Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air shocks for a softail worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007 | 12:12 AM
darkside
Banned
Default RE: Air shocks for a softail worth it?

I had the memory foam done on my seat and I can ride till My mind goes numb before my azz.I rode my friends night train with the platinum air the other day and have to say I,ll be doing this mod over the winter,absolutely night and day difference.Ive spent alot of time adjusting my shocks to get the ride as good as I can and it pails in comparison to the platinum air ride.

Old 07-04-2007 | 01:06 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: darkside

I had the memory foam done on my seat and I can ride till My mind goes numb before my azz.I rode my friends night train with the platinum air the other day and have to say I,ll be doing this mod over the winter,absolutely night and day difference.Ive spent alot of time adjusting my shocks to get the ride as good as I can and it pails in comparison to the platinum air ride.
hmmm...interesting on both points...thanks!

Old 07-04-2007 | 01:45 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Hammer02

A seat...no matter how great it is...will not even come close to mimicking the ride you get with a touring bike or an Air Ride.

If it's the heat issue maybe use a heat reflective tape or wrap on the bottom of your seat.
bullshit

if u want a brain dead ride then by all means go ahead buy the f'n mini 2 wheeled SUV
they fracking suck actually.. follow one.. listen to them.. they sound like rock tumblers..(non-07s)

they ride nice...after a certain rpm.... so f'n wut they have cruse control and a place for a radio
don't let them fools who say they don't ride with chaps or leathers on their legs fool ya ..because of their stupid fulgy lowers..
who the f' cares about CB radio....what a pile of crap... try HAM radio..for the non-brain dead
radio.. wtf.. blasting tunes while riding so others who are near can hear... tune should be for yourself not others.. invest in a ipod nano..
air ride? put them on ur bike.. so what (actually get the 10 dollar shock adjuster tool from your local HD shop and adjust your stock ones see if you can calm the bumps..
bags... wtf your deluxe or my fatboy can handle all the bags a person needs when doing some traveling..

bars, seat are what need to be adjusted on all bikes... 518s will rock your socks on a Softail...like they do on a RK...my 504s doing just fine..seat coming next.. corbin

Old 07-04-2007 | 02:02 AM
RiggidyRaw
Tourer

This forum is full of opinions. What works for 1 person may not work for the rest. To sum up what everyone has said previously. If you have the money, go ahead and invest in an air ride suspension or better shocks than stock. It's a no brainer, you have a softail, so why even compare it to a bagger. In order to get the perfect ride, however you will need a comfortable seat and handlebars to fit YOU!

Old 07-04-2007 | 11:34 AM
Bluerose

Ummm...ok. This is not a touring model bashing thread.

Seriously guys... I just want to know if the air suspentions are worth it and yes I plan on trying some adjustments to my current shocks.

I am not trying to "mimic" a touring bike....I am trying to get a better ride on my softail. Like I said I am not looking for cadillac ride just a better ride. There are a few bumps I go over every day (no I can't really avoid them) that are bone jarring and if I can lessen the pain I would be very happy.

I have already adjusted the seat once and it does not seem to be working so I already had plans to replace the seat. Now that it is shaved and has a gel pack I seem to get a massive amount of heat actually through the seat. which is burning my leg. It took putting on a custom made heat shield to define where that heat was coming from. I also setup a good ergonomic seating arrangement.Most of my back problems come from having passengers....notjust the ride of my bike. It's the same on a touring bike and a softail btw.

Personally I am adding communications with an ipod connection and a connection for our Zumo. Hubby and I ride together on weekends and trips so talking to him once in a while is a good thing because the person in front can't always be watching thier rear view mirror and catch every hand signal. As for music......No, I don't want to put earbuds in my ears because I think they are both unsafe and uncomfortable. I'm even in to the cruise control and may buy a unit. Hubby and I take a long trip 1000 miles plus each year and we often travel 300 to 500 miles on weekends. On those long runs and since I use it commute I havefound there were some issues with the bike that I would like to correct.

It's all a matter of what you want out of YOUR bike. Haven't really been sure I wanted a touring bike but if that's what it takes to get comfortable then that's what it takes. If I can get a good mix between there is no reason I shouldn't but I don't want to throw in bad money.

I'm not new to this bike....I don't needinfo on how a softail rides, I'm keenly aware. I'm just seeking information on adjusting that ride. Just because I ride a softail does not mean I have to be a macho commando girl and "suck it up". Get a grip folks.

Old 07-04-2007 | 03:27 PM
str8pipe
Advanced

i would try to adjust the shocks before i spent the money for air. it will probably help alot.

Old 07-04-2007 | 04:29 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: vertigo14

A seat...no matter how great it is...will not even come close to mimicking the ride you get with a touring bike or an Air Ride.

If it's the heat issue maybe use a heat reflective tape or wrap on the bottom of your seat.
bullshit
Bullshit what? Do you think a seat on a softail will make it ride like a touring bike? It won't.

if u want a brain dead ride then by all means go ahead buy the f'n mini 2 wheeled SUV
they fracking suck actually.. follow one.. listen to them.. they sound like rock tumblers..(non-07s)
Either you're mental or stupid. You quoted me and come up with this drivel....look at my bike....does it look like a 2 wheel SUV? I was answering Blue Rose's questions and other comments in the thread.

they ride nice...after a certain rpm.... so f'n wut they have cruse control and a place for a radio
don't let them fools who say they don't ride with chaps or leathers on their legs fool ya ..because of their stupid fulgy lowers..
who the f' cares about CB radio....what a pile of crap... try HAM radio..for the non-brain dead
radio.. wtf.. blasting tunes while riding so others who are near can hear... tune should be for yourself not others.. invest in a ipod nano..
air ride? put them on ur bike.. so what (actually get the 10 dollar shock adjuster tool from your local HD shop and adjust your stock ones see if you can calm the bumps..
bags... wtf your deluxe or my fatboy can handle all the bags a person needs when doing some traveling..
More mindless crap that doesn't address her questions.

bars, seat are what need to be adjusted on all bikes... 518s will rock your socks on a Softail...like they do on a RK...my 504s doing just fine..seat coming next.. corbin

You can rant and rave all you want but if you think changing a seat on a softail (which is the post that you quoted of mine) is going to make a softail ride like a Touring bike...then you're demented.

Period.

Old 07-05-2007 | 04:42 PM
bone2
Tourer

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 07-05-2007 | 05:22 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: vertigo14
bullshit
Bullshit what? Do you think a seat on a softail will make it ride like a touring bike? It won't.
A seat can make the difference on an enjoyable ride, that for certain. Many people rip off the stocks touring seats for more comfy seats. Those same seats are used on other types of bikes.. Classic Vintage Solo.. to the Touring 2 ups.. YEP thats right, same f'n seats people use are used on both touring and softails. SO...if you are only referring to the f'n passenger ones with arm rests.. then good luck to you.. (what a joke) or them big f'n seats with the fairing and speakers built in.. whatever.
Either you're mental or stupid. You quoted me and come up with this drivel....look at my bike....does it look like a 2 wheel SUV? I was answering Blue Rose's questions and other comments in the thread.
That's my opinion, they have all the amenities of a SUV, why not call them so.
I cant understand why folks call them bikes.
I have followed quite a few Baggers... don't like em they sound bad and hard to see around.. so big and blocky.. like a VAN from the 70s or one of them new fangled SUVs
I even test road a street glide and a Electra glide standard with a 103 kit
I don't need to look at your bike.
Insults will get you no where, idiot.

More mindless crap that doesn't address her questions.
You're f'n mindless fool, did you even read what she wrote.. she was interested in a radio, trying to calm the bone jarring bumps on her daily commute, to other stuff. WHO the f do you think you are? mr. big shot named HAMMER... lol calling someone mindless.. OH BOY... good one f'head.

I had my opinions on certain things, where the stubborn bagger riders think only there type of ride can handle. Which is bullshit.
(yawn)

You can rant and rave all you want but if you think changing a seat on a softail (which is the post that you quoted of mine) is going to make a softail ride like a Touring bike...then you're demented.
Period.
[/quote]
F'n stupid lamer mr Hammer02, your the boneheaded person who can't understand. WHY teh f' do you think bagger riders, other bike riders change the bars and seat? For comfort and sometimes LOOKs(but might get best of both worlds, eh). Now a Touring bike.. make a softail ride like a tourin

Old 07-05-2007 | 08:35 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

I think my point is proven...and the idiot is clear.

Sorry Blue Rose for letting this thread get to this.

Quick Reply: Air shocks for a softail worth it?