Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air shocks for a softail worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007 | 11:23 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: Air shocks for a softail worth it?

I've been looking for some reviews on the progressive shocks.....I see the difference in price from the air tails to the regular is about $300. Only my daughter gets on the back and she is 100 lbs wet. so I won't need to adjust too often once I get them set.

Hubby seems to have a concern about blowing the air shocks with too much air? Some thing he heard was common...I have no idea.

Old 07-13-2007 | 12:08 AM
RiggidyRaw
Tourer

you can't blow the air shocks up too much. They will just stop pummping. You' know when you have too much or not enough, unless your a bonehead who likes to look for the limits.(asking for trouble) Only problem I've had out of mines are blowing a fuse. Wouldn't trade em for nothing (legends's)

Old 07-15-2007 | 12:36 PM
Bluerose

I would think they have a limiter of some sort...

Bought a shock wrench yesterday...gonna do some adjusting today.

Old 07-15-2007 | 03:05 PM
Old No7
Novice

The shocks cant blow, but air lines have blown occasionally. A bigger problum would be air leaking from the fitting. Check out the shotgunshock at www.shotgunshock.com. this product is 100 per cent made in USA while the progressives are made in Korea, check it out. The shotgunshock will not leak because the air line is not part of the suspension, the line only transfers air into the shock and the the air is sealed. All other air rides use the air lines as part of the suspension, causing the lines to fatigue and eventually wear and fail.

Old 07-15-2007 | 09:29 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JohnK/Pa

I think the touring suspension alows a greater amount of movement than a softail does, but a bumpy road is a bumpy road. Air ride just replaces the springs to carry the weight, it's the shocks that you need to look at. I would talk to someone that knows about the shocks to see if there is any thing that could be done about using different shock rates to smooth out the ride. Air shocks basicly allow you to add or subtract from the weight rating just by using different air pressure instead of adjusting the springs.
Exactly.
Tom

Old 07-16-2007 | 12:28 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

If you change the shocks would you be able to carry a bigger load? What is the Softail Carrying capacity? I think it is quite low. And with gear and stuff and a passengar I have bottomed out the suspension. My Deluxe is plenty comfortable but I would prefer not to bottom out the suspension.

Old 07-16-2007 | 01:03 AM
Bluerose

I've hit my frame with a light passenger (speed bumps) but usually don't hit bottom too often.

Adjusting the stock shocks? Trying it. My shocks were all the way in...gonna try one turn out according to the infoI got from another thread.

Old 07-19-2007 | 02:33 PM
Old No7
Novice

okay the suspension is killing me, did you adjust your shocks with your new tool.? did anything reult besides oily hands and brused knuckles?

Old 07-19-2007 | 02:51 PM
aliandray
Cruiser

BLUEROSE
There is a link to progressive 422 discussion in this forum here. I am going to buy an FXSTC next year and am already thinking about mods like this. The 422's seem to get a thumbs up.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1490374/tm.htm

Old 07-20-2007 | 01:11 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Old No7

okay the suspension is killing me, did you adjust your shocks with your new tool.? did anything reult besides oily hands and brused knuckles?
Well.....I found that my shocks were as soft as they can get there was nothing left to go "IN". I tried turning them 2 full turnsOUT and found they were a bit stiff...then hubby got the grand idea of putting them a full 4 turns out....felt like I could feel every little bump in the road.

I looked at www.fatbillscustoms.comas recommended in a different thread and decided I should probably go for just 1 full turn out based on the weight with what normally carry to work. Should help with my daughter on too. I just started riding that way today and I'm coming from 4 full turns out so it feels soft Give me a couple of days to see how I feel about the change.

Is it better? yeah a bit but still feeling it out.

Oh hubby had to help...I crawled down there and didn't have enough umph to loosen the nuts

Quick Reply: Air shocks for a softail worth it?