Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air shocks for a softail worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007 | 08:52 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Default RE: Air shocks for a softail worth it?

Wow, nice post! Sounds like good advice except that Mustang seat costs more than my used Pan Head Sportster in 1970.

Old 07-09-2007 | 11:15 PM
PaFatboy
Tourer

That about sums up the arguing. Dang picture didn't show up. DUH!

Old 07-10-2007 | 06:34 AM
pitbulldog
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: mori55

Go on ebay and get a Heritage seat, thats what i did with my Deluxe and it solved most of my problems. Plus you can get em cheap on ebay and if you don't like re ebay it.
The '01 Heritage seat made a huge difference on my Springer Classic. The stock seat was unbearable for anything over 50 miles. The Heritage seat with the low backrest has worked great for me.

Old 07-10-2007 | 05:04 PM
Old No7
Novice

Hold on there partner , I thought we were talking about suspension. When did a seat become part of the suspension? Why does Harley design a ft thick seat, uglier than Tammy Fe's couch. Could it be that stock softail shocks dont work right? Those seats are cheap on ebay because most bikers find no value in them. Why customize your bike and then put a couch on it. Regards JD

Old 07-11-2007 | 12:40 AM
Bluerose

Had a discussion over ata dealer with a couple of parts guys, a few mechanics, and a sales guy (it was lunch time and we were shooting the breeze since they didn't have the shock wrench I went in to get.

The outcome of the conversation wasa recommendation for progressives over air.

I'm still researching....wish I knew someone close with air and progressive so I could take test rides[&:]

Old 07-11-2007 | 04:42 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

Why did they think that?

Old 07-11-2007 | 04:56 PM
Bluerose

Just a general consensis that you would get more bang for your buck spending $300 - $400 over the $900 - $1800 for air shocks.

Old 07-11-2007 | 06:23 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

They are cheaper....I agree with them there. I'd be curious if either of these guys actually had a bike with an air ride suspension on it.

Old 07-11-2007 | 06:40 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

...The outcome of the conversation was a recommendation for progressives over air.
[&:]
I had 2 service departments tell me the same thing - Progressive Shocks are exceptional, in their opinion and much preferred over air (which they also sell).

Old 07-11-2007 | 06:50 PM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master

I've got the Progressive Airtail.Originally purchased for the "cool" factor of being able to slam it when I wanted.Turns out the ride is better than stock with lots of adjustment in ride height and firmness.Been on for 3 years with no issues at all.Curious about your theory on the gel in the seat conducting heat.I have a gel insert and you could fry eggs on my seat.

Quick Reply: Air shocks for a softail worth it?