Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air shocks for a softail worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007 | 01:25 AM
Bluerose
Default RE: Air shocks for a softail worth it?

ORIGINAL: aliandray

BLUEROSE
There is a link to progressive 422 discussion in this forum here. I am going to buy an FXSTC next year and am already thinking about mods like this. The 422's seem to get a thumbs up.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1490374/tm.htm
Good thread ...Thanks!

Old 07-21-2007 | 04:43 PM
mori55
Tourer

I just put the AIRFX suspension on my Deluxe. All i can say is WOW what a difference like riding on a cloud . Very easy install, took a couple of hrs.Don't have to worry about setting rebound, as it does it automatically. I had my doubts about that , but it works fine. Just adst for heght or firmness and ride.
http://www.airsystemsengineering.com/airfx/fxa1002.php

Old 07-21-2007 | 06:44 PM
ENZOTHEBAKER
Tourer

I just installed the Legend system on my Springer. I dont know why I didnt put it on the first day out of the shop--the ride is so much better than stock. Now, I knew all this as my Deluxe has one, but I forgot how good it really is untill not riding with one for a while. If one can handle the expense, I think the softail has to have air--mho

Old 07-21-2007 | 07:11 PM
Old No7
Novice

How do you adjust the rebound on this system and can you adjust rebound at any riden height. is the rebound self adjusting or is there a switch for rebound control? This question is in regard to the air fx

Old 07-21-2007 | 07:21 PM
Old No7
Novice

Enzo, does the legend ride the same at any ride height?

Old 07-21-2007 | 07:25 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

OLD NO7 how is your system different than the SAS system, just curious?

Old 07-21-2007 | 07:49 PM
Old No7
Novice

Dam Im glad you asked. Our system looks similar to the sas system, thats because they copied our external looks. but thats where the similarity ends. Both systems are a unibody design, but ours has control for both height and rebouind with compressed air. The shotgunshock has 4 internal electo mechanical solnoids creating a feed bleed system with direct air injection.So we can raise the bike with compressed air and control rebound with compressed air. Check out www.shotgunshock.com and you will see that we have only one air line from the external compressot to the unit. Sas has the compressor internally, which limits the amount of travel and also the volume of the system. We find no need to have the compressor internal, since we have developed a trick bracket to mount the compressor under the trans case on 2000 and up softails.Our system will actually have 7 in of travel and even when the bike is slamed there is still enough air in the system to give a better than stock ride. the shotgunshock rides better than stock at any ride height and it raises higer than stock and will lower to the mechanical stops on the bike. The systyems are both similar in that the shotgunshock does not use the air line as part of the suspension. Once air is transfed into the system it is checked in and will not leak or bleed off. There is no possibility of the air line bursting, no other sysem besides shotgun and sas can claim that. The people at sas are friends but there system is mainly for show bikes the shotgunshock is safe, and and allows the rider of a softail to get the full use out of the suspension since it will perform at any ride height. allright, that was hard work since i cant type fast, i need to go watch the fight Later JD

Old 07-21-2007 | 08:15 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

hmmmmm

Old 07-21-2007 | 10:49 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

Whatcha thinking?

Old 07-21-2007 | 11:58 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

I get a different story from SAS, reserving judgemnet on both till they get some time on them...jury stillfor with me

Quick Reply: Air shocks for a softail worth it?