Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air shocks for a softail worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007 | 09:05 PM
Old No7
Novice
Default RE: Air shocks for a softail worth it?

[quote]ORIGINAL: Hammer02
...there are issues with that style of shock as well as some of the others.

Shotgunshock dosnt claim to be perfect,just the best softail air suspension in the univerce. You state that the platniums work wel,l possibly better than stock shocks even in the lowered position? So the question i have is what issues are you referring to.? Is it the one piece design? What problum do you anticipate there? There are other systems that look like the shotgunshock but we have a paten pending on our internal valing technology. The platnium has a manifold with four electro magnetic solnoids controling air flow resulting in height and firmness control. The shotgunshock has the same technology in the shock body resulting in a safe compact design.

Old 07-07-2007 | 09:40 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

The first problem I see is how do you change your transmission fluid?

The best in the universe? That's a pretty tall claim with how many units in the field on customers bikes?

Old 07-08-2007 | 09:34 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member

The cost of the air ride, a custom made Corbin, and you will still have the heat since you have the crossover and are running lean with a stage 1 download. Add the expense of IPODs and communication work arounds. My advice would be to adjust the stock shocks and if that doesn't work, consider a Touring bike. I rented an Eglide Classic for a week in April and rode from early morning until dark every night and the ride was MUCH better than a Softail. Not only that, the batwing was better and the bags with the Tourpak was more than enough room for a weeks worth of stuff.

There is nothing wrong with a Softail and I will always have one. But there is nothing wrong with buying a Touring bike that better serves putting on lots of miles. Most people buying Touring bikes are migrating from other models after deciding comfort was the most important issue.

I will say this...the Eglide had heat issues too. The bike was extremely lean and if sitting still was almost unbearable. First thing I would do is change out the pipes, air cleaner and put a race tuner on it.

Best of luck...

Old 07-08-2007 | 12:08 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior

Those shocks look ok. Having said that... I hope they put more thought into their product than their web site. That has to be the worst web site I have ever seen. Buggered if I could find a price on there... do you know how much they cost?

DeanO

Old 07-08-2007 | 12:10 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior

How come I have never noticed that you mention you have a dyna lowrider before? You got any pics Steve?

DeanO

Old 07-08-2007 | 12:35 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior

Hey (BRO),

I'm not even from your country yet I realise that that is both regional and class based. Shame you don't realise it. On average I would guess that most of those who use dude or mate instead of bro probably have an iq about 20 - 30 points higher. Infact you may well find that those same people CHOOSE not to use that term as opposed to their other options based on how they are perceived.

DeanO

Old 07-08-2007 | 05:28 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

lol... I like how you pointed out Hammer ..how would you drain the tranny fluid.. hah.. wtf...
looked like a good system, until you mentioned that..

Deano, the price on his site for the shotgun shock was 1550.00 or so... but again how do you drain your trans fluid, maybe he can enlighten us on that..
guess he ain't an aussie, Deano... took offence to mate

I have a pic of my dyna around here somewhere.. i don't own it anymore, miss her a lot tho. carbed 88

Old 07-08-2007 | 05:35 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

It's the same issue that the early Legend system had too.

I like that it has very few air lines....but as far as being the best on the planet?

That's a tall claim considering I have yet to find even one person (when I was looking for my air ride) that had this system on their bike.

Old 07-09-2007 | 03:47 PM
Old No7
Novice

Hammer, thats a good question about draining the trans oil. The shotgunshock comes with a proprietary banjo bolt used to relocate the trany drain away from the shock. The shotgun shock retails for 1550and we offer promotional pricing on occations. when purchasing parts for your motorcycle the initial cost is not as impotant as maintenance and replacment cost. Stock shocks are good for about thirty thousand miles, the shotgunshock will last a life time since it is fully rtebuildable by replacing the seals. The unit is constructed from 1/4 in thick 6061 billit alluminium and is precision honed and then polished and hard anodized. Regards JD

Old 07-09-2007 | 05:43 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey old no7 can you post a picture of the shotgun installed from an underside view? pointing out this proprietary banjo bolt? I searched the web and only found this longhair rocker talking about f'n his old lady across the bikes back fender while someone messed with the Shotgun shock raising it and lowering it and then pushing on it.

And the one pic I could find is of a wiring route.. it doesn't show the shotgun shock installed..

Ya more pics please would go a long way to sell the Shotgun shock, and maybe some testimonials..

Quick Reply: Air shocks for a softail worth it?