Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air shocks for a softail worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007 | 01:49 PM
gconklin
Road Master
Default RE: Air shocks for a softail worth it?

i did a Corbin ride-in fit years ago and loved the experience as well. I might go back in for upgrading to some gelpads or something to give a little more cushion.

as far as heat going through, not a problem at all. I have so little foam between me and the seat frame and don't feel any engine heat there.

Old 07-03-2007 | 03:15 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain

OldBoldPilot - thanks for taking the time to share some excellent advice. I'm watching this thread because I am also considering changes to my riding position on the Deluxe. Your advice is logical and I really appreciate your sharing your experience.

Jeff

Old 07-03-2007 | 03:45 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Riders Club Member

Happy to do it. There's no sweeter feeling than when you KNOW that your bike is, finally, set up just perfectly from the standpoint of comfort and ride-all-day-ability.

Philip

Old 07-03-2007 | 05:30 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

I love my air ride. I wouldn't havea softail without it now.

I do like the slammed look and this allows me to have that and a nice ride when I want it.

I have the Platinum Air setup and I can adjust the rebound just like you can with the spring rates plus you get the plush ride when you want it.

They are pricey...but it's a Harley.....and it's cheaper than going to a touring bike if you already like your Deluxe.

Old 07-03-2007 | 05:38 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: gconklin

i did a Corbin ride-in fit years ago and loved the experience as well. I might go back in for upgrading to some gelpads or something to give a little more cushion.

as far as heat going through, not a problem at all. I have so little foam between me and the seat frame and don't feel any engine heat there.
I have Gel in my seat...don't recommend it....keeps that seat mighty hot in the summer. Heck might be what is collectig the heat in the first place. It definatley has done nothing to make it cushy.

Old 07-03-2007 | 05:40 PM
gconklin
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

I have Gel in my seat...don't recommend it....keeps that seat mighty hot in the summer. Heck might be what is collectig the heat in the first place. It definatley has done nothing to make it cushy.
Hmmm, good to know! Thanks for the save.

Old 07-03-2007 | 06:05 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member

Talk to BadX, he is a sponsor of this site and does modifications to your stock seat. I personally have not had him do any work for me, but everyone that I know of that has had him do work has been more than pleased. His company is Mean City Cycles.

Chris

Old 07-03-2007 | 06:45 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

A seat...no matter how great it is...will not even come close to mimicking the ride you get with a touring bike or an Air Ride.

If it's the heat issue maybe use a heat reflective tape or wrap on the bottom of your seat.

Old 07-03-2007 | 08:33 PM
mori55
Tourer

Go on ebay and get a Heritage seat, thats what i did with my Deluxe and it solved most of my problems. Plus you can get em cheap on ebay and if you don't like re ebay it.

Old 07-03-2007 | 10:15 PM
Bluerose

I have yet to impressed by any of the softail seat...the only one I might consider is the springer seat

Quick Reply: Air shocks for a softail worth it?