Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much should I lower the front?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:21 AM
firebuckeye
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should I lower the front?

I searched and read every post containg "lowered Softail" What I am failling to find out is how low to go in front. I have already lowered the rear about 1 1/2" and it rides good 2 up. I am looking at the progressive front lowering kit and it says it can be installed for either 2" or 1 1/4" inch lower. I was thinking the 1 1/4" route but then thought if I ever wanted more I would have to pay labor again to do it. If I start with 2" lowered its already there. Also what would happen if I left it 2" lowered in front and brought the rear back up some for a couple day trip? Would this be unsafe and ridiculous? I would appreciate some info on this from those of you that can help. And maybe just let me know how low you have went in the front. Thanks, hopefully I explained this well enough.....

Old 07-03-2007, 10:11 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 516 Likes on 359 Posts
Default RE: How much should I lower the front?

Just DON'T use the Harley kit. Junk junk junk!! Just slight pressure on the frt brake and a bump . . . It'll bottom out. And I ride solo (180 lb)
White Bros or Prog/susp. 2" might be too low.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:25 PM
firebuckeye
Advanced

Yeah I was just looking at bike and was thinking 2" may be to low. I guess 1 1/4" wouldnt be too bad. I definately was looking at the progressive kit.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:01 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Progressive kit and lowered it 2" in the front and back. The back bottoms out more than it used to, but not as often as I thought it would. The front never bottoms out, but I only ride solo. The front doesn't seem to be any different than before as far as performance and handling is concerned. But that could be because I lowered the front and back equally. I am not a bike geometry expert, but from what I understand, I don't think you want to lower the front more than the back.

One other thing...when I was researching lowering kits I called Progressive and spoke to a tech. He said the lowering kit is either 1" or 2", even though all their marketing material says 1 1/4" or 2". Hope that helps.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-03-2007, 02:09 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

never more than the rear.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:34 PM
firebuckeye
Advanced

Sounds good, so it appears I best stick with 1", that way I can keep the rear at an 1" and not be higher than the front. I ordered the parts and scheduled to be installed in a few weeks. I hope I dont regret it. I am doing it solely for looks....

Old 07-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 inch won't change the looks...in my opinion....but I lean towards the slammed look.

Mine's 2 inches if not 2.5 inches...I can't remember....it's an Arlen Ness kit.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:49 PM
firebuckeye
Advanced

Thanks evryone so far. I understand keeping the rear lower or equal to front, but I noticed some kits say 2" front and 1 1/2" rear lowered. 1 1/2" is about the lowest I wouls go rear, so could I go 2" in front? I am not trying to ask a question already answered, I just was thinking of Hammer02 post in saying 1" may not even be noticeable. Here a lonk to the kit that has a front lowered more than rear.... Arlen Ness.
http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/12/209/3895076

Thanks
Brad

Old 07-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: firebuckeye

Thanks evryone so far. I understand keeping the rear lower or equal to front, but I noticed some kits say 2" front and 1 1/2" rear lowered. 1 1/2" is about the lowest I wouls go rear, so could I go 2" in front? I am not trying to ask a question already answered, I just was thinking of Hammer02 post in saying 1" may not even be noticeable. Here a lonk to the kit that has a front lowered more than rear.... Arlen Ness.
http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/12/209/3895076

Thanks
Brad
That's the exact kit that I used on my bike originally. I have since changed the rear to an air ride. The pic in my sig is indicative of what that Arlen Ness kit would look like on the rear. My fender would come down right to the top of the rim and you can see that the front is still higher than the rear. You aren't starting with a dead level bike to begin with so 2 1/2 in the front and 1 1/2 in the rear doesn't mean you will end up higher in the back than the front.

Make sense?

Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 PM
firebuckeye
Advanced

Yes it does make sense, so now the question is how would I go about measuring my bike to see if I can go 2" in front and only 1 to 1 1/2 in the rear and be level or lower in rear? Is this just a trial and error thing and kind of sight judge it ormaybe the frame would be a good place to get actual measurements.... does this make sence?

Quick Reply: How much should I lower the front?