Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air shocks for a softail worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007 | 12:36 AM
Old No7
Novice
Default RE: Air shocks for a softail worth it?

the technology we use has been around for 5 years in the form of the platnium, which we getroyalities from. What we have done is integrate the tecnology so that you dont have all those air lines and fittings. The bleed feed is the key to the adjusable suspension and the sas does not have that, if i am wrong id like to be educated about the sas. What is the goal of your questioning? are you trying to determine which softail air suspension is best.? Which ones have you installed or ridden? HMMMM?

Old 07-22-2007 | 01:58 AM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

Legend, Platnium, Air Tail, HI-LO, Tricky, I have been doing this a while....dont get your panties in a wad....just asking.....and I belong to another forum and they claim they are the best........I talk to Mike about every other week at Platnium....so take a big deep breath.....just trying get through both sides of the sales pitch...and figure out which to reccomend to my customers.......HMMMM

Old 07-22-2007 | 02:27 AM
PhantomMaxx
Tourer

Shooter, I like your questioning. I think your asking the right questions and your experience with other brands is what us potential buyers would like to know more about. I've be researching Air-Suspension systems for some time and can't really decide.

Aaron from CCCS wrote back to me about their SAS, this is what he said: "the ride firmness is controlled at ride height. once the bike stops "lifting" you are simply pressurizing the chambers, more pressure = firmer ride, dump some air out & the ride softens. simple."

Doesn't sound like the SAS will adjust firmness anywhere but fully extended. What if I want it slammed and firm or stock height and super soft. But it sounds like a bleed & feed system can adjust firmness at any height.

Old 07-22-2007 | 09:01 AM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

I don't know about anyone else....but so far I don't think I'd buy a damn thing from #7.

Old 07-22-2007 | 12:20 PM
Old No7
Novice

You are concerened for your customers. Thats a good thing. Safty is paramont when it comes to suspension.If you have the experience that it sounds like you doyou will know that air rides can fail or be destroyed by bad roads In fact I have seen stock shocks destroyed by coming in contact with uneven roads.Do you know the wall thickness of the bore on these air sustems.? The shotgunshock is constructed of1/4 in wall thickness and is 6061t6 billet. You can hit the shotgunshock with a sledgehammer and not deform the bore. Another concern in air systems is the possibility of an air line bursting and the ride loosing altitude immeadiatly. The shotgunshock has the air fully enclosed inside the body, the air lines and fittings are not part of the workig suspension, they only tranfer air into the unit. Shooter, is it safe to have working pressure in the lines and fittings as the suspension is actuating? With the shotgunshock, the air line can be removed and the suspension stays the same. What happens to the suspension when the line is removed on these other systems? JD

Old 07-23-2007 | 11:14 PM
Old No7
Novice

You are right, the bleed feed system allows you to adjust the suspension at any ride height. The shotgun shock is the ultimate bleed feed in that the four solnoids are built into the body of the unit so that there are no external lines or fittings. The air comes from the compressor and is then directly injected into the front or rear chamber of the unit. The ride is great even slamed and the unit is both dependable and durable. We offer a five year warranty when you purchase directly from the factory. I can offer you a discounted price for a short time as we are soon to sign some distribution contracts. If you have any questions or you want the factory direct discount call JD at 3233594914. Chek us out at www.shotgunshock.com click about us to learn how this patent pending sysem was developed.

Old 07-23-2007 | 11:26 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd still like a picture of the shock mounted ..where this custom trans drain banjo fitting is.. specifically..

that other shock mentioned here has a lot more pictures than the shotgun site.. might sell better just because of that reason.

So what do you say, can you get us some pictures? or at least more on the shotgun site?

Old 07-23-2007 | 11:35 PM
Old No7
Novice

There are some more pictures at www.myspace/shotgunshock and i am working on some pictures for this profile and on the web site. Keep in mind that this product takes lots of labor to machine and assembel. It is 100% USA made right here in southern california. The banjo bolt is simple,the drain plug from the trans is removed and the bano takes its place the oil flows into the banjo and is routed to a drain line. Thanks for your interest. JD

Old 07-24-2007 | 09:45 AM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

# 7......just a sales tip...take it or leave it.......your choice......but there is a way better way to educate your potential customers than be so damn defensive....and to answer your questions...yes I have had about every shock you can think of at one time or another torn apart. Ease up my brother.....I am just asking questions that my customers are going to ask me.......

Old 07-24-2007 | 11:34 AM
Old No7
Novice

Thanks for the advice. I am trying to educate my prospective customers also.I was attempting to engage you in a conversation focusing on the technical differances of the available units.This is a critical safty and durability issue.What are the differancesbetween the shotgunshock and other air systems. You never answered the question regarding wall thickness.How about the risk of air lines bursting or fittings leaking. How many air lines do the systems with bleed feed have? How durable are these systems? What type of warranty do they offer and do they stand by there warranty? How stable are these companies? Shotgunshock is a product of Goldenstate Custom Cycles, we have been in the motorcycle industry for over 30 years. Our warranty is for 5 years and we claim that our product will last a lifetime since it is fully rebuilable by replacing the o rings. The unit is constructed of 6061 t6 billet, with the bores precision honed to within a half a thousand. Then we hard anodize the complete unit to insure that the bore wont wear and the solnoid pockets will be resistantto coerosion.In short the shotgunshock performs better than a stock shock or any other air system, is highly safe and durable, easy to install. The shotgunshock is also a better value than a stock shock or other air ride because it will last as long as the bike the unit is completel rebuildable.I thank you foryour continuing contribution to this analysis of the softail air ride industry. JD

Quick Reply: Air shocks for a softail worth it?