be changed in 20 minutes, unless the wires are run externally, then sure. That said, if the 2014 softails used the smaller new canbus connectors, and no TBW, then its only the left and right control packs that need to be pulled, and those connectors can be left on. Easiest way is to get some thin chain and tie some paracord-like cord to one end. Then gravity can be used to slide the chain through the bar to the opening at the end. Once it’s pulled through to the cord, just tape the control wire to the cord. I use electrical tape. I found using electrical cable pull lube makes a huge difference in sliding the cables through the bars. If you can find this (or similar) it’s well worth the cost. Just slather it on the cable after you’ve taped it to the pull cord and it dries leaving no harmful residue. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck
Yup, all external as it came from the factory. Slipped the controls off of each side, slid them right on the new(old) bars. With two men, real quick swap. And as noted, we got lucky and everything reached just fine. Talking about a 2003 Fattie, external everything.

Old 12-06-2018 | 01:24 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by abdulrahman

thank you very much dude, this the kind of replay will help me the most but i have one question.. is mini apes 12in ? And did he have trouble with wires when he do u-turns ?
Nope, all the same when done

Old 12-06-2018 | 01:27 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Architect
Yup, all external as it came from the factory. Slipped the controls off of each side, slid them right on the new(old) bars. With two men, real quick swap. And as noted, we got lucky and everything reached just fine. Talking about a 2003 Fattie, external everything.
The good old days!